• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "Devil Worship" another Abrahamic faith?

Villager

Thus the evil anti-God of Christianity, is a purely Christian creation.
The Satan of Christianity can be said to the same Satan as that found in the Old Testament or Tanakh. His first mention (and he is intended to be understood as a personal agent, and indeed as an intelligent, and consistently and entirely evil one) comes quite well on in the history of Israel, but at precisely the point at which Israel has achieved significant success, and therefore a threat to Satan. It is as though Satan's existence is taken for granted, he has always been there, but has gone unmentioned due to inaction- other than as the deceiver and tempter of Eden. His intervention is both stimulated by jealous success, which caused him to stand up against Israel, and the opportunity that success provided. Success had gone to David's head, one may well suppose, and that is where Satan saw his opportunity to tempt him. So the role of reactive opposer is added to that of deceiver and tempter.

From this one may deduce that Satan keeps his existence as quiet as possible, and lets sleeping dogs (i.e. those 'safely' occupied in sin) lie. It may be supposed that he stirs himself into action only when he sees a threat. The Christian view is that, in the Christian era, it is only Christianity that he sees as a threat, and he represents himself as a good and religious influence, particularly Christian, in order to try to deceive Christians; and that supposed Satan worship is liable to be a decoy to distract from his real intentions.

The fourth and last remaining role of Satan is seen in Zechariah, when he is seen as accuser. All four roles are noted in the New Testament, which adds no more roles or characteristics than are found in the Old, though it develops them, as may be expected if Christianity is 'the new Israel'. So one may justifiably say that the Christian view of Satan is that of the Old Testament, and owes nothing genuinely new to the gospels or apostolic ideas.

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
The Satan of Christianity can be said to the same Satan as that found in the Old Testament or Tanakh. His first mention (and he is intended to be understood as a personal agent, and indeed as an intelligent, and consistently and entirely evil one) comes quite well on in the history of Israel, but at precisely the point at which Israel has achieved significant success, and therefore a threat to Satan. It is as though Satan's existence is taken for granted, he has always been there, but has gone unmentioned due to inaction- other than as the deceiver and tempter of Eden. His intervention is both stimulated by jealous success, which caused him to stand up against Israel, and the opportunity that success provided. Success had gone to David's head, one may well suppose, and that is where Satan saw his opportunity to tempt him. So the role of reactive opposer is added to that of deceiver and tempter.

From this one may deduce that Satan keeps his existence as quiet as possible, and lets sleeping dogs (i.e. those 'safely occupied in sin) lie. It may be supposed that he stirs himself into action only when he sees a threat. The Christian view is that, in the Christian era, it is only Christianity that he sees as a threat, and he represents himself as a good and religious influence, particularly Christian, in order to try to deceive Christians; and that supposed Satan worship is liable to be a decoy to distract from his real intentions.

The fourth and last remaining role of Satan is seen in Zechariah, when he is seen as accuser. All four roles are noted in the New Testament, which adds no more roles or characteristics than are found in the Old, though it develops them, as may be expected if Christianity is 'the new Israel'. So one may justifiably say that the Christian view of Satan is that of the Old Testament, and owes nothing genuinely new to the gospels or apostolic ideas.

This seems like a fine Christian viewpoint. It does not reflect Jewish understandings of the satan in Jewish text.

Levite

Higher and Higher
So you're saying that the Christian interpretation of ha-Satan is that of the prosecuting angel and that God is the source of Evil?

I don't know that that's what he was saying, but it seems like that would be a difficult proposition to support, insofar as I understand Christian theology.

But it does describe the usual traditional Jewish understanding pretty well.

GabrielWithoutWings

I don't know that that's what he was saying, but it seems like that would be a difficult proposition to support, insofar as I understand Christian theology.

But it does describe the usual traditional Jewish understanding pretty well.

He stated the Satan of Christianity is the same as the Satan of the Old Testament. I figured that meant a Judaic understanding.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It appears that what we have here is a disagreement between a scholar's definition of Abrahamic Faith and an Adherent's definition. A scholar says that Abrahamic means any faith that acknowledges the existance of the Abrahamic God while an Adherent says it means anyone who acknowledges that the Abrahamic God is the supreme power. I choose the scholar's definition.
I'm only going to deal with this, and not the other responses directed at me as this really boils down to what the discussion is.

First, the scholar definition is not what you said. I have never seen a scholar use such a definition. That simply shows your biases on this subject.

If we take the so called "scholar" definition, we get such a broad definition that many many religions fall into. Hinduism, to a point, becomes an Abrahamic religion as some Hindus recognize the Abrahamic God. Many Pagans recognize the Abrahamic God. So, with your definition, various forms of Hinduism, and Paganism are Abrahamic faiths. Now that is just ridiculous.

If you look at the scholarly definition of Abrahamic faith, it will contain at least two things for the most part. One, the faith worships the god of Abraham (which generally means it is a monotheistic religion). Second, they see their spiritual father as Abraham. There are some even more strict definitions, but those are two things that most scholarly definitions agree on.

Simply recognizing that Abrahamic God does not make one part of the Abrahamic faith. That is too broad of a definition, that simply is not supported.

Villager

So you're saying that the Christian interpretation of ha-Satan is that of the prosecuting angel and that God is the source of Evil?
Who is 'you'?

How can God be the source of evil? God gives free will. God only knows why, but he does give it, to created men and created angels alike, to do with as they will. Satan is the created, but very powerful angel who leads the war against God, though he now knows that his end is in sight, and his time is short before he goes to 'the lake of fire'.

Erebus

Ok, I've read through the entire thread while badly hungover...

Draka: I believe I understand where you're coming from. If one worships Loki one is a Norse Pagan, If one worships Hades one is a Greek Pagan. Why then is one who worships Satan not Abrahamic?

I believe I said in the other thread that those few Satanists who worship the biblical Satan could possibly be called Abrahamic. I also have a plethora of material covering why Neo-Satanists are not themselves Abrahamic, but I'll try to steer clear of that for this thread ;)

Ok, I'm actually on the fence about calling the Satanists Draka is referring to as Abrahamic, so I'll try to look at a few reasons for and against using the term to describe them. Firstly, I think the strongest argument for calling them Abrahamic is the one Draka already presented. If they worship an entity from the Abrahamic pantheon, why should they not then be considered Abrahmic themselves? At the very least they could be described as being heretical Abrahamics from this argument.

One of the main problems with this argument though is it's largely hypothetical. Neo-Satanists, Luciferians, Setians, Demonolaters and Laveyan Satanists are our representatives of the "Satanic religions" in the West at least and none of them follow the checklist for the hypothetical "Abrahamic Satanist". Furthermore if we look at some of the historical examples of Satanism, we find that not only is it wrapped up in medieval propaganda making it very difficult to glean untarnished facts, but also those few medieval magicians who would call on the aid of Satan and his Demons would do so in the name of God.
In fact, not only was the name of God invoked during medieval demonomancy, but there is a strong emphasis on purity on behalf of the practitioner, "At once, the angel of the Lord appeared to him and said, 'Do not be amazed that the secrets of Solomon have remained hidden, for the Lord intended that this science would never fall into the hands of the wicked and the impure.'" p.4, Grimorium Verum, Trans Joseph H. Peterson, 2007
So this is perhaps our best example of "Satanic" practices before the 20th century and this form of magic most certainly falls within Abrahamic tradition (though it may well be considered heretical). However, Satan and his demons are not worshipped or even respected in this context, instead they are forced to appear and bent to the magician's will. Grimorium Verum and the goetic tradition is riddled with warnings against flaws in the rituals and the dangers the spirits present to the magician if not properly called upon and controlled. To me, this places it outside the sphere of Satanism.

Another problem is that rightly or wrongly, Abrahamic faiths have a different attitude to their pantheon than many other religions. It's very much a "you're in or you're out" attitude in some respects insofar as most definitions of "Abrahamic" I've come across require as a minimum the worship of the Abrahamic God and percieve Abraham himself as a spiritual father. Voodoo for example is generally not considered Abrahamic due to it's syncretism, despite actually making full use of the Christian pantheon. At the end of the day, perhaps because of the prevalence of Abrahamic faiths, the title just doesn't really extend to everybody who might use their pantheon.

Of course Devil worshippers have existed in one form or another around the world for millennia. While I'm not particularly knowledgeable about Zoroastrianism, there are some fantastic stories involving followers of Ahriman who were typically evil sorcerers who debased the Zoroastrian religion.

Now, as far as my own beliefs are concerned I would say that there is a Devil who pops up around the world throughout time in different forms and guises. While I'm a polytheist myself, I do believe in the Devil as this adversarial being and that regardless of the name or appearance given to it, it's largely the same spirit. In this sense I would suggest that even the hypothetical Satanist of the OP would fall outside the Abrahamic tradition insofar as their God spans across many religions and times. Of course, that's my own take on the matter.

I didn't want to have to fall back onto saying "It depends how you define Abrahamic" but I'm going to have to. I've been browsing various thoughts on this topic on the internet as well as refering to my own books while writing this post and I can see the arguments for both sides, but remain to be entirely convinced by either. :sorry1:

GabrielWithoutWings

Who is 'you'?

How can God be the source of evil? God gives free will. God only knows why, but he does give it, to created men and created angels alike, to do with as they will. Satan is the created, but very powerful angel who leads the war against God, though he now knows that his end is in sight, and his time is short before he goes to 'the lake of fire'.

Yeshayahu- Isaiah - Chapter 45
7. Who forms light and creates darkness, Who makes peace and creates evil; I am the Lord, Who makes all these.

:sarcastic

Yeah. That.

Villager

Yeshayahu- Isaiah - Chapter 45
7. Who forms light and creates darkness, Who makes peace and creates evil; I am the Lord, Who makes all these.

:sarcastic
"I form light, I create darkness; I make well-being, I create adversity." Is 45:7

Villager

Word of advice? Don't argue with a Jew over correct Old Testament translation. It'll keep you from looking like a *******.
Asterisks? Come now, why so reticent? The deity cannot impugn you, as he/she/it authors worse than that him/her/itself. And why would one who supposes that the deity is the approver of only benison be concerned about 'looking like a *******', anyway?

Anyone who wishes to make serious contribution to this issue will have to do a lot better than quote a translation all of four hundred years old. It seems very strange indeed that we are discussing this worn-out issue by recourse to that clapped-out museum piece, and a 180 degree misrepresentation of a post. But then strange deeds happen on the unaccountable 'net, so maybe one should take them as so much garbage.

GabrielWithoutWings

Asterisks? Come now, why so reticent? The deity cannot impugn you, as he/she/it authors worse than that him/her/itself. And why would one who supposes that the deity is the approver of only benison be concerned about 'looking like a *******', anyway?

I'm reticent because the forum auto-censors certain words.

Anyone who wishes to make serious contribution to this issue will have to do a lot better than quote a translation all of four hundred years old. It seems very strange indeed that we are discussing this worn-out issue by recourse to that clapped-out museum piece, and a 180 degree misrepresentation of a post. But then strange deeds happen on the unaccountable 'net, so maybe one should take them as so much garbage.

:rolleyes:

GabrielWithoutWings

So adversity = evil, now. Thank you.

Why should anyone bother to read such stuff?

Well, since ha-Satan is usually translated as 'the adversary' and it says God creates 'adversity', that can be interpreted as God creates that which gives the adversary his adversarial nature. And since in Christian theology, the adversary is The Adversary, that means God creates Adversity.

You're welcome.

Villager

Well, since ha-Satan is usually translated as 'the adversary' and it says God creates 'adversity', that can be interpreted as God creates that which gives the adversary his adversarial nature.
Not by users of dictionaries. You merely got lucky. Sorry, unlucky!

Adversity may be no more than dyspepsia.

Or my fees.

GabrielWithoutWings

Not by users of dictionaries. You merely got lucky. Sorry, unlucky!

Adversity may be no more than dyspepsia.

Or my fees.

Okay, that's fine. If you want to say that Satan is not the antithesis of Good per standard Christian theology and instead say that he's merely a belly-ache, that's your business.