• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Deism rational?

Even though I am technically an atheist, I started out somewhat in my spiritual deconstruction as a Deist. It makes me beg the question, is Deism rational compared to Theism/other religions? Also, I would be interested in hearing from other Deists. I'm at the point in my journey where even though I'm technically an agnostic and atheist, I question to whether there could be some kind of higher power/intelligence to the universe. Not anything claimed by religions.

Could it be possible that some kind of higher power, whether you consider them a "god," or not, willed the universe into existence essentially through setting things in motion and leaving them to their own devices? Left the universe to its own natural laws and evolution? There is of course, with this, the god of the gaps issue. The whole "I don't have the answers to the origins of the universe, so it must have been god." I don't know what to think about that. Obviously, there is no proof of any of this. There does appear to be some patterns in nature/the universe however, though. If going full into it, I think it's an interesting notion that this "creator god," of Deism could have potentially became one with the universe, causing the big bang, which set the universe in motion, creating the laws of nature and physics. This "god," may have not even created us directly, but by allowing the universe playout through its own natural order, we luckily became a species through evolution. This would explain certain things like the lack of interacting, not answering prayers, etc. However, I recognize this is merely speculation.

Any thoughts?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Since this is discuss, I will do it like this. It doesn't really matter if it is rational or not, because that is a belief also. Rather does it work for you? That is the first question. The second is how does it connect to how you treat other humans?

Since this is discuss, I will do it like this. It doesn't really matter if it is rational or not, because that is a belief also. Rather does it work for you? That is the first question. The second is how does it connect to how you treat other humans?
I am a humanist, so embracing others and treating others well is at the top of my moral values. I think "Deism," technically allows for this. Many religions, however, by their nature, don't. I don't think I would call myself a Deist however. I am merely expressing different thoughts I have had recently.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I am a humanist, so embracing others and treating others well is at the top of my moral values. I think "Deism," technically allows for this. Many religions, however, by their nature, don't. I don't think I would call myself a Deist however. I am merely expressing different thoughts I have had recently.

There is a pitfall in humanism as related to the concept of rational. But that is not related to deism.

Lots of things could be considered not rational. I don't necessarily believe that the concept of human equality and human flourishing isn't rational.
But, I think Deistic beliefs are a bit more rational than most world religions if you are talking a simple concept of "god."

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Lots of things could be considered not rational. I don't necessarily believe that the concept of human equality and human flourishing isn't rational.
But, I think Deistic beliefs are a bit more rational than most world religions if you are talking a simple concept of "god."

It is not that humanism can't be rational. It is that even being rational has a limit for what it can do.
In a sense you still have to believe in morality.

Read this today on the Deism subreddit:

"I’m the type of Deist who understands that utilizing descriptive or prefatory adjectives in such a way as to alter or expand Deism doesn’t change a thing.

-- Deism is NOT a religion, and negates any requirement to possess one.

-- Deism is not made up of sects, factions, categories, or denominations.

-- Deism proves itself to be a certainty which, unlike most mainstream religions that fail to hold their own ground, does not require itself to be flexible, accommodating, or compliant.

-- Deism is an ‘acceptance’ that God created Existence so that it can go on “as it will”, and that God will never intervene or control things, nor will He prevent their inception, conclusions, and outcomes from freely taking place. Thus, it becomes clear that God has full confidence in what He has created, and does not require any degree of approval, protection, or reinforcement.

-- Deism, all by itself, eliminates any need for having a belief in God which is so weak, that it necessarily needs to fall under the auspices of religions, sciences, or conditional beliefs … no less, any outside or interpretive promises, claims, or support.

Acceptance of God, sans rules, conditions, demands, or expectations = Deism."

Pretty powerful. Also, I feel like there are probably a lot of Deists out there, they just don't know that they are one, as they had never heard the term before most likely. I never heard of it awhile back.