• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is freedom of expression important?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I'm all for freedom of expression as well. But, I also understand that there are consequences...

That said, I think that one can freely express whatever they want and still be respectful. :)

Hope

Princesinha
True freedom, of any kind, is actually a bit of a paradox, because it cannot exist without boundaries and limitations. In a world where not only "I" exist, but "he," "she," "it," and "them," freedom for oneself must take into account the freedom of others as well, and must therefore be limited to a degree so as not to impinge upon the freedom of others. If such limitations are not established, then what you end up with is not really freedom at all (whether it be freedom of expression, freedom of speech, or whatever), but chaos and a disintegration of society.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger;944998 said:
RF is a home shared by a lot of people. That very unfortunately requires compromises. Some aren't willing to compromise, and that's why there's a moderation staff and rules of conduct. Ideally, there should be no need for either and the free flow of information between mutually respectful adults could proceed unabated with neither "offendors" nor "offendees."

RF is a diverse community that welcomes anyone and everyone who is willing to abide by the Forum Rules.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I think that everyone should have the right to freedom of expression but we should not abuse our rights. To me, driving one's point home is not more important than seriously hurting another human being's feelings. We all have different opinions, values etc. and sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I think that everyone should have the right to freedom of expression but we should not abuse our rights. To me, driving one's point home is not more important than seriously hurting another human being's feelings. We all have different opinions, values etc. and sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

You are correct. Only the thing is nowadays is that my feelings are the only ones that count for anything. If I degrade you or take no consideration for what you hold sacred Hema, then too bad so sad if you don't like it. However, if you do it to me I'm not gonna like that at all. I may not try to take a legal action or whatever, but if it cut too deep you might here about it.

Thats yet another thing I like that Islam stresses and that is the rights of one person to another. Good character is a must when dealing with anyone, even people you don't like or don't know. To harm the relations between people, or yourself and others is a grave offense in Islam. To purposely harm you and your feelings and hurt you seriously, for no other reason than because I can is terribly callous in my book and uncalled for. In Islam I am to consider everyone else's rights even before I consider the fulfillment of my own. If everyone took care to do that, no one's rights would be neglected or trampled upon.

There is a balanced to be created also. I am not saying no one should ever offend another person. That simply is not possible. Sometimes a greater good must be achieved to the dismay of a few. But when you know you're going to incite people to anger, hurt, degradation, shame, and all these others things one should tread carefully.

I see nothing wrong with people taking time out and instead of yelling "my rights my rights my rights.....what about me" start yelling "your rights your rights your rights...what about you....and how can I uphold your rights too."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I believe so. In fact I am only here because I believe this is now being eroded. Should we allow people to vent their opinions, no matter how offensive, or do we want to censor? How far do we go? Personally I think anything goes. If it is radical, then most people will see that, and treat it as such, we are adults.
People who think that anything goes usually don't last long on RF. We encourage diversity and expect to find a wide variety of opinions here, but we don't allow people to insult or ridicule one another, and I don't believe we should.