• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is death the only way to prove the existance of God?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I think people who have had Near Death Experiences will tell you there is something God-like out there. What that something is exactly may be more than we can fully understand. But I do believe there is something even before I die.
That could easily be attributed to the chemicals in the brain that are released when the body is dying, though. So, I don't think it's fair to consider that as evidence.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Meh, an overhead hospital lamp and the last dream before death is easily understandable.
Many of these cases include knowledge and an out-of-body view of events giving knowledge of things that could not have been learned through a lamp and a coherent dream by a flat-lined brain.

George-ananda

Premium Member
That could easily be attributed to the chemicals in the brain that are released when the body is dying, though. So, I don't think it's fair to consider that as evidence.
When the experience includes elements that can not be explained by the chemical release theory, I think it is fair to consider this evidence (it is not proof, which might be impossible). I think the evidence strongly suggests that many do observe a peaceful feeling from an outside the body perspective and report facts later where their knowledge is not explainable through 'normal' means.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
When the experience includes elements that can not be explained by the chemical release theory, I think it is fair to consider this evidence (it is not proof, which might be impossible). I think the evidence strongly suggests that many do observe a peaceful feeling from an outside the body perspective and report facts later where their knowledge is not explainable through 'normal' means.
Can you provide an example of this?

George-ananda

Premium Member
Perhaps coming back from the dead could prove if there is any afterlife or not. But just dying doesn't prove anything, people die every minute.
I also believe people have communicated to loved ones and mediums after death. Some cases I believe have too much detailed knowledge to 'explain away'. Does that qualify as coming back from the dead or does that require a physical body?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So many people argue about the existance of God.So i want to know what do you think about it?
God is a very arbitrary and ultimately personal concept. Optional, too.

In a typical situation, it is just a personification of what the specific person considers sacred, moral and worth of reverence.

Demonslayer

Many of these cases include knowledge and an out-of-body view of events giving knowledge of things that could not have been learned through a lamp and a coherent dream by a flat-lined brain.

Or so these folks say. The old "she knew things she couldn't possibly have known" is the oldest trick in the Fortune Teller book. Charlatans have been duping rubes with this parlor trick since the dawn of time. Further, if you go to a psychic and they feel around until they tell you something about yourself that they "couldn't have known" at least the psychic had to glean the information from the person. In stories of NDE you could be flat out being lied to.

Unless it happens to you, you're taking the word of people telling you a story. No different from the fact that many alien abduction cases include peculiar 'unexplainable' scars, a missing fetus, and memories of being on a cold, steel table surrounded by strange forms.

If you read enough cases of NDEs, alien abduction, divine contact, exorcism or any of these types of things you'll see many of the descriptions have similarities. This can seem very convincing. But there really is no more reason to believe the people telling the NDE stories than there is to believe stories of anal probes or pesky demon infestation.

Demonslayer

I also believe people have communicated to loved ones and mediums after death. Some cases I believe have too much detailed knowledge to 'explain away'. Does that qualify as coming back from the dead or does that require a physical body?

If any of this could be verified, yes it would qualify. But I'm not taking some 'medium's' word that my grandmother...(Dotty right? No? Dorothy...no? Doris! Yes! I knew it was Doris!) just said hello, everything is great in heaven, and hopes I have fun on my next vacation to...(Hawaii right...no?...California?.....)

George-ananda

Premium Member
Or so these folks say. The old "she knew things she couldn't possibly have known" is the oldest trick in the Fortune Teller book. Charlatans have been duping rubes with this parlor trick since the dawn of time. Further, if you go to a psychic and they feel around until they tell you something about yourself that they "couldn't have known" at least the psychic had to glean the information from the person. In stories of NDE you could be flat out being lied to.

Unless it happens to you, you're taking the word of people telling you a story. No different from the fact that many alien abduction cases include peculiar 'unexplainable' scars, a missing fetus, and memories of being on a cold, steel table surrounded by strange forms.

If you read enough cases of NDEs, alien abduction, divine contact, exorcism or any of these types of things you'll see many of the descriptions have similarities. This can seem very convincing. But there really is no more reason to believe the people telling the NDE stories than there is to believe stories of anal probes or pesky demon infestation.
First of all I have spent considerable time studying allegedly beyond the normal phenomena and I am certainly well aware of al the explanations and thoughts you present above and my quite strong personal conclusion is that things occur that are not explainable by what you say above. An understanding requires immersion in the data and a consideration of all possible things. Certainly there are frauds, liars, and the things you say above, but is that the WHOLE story? I believe dramatic things do occur not explainable through normal phenomena.

George-ananda

Premium Member
If any of this could be verified, yes it would qualify. But I'm not taking some 'medium's' word that my grandmother...(Dotty right? No? Dorothy...no? Doris! Yes! I knew it was Doris!) just said hello, everything is great in heaven, and hopes I have fun on my next vacation to...(Hawaii right...no?...California?.....)
If there was just the type of things you describe above, I would not believe either.

Prizebeatz1

How would that apply to proving God's existence specifically? Wouldn't that merely subjectively prove that you think God is good?

I think it refers to our willingness to find out for ourselves that the Lord is good. We are the proof of God's existence. It is a matter of reverse engineering the personality and realizing that the true self has been there all along. We touch the innocent part of us that we left behind during the transition to adulthood. We are born again and have new life. It is a miracle beyond belief.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I think it refers to our willingness to find out for ourselves that the Lord is good. We are the proof of God's existence. It is a matter of reverse engineering the personality and realizing that the true self has been there all along. We touch the innocent part of us that we left behind during the transition to adulthood. We are born again and have new life. It is a miracle beyond belief.
My point is that a personal realization infers only a subjective proof. It doesn't objectively prove anything.