• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is demonic possession real ?

Massimo2002

Secularism believes that people are evil because of psychological reasons. But some religious people believe that evil people are evil because they are controlled by Satan and his demons I am wondering witch one is true and makes more sense ? I know most people don't like to hear about Demonic possession because it invalidates free will.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Secularism believes that people are evil because of psychological reasons. But some religious people believe that evil people are evil because they are controlled by Satan and his demons I am wondering witch one is true and makes more sense ? I know most people don't like to hear about Demonic possession because it invalidates free will.

I am secualr and I don't believe people are evil.
As for playing Satan, that is easy. ;)
You are taken over by Satan and will burn in Hell ;) And no, it is an example of how it works and not something I believe.
The problem is that the standard for truth with Satan works for all claims. So there is in effect no truth to it.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's mostly a matter of language and perspective.

If I take a hallucinogenic drug and have a conversation with God, does the fact that I took a drug to achieve this experience mean that I did not converse with God?

The point being that the psychological perspective and a spiritual perspective are not mutually exclusive. They're just two different ways of seeing and understanding a human experiential phenomena.

Massimo2002

It's mostly a matter of language and perspective.

If I take a hallucinogenic drug and have a conversation with God, does the fact that I took a drug to achieve this experience mean that I did not converse with God?

The point being that the psychological perspective and a spiritual perspective are not mutually exclusive. They're just two different ways of seeing and understanding a human experiential phenomena.
Two ways of understanding the unknown.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Of course demon possession is real. Check out these totally real demon possessions

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Still, we will seek to make some sense of it. To make it fit with what we think we do know. Even to the point of 'believing' that we know the truth of it when we don't.

Well, yes. But with some training some aspects of the truth can be avioded and instead simply stated as "it seems to work".

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Here is a fun one to consider. I will make it simple:
Person 1: The truth is that the universe is natural and not something else.
Person 2: The truth is that the universe is from God and not something else.
Me: I don't have to believe in either to have a life.

I.e. You don't have to believe in the truth, because a lot of people don't know the truth, yet they have lives none the less.

Massimo2002

Here is a fun one to consider. I will make it simple:
Person 1: The truth is that the universe is natural and not something else.
Person 2: The truth is that the universe is from God and not something else.
Me: I don't have to believe in either to have a life.

I.e. You don't have to believe in the truth, because a lot of people don't know the truth, yet they have lives none the less.
My life isn't fully fulfilled unless I get the definitive answer to life's biggest questions.

Maninthemiddle

Does being incarcerated invalidate free will, living under Government rule, being Married.
We were granted free will, things happen, the free will was still granted.
If I’m travelling home on a Highway and I hit a pot hole and crash, does that invalidate my right to travel that road.

Massimo2002

Does being incarcerated invalidate free will, living under Government rule, being Married.
We were granted free will, things happen, the free will was still granted.
If I’m travelling home on a Highway and I hit a pot hole and crash, does that invalidate my right to travel that road.
Those things should invalidate free will ?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One explanation couches itself in logos, the other in mythos. As has already been mentioned, these are not mutually exclusive and can be complementary. Logos deals in dry facts and explanations. Mythos deals in lived experience, meaning, and purpose.

Massimo2002

If my Mother gives me the freedom to go to the store and my Father does not allow me, the freedom from my Mother was still granted.
But if you're father stops you then that will of your mother is bypassed therefore restricting your free will in this scenario.