• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Faith Without Works Dead?

PureX

Veteran Member
ckdotca said:
" "Faith" is a work.

Faith is hope being acted upon. "

God knows if one has faith regardless of his or her works. Take it to an extreme case, can a prisoner who spends his life in a jail cell still have faith in God? I think it's obvious that without works faith can exist.

From the other end of the spectrum if an athiest dedicates their life to helping others and volunteering, does this mean he or she has faith? This helps show the devide between the two.
You're thinking of "works" only as helping others. But "works" can be adopting an attitude of love and forgiveness toward others (exemplifying Christ). Which even a prisoner can do. Faith without action is just a dead hope. It's sophistry.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Sunstone said:
Is faith without works dead, as the wonderful Llama asserts in another thread?

Can one make significant spiritual progress without works, no matter how strong one's faith?

Is faith required for works, as the astute Lilithu asserts in another thread?

Do works define, inform and illuminate faith? Do works refine faith?

Man does works based upon his own volition but the way a christian who is born again (from above) does these works is that the nature of Christ is dwelling within him causing him to do these from the spirit within him ,that inner man
The misconception here is that many think ,as in many religions,that if they do good deeds/works ,practices towards fellow man that it is the means to heaven or favor with God and man.Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean [thing], and all our righteousnesses [are] as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

The word in it's context is talking about obedience towards the word of God,not mere self righteous acts in hopes to gain ,again favor with God
Jam 1:22But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own
These passages must be taken in context with the rest of the word of God

Such verses as Eph 2:8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:Not of works, lest any man should boast.
No man can earn salvation by mere outward adherence to the law
Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.

Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law

Therefore it is by obedience to the law of love that we act in accordance to our faith,for it is our faith that saves us ,not our works,they only are a by product of the nature of God that has been deposited within us through faith in Jesus

But again men attempt to perform acts of service towards man in order to be justified by God , that in itself is futile.

Gal 2:16Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 3:11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Sunstone said:
Is faith without works dead, as the wonderful Llama asserts in another thread?

Can one make significant spiritual progress without works, no matter how strong one's faith?

Is faith required for works, as the astute Lilithu asserts in another thread?

Do works define, inform and illuminate faith? Do works refine faith?

Faith doesn't require works to exist, but faith does produce works. If you truly believe that something is true, then you will act on it. For example, we believe we will wake up in morning, so we set the alarm, make plans, and so forth. The same is true with religious faith. If you say you have faith, but act as though what you have faith in is untrue, then you are demonstrating your own dishonesty.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
So, I walked into my favorite widget factory the other day. (Actually, it was a Scuba Equipment Manufacturer, but what they produce is of little consequence.) So, how do I KNOW they manufactured widgets? I saw them DO it. There was a pile of fabric a bunch of thread, lots and lots of metal hardware and looky at the end of the line: brand spanking new widgets.

Do they believe that they can produce widgets? I don't even have to ask them that. Their faith compels them to produce widget after widget.

Did they have the same faith before the first widget was built? I don't think it was nearly as deep or as strong, but they they had faith the size of a mustard seed for sure. Nothing like excersizing your faith a little to make it grow a lot!

But what if I walked into the factory and they produced nothing? Would it STILL be a factory? Now, it would be a building that LOOKS like a factory, but until that first widget comes out, it's not really a factory is it?

So how do we know what our faith is supposed to produce?

II Peter 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
NIV

or how about

Galations 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
NIV

then there is that acid test:

John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." NIV

Hmnn... it's funny that the ONE thing shared by these three passages is LOVE. I like that.