• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is faith under attack --cnn topic generator

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Everything is under attack by someone somewhere. I suspect that faith is no more nor less under attack than atheism is.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Very few people are tolerant towards people and idea which go against theirs. With the exception of Buddhists, likely.

In that sense, all religions are under attack.

wednesday

Jesus
I strongly disagree with the first statement by Amanda Akridge. I believe that just because America doesn't uphold 'Christian' values, that it is a lesser place. Prayer has no place in schools, no one has a right to force children to pray, its basically deciding what they believe in for them.
Michael Rosenberg and Thomas McCauslin are more realistic, they accept the world rather than trying to force religion onto it which i think is more realistic.
Monica Jones and Russell Blackford represent an athiests perspective, i share this, religion deserves to be under attack as its strangling the top positions of the world and its affects need to be mitigated for our societies to run smoothly again. Look at the medieval socities who believed in the 'great chain of being' where the king answered to God, all they ever did was kill eachother. The way things are going we're setting ourselves up to do it again on a larg scale.

robtex

Veteran Member
I strongly disagree with the first statement by Amanda Akridge. I believe that just because America doesn't uphold 'Christian' values, that it is a lesser place. Prayer has no place in schools, no one has a right to force children to pray, its basically deciding what they believe in for them.
Michael Rosenberg and Thomas McCauslin are more realistic, they accept the world rather than trying to force religion onto it which i think is more realistic.
Monica Jones and Russell Blackford represent an athiests perspective, i share this, religion deserves to be under attack as its strangling the top positions of the world and its affects need to be mitigated for our societies to run smoothly again. Look at the medieval socities who believed in the 'great chain of being' where the king answered to God, all they ever did was kill eachother. The way things are going we're setting ourselves up to do it again on a larg scale.

I think cnn did a good job at digging for impacting quotes, if you (or anyone else) see any you think would be a good debate topic splinter it off into its own thread with the quote and source on it.

I think the diversity of quotes represents the current rift we have in our political system schools and social structure though I don't think the sides are believers and unbelievers but more people who feel integration of faith into society is a good thing and those who feel it should be left up to the individual and not a "fabric of society".

It may be about choice versus universal values (values applicable to all) more than about is there or isn't there a God and it may be more about God's land versus the idea of man's land irregardless if it came from God or didn't come from God.

I think the article shows the dichotomy of thinking where one side says uses reason logic and evidence theory to run your daily lives and another group says use faith and divine inspiration and both feel public policy education and the judicial system should be impacted by the side they align themselves with.

wednesday

Jesus
I think cnn did a good job at digging for impacting quotes, if you (or anyone else) see any you think would be a good debate topic splinter it off into its own thread with the quote and source on it.

I think the diversity of quotes represents the current rift we have in our political system schools and social structure though I don't think the sides are believers and unbelievers but more people who feel integration of faith into society is a good thing and those who feel it should be left up to the individual and not a "fabric of society".

It may be about choice versus universal values (values applicable to all) more than about is there or isn't there a God and it may be more about God's land versus the idea of man's land irregardless if it came from God or didn't come from God.

I think the article shows the dichotomy of thinking where one side says uses reason logic and evidence theory to run your daily lives and another group says use faith and divine inspiration and both feel public policy education and the judicial system should be impacted by the side they align themselves with.

Very well said there. Excellent find by the way, its interesting to read comments from both sides of the coin even though i dont live in America. Australia which i like little merica, shares practically the same values.

female11

Freedom of expression
I think that throughout history, it is the faith that have attacked to those that did not wish to have faith. Those that do not have faith, are not dangerous, because them have not business that to defend with help of the religion. But I think that unfortunately the history is full of examples that demonstrates as the religion is used in businesses and political.

robtex

Veteran Member
Very well said there. Excellent find by the way, its interesting to read comments from both sides of the coin even though i dont live in America. Australia which i like little merica, shares practically the same values.

I would say that Australia is an example of a country with a very just and reasonable legal system and strong community structure in the absence of a theocratic model for its judicial system or political system. It also has a strong, Christian and Islamic community as well as lesser religions creating a living example that religion freedom can and does exist in the absence of a theocratic state.

robtex

Veteran Member
I think that throughout history, it is the faith that have attacked to those that did not wish to have faith. Those that do not have faith, are not dangerous, because them have not business that to defend with help of the religion. But I think that unfortunately the history is full of examples that demonstrates as the religion is used in businesses and political.

could you articulate some specific examples from modern America ?

Smoke

Done here.
Faith is not under attack. Faith is on the attack.
Reasonable people should use all non-violent means at their disposal to defend themselves.

PureX

Veteran Member
Your e-mails, I-Reports: Is faith under attack? - CNN.com

On the above links are quotes on the question is "faith under attack." I want to ask RF'ers--is faith under attack in the USA or elsewhere and of the quotes listed is there one you strongly concur or contest? :D
Faith is not under attack. However, willful ignorance based on religious mythology is collapsing under the weight of scientific evidence and common sense. And some people call this religiously inspired willful ignorance, "faith". I do not believe that it is faith, so I do not believve that faith is currently under any kind of attack.

I do also believe that some religious leaders have foolishly and egotistically aligned themselves with certain political factions and have thus inspired some intense public political reactions to religion as a whole that is mostly undeserved. Mixing God and State is never a good idea.