• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is church attendance that important?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I have been struggling lately. I became a Christian again earlier this year and have been looking at churches. It seems when I start getting involved, I lose interest. I believe in God, love Jesus and want to follow his teachings, but I want to take part in helping the poor, sick and marginalized more than I want to go to Sunday services. I want community and like-minded folks, nonetheless. Help!

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
I have been struggling lately. I became a Christian again earlier this year and have been looking at churches. It seems when I start getting involved, I lose interest. I believe in God, love Jesus and want to follow his teachings, but I want to take part in helping the poor, sick and marginalized more than I want to go to Sunday services. I want community and like-minded folks, nonetheless. Help!
Mmm, I'm sorry to see you are struggling to find a community that suits you.
Keep trying, as a congregation is very important .. even if you have to move.

Of course, this doesn't stop you getting involved with charity and voluntary work..
..if you have time, that is. :)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
First off, I'm very sorry to hear you are going through this difficulty.

I think we need more information. When you say get involved, what exactly does that mean? Usually "getting involved in a church" means going each Sunday, socializing with the others there, joining subgroups like the choir or the homeless ministry, etc. Is that what you are doing?

It is possible you are unhappy because you have an unrealistic expectations. Church is not meant to entertain us. It is designed to worship God. People often will enjoy some aspects more than others. For example, I really hate sermons. They bore me to death because they are not interactive and it is almost impossible for my ADHD mind not to wander. But I sit there respectfully during the sermon because by doing so, I get the benefits of being part of my synagogue. IOW being part of a church is what we call a package deal.

It is also possible that you simply aren't being patient enough. It takes time for new friendships to form. It could very well be that you will be happier given more time.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
First off, I'm very sorry to hear you are going through this difficulty.

I think we need more information. When you say get involved, what exactly does that mean? Usually "getting involved in a church" means going each Sunday, socializing with the others there, joining subgroups like the choir or the homeless ministry, etc. Is that what you are doing?

It is possible you are unhappy because you have an unrealistic expectations. Church is not meant to entertain us. It is designed to worship God. People often will enjoy some aspects more than others. For example, I really hate sermons. They bore me to death because they are not interactive and it is almost impossible for my ADHD mind not to wander. But I sit there respectfully during the sermon because by doing so, I get the benefits of being part of my synagogue. IOW being part of a church is what we call a package deal.

It is also possible that you simply aren't being patient enough. It takes time for new friendships to form. It could very well be that you will be happier given more time.
I like the ministries, small group discussion/studies and things like that. Sitting in service listening isn't as compelling. If I am learning how to be more Christ-like I like it. I worship God wherever. Yes, I am super impatient. One of my flaws.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Turn the search on its head: Contact your local charities that help the homeless, and they can tell you which churches are involved. There are other places, too: hospitals, nursing homes, orphanages, Red Cross, etc.

Otherwise you might be shooting in the dark.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Turn the search on its head: Contact your local charities that help the homeless, and they can tell you which churches are involved. There are other places, too: hospitals, nursing homes, orphanages, Red Cross, etc.

Otherwise you might be shooting in the dark.

Nice, thanks!!

InChrist

Free4ever
I feel very blessed because the last two churches I’ve been involved with are very community oriented. The people sincerely love Jesus and are welcoming and caring toward one another. There are ministries and outreach opportunities with the local food bank, homeless shelter, making meals for people for people in the community when needs or emergencies arise (church or non-church members). Besides that the Sunday sermons are always biblical, inspiring, and practical.
Hopefully, you can find a church which draws you close to God, inspires you, and provides opportunities to serve others.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
There is one out there, just keep moving and God will get you to the right one!

Both community and church are important. People always like one more than the other so think of it as eating vs cleaning up. ) Both are necessary

David1967

Premium Member
Perhaps you just haven't found the right church for you yet. Of course, you don't have to be a part of a church to help the sick and the poor, but a good place of worship can be a good source of community and support.

Bthoth

Attending church can be helpful to meet people.

But leave your wallet at home.

Helping people is about natural for an honest soul. You do not need church for that.

Psalm23

Some churches I have been to have groups to go to that can be a good place to meet people. I met my best friend from a small young adults group. I wish you the best with finding community. I'm hoping to connect with some more people as well.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Church provides culture where you can help each other to be motivated to do good and can have a multiplier effect.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Church or other Temple of ancient religions attendance? When I want to to visit a museum of ancient rituals of worship.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I'm fortunate that I've found a variety of friends who understand I don't do services, and yet my dear Southern Baptist keeps trying. LOL The most they get from me is a monthly hymn singing gig at a local rest home.

I work with United Methodist in community outreach and they have been generous in letting my ESL classes meet in their fellowship hall. They never push, but I'm always invited for things like Linten Lunch, Community Suppers, etc.

The Food Bank is sponsored by yet another local church, though I'm not a lot of help to them.

I could stay as busy as I'd like in community work through one singular non-profit that is tied to none of these churches, but works with them and others. That's what got me into the ESL program that keeps me so busy. . .and happy.

That's where I suggest you look, or start one yourself. You can reach out to all to help with their projects, and/or get help with yours, without "joining" any.

Good luck in finding a starting point -- it's the best "church life" I've ever enjoyed.

Tinkerpeach

No it isn’t.

I don’t attend Church because I can never fully agree with who is leading it.

Still it’s important to socialize with other Christians because it helps keep your faith strong.

There are many ways to do this.

Listen to sermons on YouTube or the radio, friends, family, Bible studies, outreach programs, even discussing God on religious forums.

Going to a building at a specific time on a specific day is not required for salvation.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife & I are pretty much fed up with both our local parish that we've belonged to for almost 50 years and also the Catholic Church in general as both have gotten so political.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I don’t think it is one or the other but both. We are all living stones built together as one and each one has significance.

It sounds like all you have to do is find a church that has a desire to impact the community as local missions. It just may be God trying to use you as a catalyst to start that specific ministry.

Obviously you have other people who are interested in other areas like reaching young people that may not want to be involved in your specific area because God has placed them to reach young people. But look at what can happen… you started a ministry reaching the poor and you have project to help clean a yard, wash the walls and paint the outside of a marginalized elderly poor person. So you went to the person in charge of the youth and said, “Wouldn’t it be great to give young people significance and let them see how they can help someone who is marginalized by have a summer project… this elderly person?"

Now synergy happens and both areas grow. (Might remember not to despise small beginningsP

A body has many parts but they all can work together. When we have “a complaint” (a good thing) - it might be God calling you to help a church be all they can be.

PS -
Ephesians 4:16
from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

Sometimes, the group we think we don’t need, God has tempered it so that we actually need them the most and visa-versa. The church definitely needs you and there is one out there that God is sending you to.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I don’t attend Church because I can never fully agree with who is leading it.
I'm just curious, not judging here. May I ask what beliefs are these that you have that are at odds with various churches.

Here are my own thoughts, and it's perfectly okay if you see things differently. It makes sense to me that a person would not feel comfortable attending if that person disagrees with the core teachings, such as that Jesus is God and messiah and he died for you sins. On the other hand, there is no such thing as a church that is going to agree with anyone on every single issue. This isn't really an obstacle to worship with that community.

I know that any synagogue I attend is not going to match me perfectly. One may drive me nuts because they light candles after Shabbat has already started. Another one doesn't want me to sit in the same area as men. But I find it meaningful just being with my fellow Jews, praising God together. Ultimately, I feel at home in any synagogue.