• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God afraid of us?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
I agree, there is no doubt that God did come down to say hello and was crucified, but ...
Why would you say such a thing? Of course there is "doubt that God did come down to say hello and was crucified".

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 10:19 said:
Why would you say such a thing? Of course there is "doubt that God did come down to say hello and was crucified".
I was expanding on the post aqualung made
God did come by and say hello, and he got crucified.
(which sounded almost as if we surprised him by treating him that way) - to impress the fact that his purpose (For us Christians) was a preprepared one - in other words, Jesus Christ was to be incarnate, treated abominably by those in authority whom he met, and was meant to be crucified.

The idea of creator (which, of course I know we will never stand on common ground over) creating a sorcerer's apprentice is unimaginable. I think that was the point I wished to reinforce.

ie God wasn't shocked by the treatment we gave Jesus, because it was the way he knew we would behave, and it was a necessary path for our salvation.

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
I was expanding on the post aqualung made (which sounded almost as if we surprised him by treating him that way) - to impress the fact that his purpose (For us Christians) was a preprepared one - in other words, Jesus Christ was to be incarnate, treated abominably by those in authority whom he met, and was meant to be crucified.

The idea of creator (which, of course I know we will never stand on common ground over) creating a sorcerer's apprentice is unimaginable. I think that was the point I wished to reinforce.

ie God wasn't shocked by the treatment we gave Jesus, because it was the way he knew we would behave, and it was a necessary path for our salvation.
Yes. It's not fear that's keeping him up there, it's lack of a reason to come down. Who would actually beleive it were christ if he came back? Nobody. Most people would think it was some lunatic claiming to be "the son of god" :rolleyes: and who was really good at stage magic and illusions.

Fascist Christ

michel said:
So, if people decided to be nice to him, and did not crucify him, then would we all be damned? If this could not possibly happen, then what does that say about free will? I honestly do not fully understand the crucifiction.

If we killed him once, why would there not be some kind of fear? We ascribe so many other human traits to him, why not fear as well? Is it because our culture considers fear to be an imperfection?
Aqualung said:
Who would actually beleive it were christ if he came back? Nobody. Most people would think it was some lunatic claiming to be "the son of god" :rolleyes: and who was really good at stage magic and illusions.
In that case, who is to say that he has not already come again? Or come and gone several times? Likewise, who is to say that the pruported instance(s) of his coming was not just stage magic and illusions? The same questions would go for prophets as well.

Aqualung

Tasty
Fascist Christ said:
In that case, who is to say that he has not already come again? Or come and gone several times? Likewise, who is to say that the pruported instance(s) of his coming was not just stage magic and illusions? The same questions would go for prophets as well.
Indeed. Who is to say that?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fascist Christ said:
So, if people decided to be nice to him, and did not crucify him, then would we all be damned? If this could not possibly happen, then what does that say about free will? I honestly do not fully understand the crucifiction.

If we killed him once, why would there not be some kind of fear? We ascribe so many other human traits to him, why not fear as well? Is it because our culture considers fear to be an imperfection?
Hi, good post; I guess the red higlight is probably the problem, perhaps it is just too much for a non Christian to understand. (and that isn't just a simple get out clause)

I don't know about ascribing human traits to God; mostly, it's the other way around, you know...We have bits of God's goodness in us; the trouble is honing them down, and trying to use them at all times, instead of being bororish self centered humans.;)

Fascist Christ

michel said:
Hi, good post; I guess the red higlight is probably the problem, perhaps it is just too much for a non Christian to understand. (and that isn't just a simple get out clause)

I don't know about ascribing human traits to God; mostly, it's the other way around, you know...We have bits of God's goodness in us; the trouble is honing them down, and trying to use them at all times, instead of being bororish self centered humans.;)
You're right. In my perspective, I seek to understand god through Science, so that I may imitate him. When I try to understand the crucifiction, it sounds to me like it is suggesting that we should use his example and kill our first born sons, or something similarly ludicrous. I do not think that Christians see it that way, it is only my perspective on the matter (though it may come off as sarcastic or harsh).

But to relate this back to the subject at hand, I see no evidence in the Creation to suggest that god would be afraid of anything.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fascist Christ said:
You're right. In my perspective, I seek to understand god through Science, so that I may imitate him. When I try to understand the crucifiction, it sounds to me like it is suggesting that we should use his example and kill our first born sons, or something similarly ludicrous. I do not think that Christians see it that way, it is only my perspective on the matter (though it may come off as sarcastic or harsh).

But to relate this back to the subject at hand, I see no evidence in the Creation to suggest that god would be afraid of anything.
Which means we agree! Wow.

Merlin

Fascist Christ said:
I see no evidence in the Creation to suggest that god would be afraid of anything.
Unless we were created for a purpose. And unless that purpose is something that only we can fulfil and God cannot do on His own.

That would be a reason for Him to be afraid.

Faint

michel said:
Fascist Christ said:
I see no evidence in the Creation to suggest that god would be afraid of anything.
Which means we agree!
How would either of you explain God's destruction of the Tower of Babel then? If God is not afraid of a united humanity, why was the tower and unity of language such a big deal to him?

Scott1

Faint said:
How would either of you explain God's destruction of the Tower of Babel then? If God is not afraid of a united humanity, why was the tower and unity of language such a big deal to him?
Ummm... what leads you to believe that this is a story of an actual event?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Merlin said:
Unless we were created for a purpose. And unless that purpose is something that only we can fulfil and God cannot do on His own.

That would be a reason for Him to be afraid.
I cannot envisage any purpose that God could not fulfil on his own....;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fat Kat Matt said:
if god were so afraid, he would use his almighty power to blow this puny world up. We pose no threat besides the scientists trying to get rid of him.
Well, that's one way of putting it, but I think he'd be a bit more subtle than that!:)

JerryL

Interestingly, I see no evidence of creation. Since that is the case, there is no evidence in creation one way or another.

I cannot envisage any purpose that God could not fulfil on his own....
So then, in your reconing of reality, there is no purpose to man. (any purpose, God could have fulfille on his own).

Fascist Christ

Faint said:
I consider it to be a story. If it was based on a real event, which may be the case, the collapse was probably due to the combination of poor construction and gravity. The ancient minds liked to blame god for catastrophic events.

JerryL said:
Interestingly, I see no evidence of creation. Since that is the case, there is no evidence in creation one way or another.
When I say "Creation" I mean "Universe." So, when you say that you see no evidence of Creation, it sounds to me like you are saying that you see no evidence of the Universe. Make the appropriate substitution, and consider the fact that I am personifying a hypothetical "first cause" of the Universe, and then my comment might make a little more sense to you.

Faint

Scott1 said:
Ummm... what leads you to believe that this is a story of an actual event?
I don't know if it was an actual event since I tend to be skeptical about anything the Bible says is truth. But I'm basing this off the passages in Genesis, for example where the Bible says:
http://www.religiousforums.com/bible/index.php?keyword=9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Or is it your belief that this a just some kind of metaphor? Whether you read the text literally or not doesn't matter--the point is the same: God seems to be sabotaging a united humanity.

Fascist Christ said:
I consider it to be a story. If it was based on a real event, which may be the case, the collapse was probably due to the combination of poor construction and gravity. The ancient minds liked to blame god for catastrophic events.
Reasonable. After reading a few of your posts I'm guessing your God is not the same one we're discussing here.

Fat Kat Matt said:
if god were so afraid, he would use his almighty power to blow this puny world up. We pose no threat besides the scientists trying to get rid of him.
But maybe the God in question lacks this power. His flood attempt certainly failed to wash away all the bad people. And humanity appears to be uniting again despite the Babel incident (for example, English is the accepted business language of the world, money, science, and math are universal).

JerryL

When I say "Creation" I mean "Universe." So, when you say that you see no evidence of Creation, it sounds to me like you are saying that you see no evidence of the Universe. Make the appropriate substitution, and consider the fact that I am personifying a hypothetical "first cause" of the Universe, and then my comment might make a little more sense to you.
I see no evidence in the universe of a creator... as such, I see no evidence in the universe as to any attribute of the universe's creator.

Scott1

Faint said:
Or is it your belief that this a just some kind of metaphor? Whether you read the text literally or not doesn't matter--the point is the same: God seems to be sabotaging a united humanity.
... or it could be a imaginative story that attempts to show the origin of the diversity of languages among people on earth....

.... but you go with the "spooky-mean God" thing... it's good for halloween.:D