• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is freedom of expression important?

LumpHammer

I believe so. In fact I am only here because I believe this is now being eroded. Should we allow people to vent their opinions, no matter how offensive, or do we want to censor? How far do we go? Personally I think anything goes. If it is radical, then most people will see that, and treat it as such, we are adults.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Well, freedom of expression is fine and dandy, but this particular site is not owned by the government. It's a private website that gets to set it's own rules. When a person registers for the forum, they agree to abide by those rules. If you'd prefer to go somewhere where you can be free to be disrespectful to any religion you'd like, and say whatever you please, then you can do that too.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I believe in freedom of expression and that it should not be quashed by the gov't.

However, if someone expresses themselves freely and rudely in my home -- I will freely demand they leave.

Freedom of speech does not mean people must be given free microphones for their speech. It means the gov't should not be oppressive.

And it certainly does not mean that common civility in all forms of public discourse have been rendered moot.

LumpHammer

Well, freedom of expression is fine and dandy, but this particular site is not owned by the government. It's a private website that gets to set it's own rules. When a person registers for the forum, they agree to abide by those rules. If you'd prefer to go somewhere where you can be free to be disrespectful to any religion you'd like, and say whatever you please, then you can do that too.

Well, I wasn't talking necessarily about the website. As I said I am here because of the issue in general and the threat I am feeling. However, if you want to bring it up, Google is a private site, and has been roundly criticised for giving in to censorship.

Aqualung

Tasty
Well, I wasn't talking necessarily about the website. As I said I am here because of the issue in general and the threat I am feeling. However, if you want to bring it up, Google is a private site, and has been roundly criticised for giving in to censorship.

It's also a search engine, and it fails as a search engine if it will only turn up certain searches because others are censored.

LumpHammer

I believe in freedom of expression and that it should not be quashed by the gov't.

However, if someone expresses themselves freely and rudely in my home -- I will freely demand they leave.

Freedom of speech does not mean people must be given free microphones for their speech. It means the gov't should not be oppressive.

And it certainly does not mean that common civility in all forms of public discourse have been rendered moot.

I can't disagree with what you say. And I for one am extremely civil in day to day life. I do however feel incredibly angered by incidents that are happening now more and more regularly, on an almost daily basis.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Exactly.

Actually I am rather tolerant... of peoples opinions when they are in my home. I simply act in a rather bemused fashion until they lighten up. Plus it helps when you can make people feel an inch tall without being excessively rude.

Correct.

True. I suppose one thing I dislike about the "rules" is that I have to dance around what I really want to say, because saying what I am thinking would likely get me banned. The upside however is that it does make me think about something a bit more in depth, rather than dropping the verbal equivelent of a hand grenade and sitting back to chuckle.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I can't disagree with what you say. And I for one am extremely civil in day to day life. I do however feel incredibly angered by incidents that are happening now more and more regularly, on an almost daily basis.
It might help to further the discussion if you highlight some examples for us. :)

Aqualung

Tasty
ok. My most recent, as I have posted on another thread, is the persecution of Lars Vilks. The latest... The Local - Cartoonist forced to leave home

I like to extend freedom of speech to those who make death threats, too. I am free to make people mad with my speech, and they are free to threaten to kill me with their speech. They are not free, however, to actually attempt to carry out those threats (as there is no "freedom of action").

Buttercup

Veteran Member
ok. My most recent, as I have posted on another thread, is the persecution of Lars Vilks. The latest... The Local - Cartoonist forced to leave home
I'm assuming you mean the persecution from extremists regarding his cartoons? Or do you mean being forced to leave his home?

If it's the former....I agree that freedom of expression should be paramount in human endeavors. However, you have to take into consideration how someone else will view your expression. If you are wise, you will show discretion. Now is not the time in history to make a mockery out of Mohammed if you want to live a peaceful life....it's just not worth it. My thought is his motive is to inflame. But, I could be wrong.

If your displeasure is regarding Lars being forced out of his homeland, from what I gathered from the short article, it was for his own safety....and probably the safety of others as well.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Actually I am rather tolerant... of peoples opinions when they are in my home. I simply act in a rather bemused fashion until they lighten up. Plus it helps when you can make people feel an inch tall without being excessively rude.

It's a rare thing that could get you sent out my front door. However, there was the one incident when I sent someone quietly out the door because they would not quit using the n-word in my house.

LumpHammer

I'm assuming you mean the persecution from extremists regarding his cartoons? Or do you mean being forced to leave his home?

If it's the former....I agree that freedom of expression should be paramount in human endeavors. However, you have to take into consideration how someone else will view your expression. If you are wise, you will show discretion. Now is not the time in history to make a mockery out of Mohammed if you want to live a peaceful life....it's just not worth it. My thought is his motive is to inflame. But, I could be wrong.

If your displeasure is regarding Lars being forced out of his homeland, from what I gathered from the short article, it was for his own safety....and probably the safety of others as well.

It is both
Governments, monarchies, and most religions can be mocked, ridiculed
Cartoons, stories, films are made that take the ****.
However there is one, now where we cannot even show a picture, let alone seriously criticize.
I just do not want to see my freedoms eroded.
Which they already have, in the last hour.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
It is both
Governments, monarchies, and most religions can be mocked, ridiculed
Cartoons, stories, films are made that take the ****.
However there is one, now where we cannot even show a picture, let alone seriously criticize.
I just do not want to see my freedoms eroded.
Which they already have, in the last hour.
Do you feel not showing a man's penis in the Sunday paper underwear ads is an infraction of freedom of expression as well?

I'm sure Mohammed has been ridiculed in the past and not received the violent clamor such a portrayal receives today. Unfortunately it's simply a sign of the times. I'm sure there's always something being censored that ideally shouldn't be. :shrug:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
RF is a home shared by a lot of people. That very unfortunately requires compromises. Some aren't willing to compromise, and that's why there's a moderation staff and rules of conduct. Ideally, there should be no need for either and the free flow of information between mutually respectful adults could proceed unabated with neither "offendors" nor "offendees."