• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Faith Without Works Dead?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is faith without works dead, as the wonderful Llama asserts in another thread?

Can one make significant spiritual progress without works, no matter how strong one's faith?

Is faith required for works, as the astute Lilithu asserts in another thread?

Do works define, inform and illuminate faith? Do works refine faith?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I believe that works help to affirm faith. Getting out there and doing something active (no matter what it is) and getting something done in the name of the God you believe in can be a wonderful experience. And can be taken that faith makes the works more meaningful.

Scott1

Sunstone said:
Nah.... I don't believe that to be 100% true, but as a general rule, most faiths (Jewish/Christian/Muslim) teach that "good works" are an essential part of faith.
Can one make significant spiritual progress without works, no matter how strong one's faith?
Sure... but you have to define what you believe are "works"... to some, just to love another is a "work".... so it would be nearly impossible to have faith without works.

adilrockstar

Sunstone said:

The Bible teaches:

James 2:17-20

So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
Now someone may argue, "some people have faith; others have good deeds." But I say, "How can you show me your faith if you don't have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds."
You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can't you see that faith without good deeds is useless?

Pretty much clears up the Biblical perspective.: hamster :

God Bless

Adil

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Sunstone said:

Faith without "works" is like words without actions - it isn't enough to say that you believe in something, you have to show it, otherwise it's just mental masturbation.

adilrockstar

Gentoo said:
What about YOUR perspective? What do YOU think?

The reason I said the "Biblical Perspective" is that it holds more value than mine. It is the word of God. I can't tell the truth better than the Bible already has.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
adilrockstar said:
The reason I said the "Biblical Perspective" is that it holds more value than mine. It is the word of God. I can't tell the truth better than the Bible already has.

I think that's fine, but surely you have more to say on it than that. But if not, that's okay too.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
adilrockstar said:

I think the point she was trying to make was "is it possible for you to form an opinion if you didn't have a religious text to draw from".

adilrockstar

Gentoo said:
I think that's fine, but surely you have more to say on it than that. But if not, that's okay too.

The scripture said everything perfectly. I don't want to get in the way of God's truth.

When I feel the need, I will interject my own explanations and thoughts, but this time the scripture is plain as day.

My words are my own, the Bible contains the words of God.

Adil

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
adilrockstar said:
The scripture said everything perfectly. I don't want to get in the way of God's truth.

When I feel the need, I will interject my own explanations and thoughts, but this time the scripture is plain as day.

My words are my own, the Bible contains the words of God.

Adil

Okay, I just wanted to make sure :)

adilrockstar

MaddLlama said:
I think the point she was trying to make was "is it possible for you to form an opinion if you didn't have a religious text to draw from".

Sure it is possible.

Why would I do that? God gave me the Bible. If I have a question about ANYTHING I can reffer to God's word and he will answer it for me.

God Bless

Adil

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
adilrockstar said:
Sure it is possible.

Why would I do that? God gave me the Bible. If I have a question about ANYTHING I can reffer to God's word and he will answer it for me.

God Bless

Adil
This is sort of off topic, but, are Christians forbidden from autonomous thinking?

adilrockstar

MaddLlama said:
This is sort of off topic, but, are Christians forbidden from autonomous thinking?

Some things we don't need to even question.

But when I decide what color to paint my living room....well that is autonomous.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think what the others might be saying is that there are several texts that people or peoples believe were given to them by a God. While many respect that, on this forum, we prefer to also understand why people believe the way they do. :)
That means getting their own opinion. If that means simply stating "The Bible states the following: .... I agree with that passage because I believe..." That way, everyone gets to quote their holy text and we also learn what they, personally, think.

adilrockstar

Feathers in Hair said:
I think what the others might be saying is that there are several texts that people or peoples believe were given to them by a God. While many respect that, on this forum, we prefer to also understand why people believe the way they do. :)
That means getting their own opinion. If that means simply stating "The Bible states the following: .... I agree with that passage because I believe..." That way, everyone gets to quote their holy text and we also learn what they, personally, think.

What I don't think everyone is understanding is that I TRULY BELIEVE IN MY GOD.

I am not guessing, hoping, or wishing, I truly believe.

God's word to me is not just a book, it is DIVINE, straight from the Lord God Almighty.

People seem to have a hard time accepting the fact that I believe in God with all of my heart.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does faith suck as an epistemology but work as a vehicle to realization or actualization?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
adilrockstar said:
What I don't think everyone is understanding is that I TRULY BELIEVE IN MY GOD.

I am not guessing, hoping, or wishing, I truly believe.

God's word to me is not just a book, it is DIVINE, straight from the Lord God Almighty.

People seem to have a hard time accepting the fact that I believe in God with all of my heart.

Not as hard of a time as you seem to have understanding that many people here are as devoted to thier belief in thier own religion as you are in yours.

Scott1

MaddLlama said:
Not all of us... in fact, the majority of Christians reject this "Bible-only/sola scriptura" philosophy and have done so for 2,000 years.