• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God omnipotent?

Michael has a good point in his post. Look at the point of the rabbit's veiwpoint, it's all mouth.
Maybe Michael just doesn't find a need to describe 'god's' choices in life, maybe some prayers are for naught.
Maybe 'god' isn't interested in us anymore, maybe 'god' didn't write the "bibles", or even care.
I don't know the answers, maybe someone here does, other than what comes from the scriptures.
I really agree though....there is really no evil ! Just evil doing ! And frogs and floods and dead babies.
~
'mud

If there is evil doing,then there is evil.

There is no mistake,Jesus made it very clear that it was his Father who was in control.Also, that they were two separate beings.
It's almost like you are discussing a different topic, one about Jesus and God being the same person, or Jesus being omnipotent rather than God.
I'm not arguing either one of those things.
I was just mentioning the things people usually bring up to support the idea of God's omnipotence.
What I think is that there was a completely different idea of what "all-powerful" meant to the biblical writers, than what people think of today when they use that term.

It's almost like you are discussing a different topic, one about Jesus and God being the same person, or Jesus being omnipotent rather than God.
I'm not arguing either one of those things.
I was just mentioning the things people usually bring up to support the idea of God's omnipotence.
What I think is that there was a completely different idea of what "all-powerful" meant to the biblical writers, than what people think of today when they use that term.

How is it you think I am saying two different things? I do not believe Jesus is God.

Reactions: gsa

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Ah, but the original post in this thread said it's a problem for an omnipotent God to be all-loving and etc. But the post left out:

• Sin is judged on earth
  • Sin has consequences on earth
  • God shares power with his creatures
  • Man has free will

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I'm sure everyone is aware of the problem that says that, due to the evil in the world, God cannot be all loving, all powerful, and all knowing. With this in mind, and as a possible answer to this problem, does the Bible actually say that God is omnipotent?

God can Not do everything. According to Titus 1 v 2; Hebrews 6 v 18 ' God can Not lie '.

God gifted intelligent creation with free will. We are all free moral agents with the ability to make free-will choices without interference from God. Just remember there are bad consequences for deliberately committing wrong doing as shown in the case of Satan and Adam.

By Adam using his free will choice to break God's law then Adam took the law out of God's hands, so to speak, and put the law into human hands. Adam set up People Rule as being superior to God Rule. Human history has proven that rule by man is a big failure.
- Ecclesiastes 8 v 9

The passing of time has allowed for all of us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us. We are nearing the threshold of the ' time of separation' on earth of Matthew 25 vs 31,32, when the humble 'sheep'-like people can remain alive on earth, and continue to live on earth right through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7 v 14, and live on earth right into the start of Jesus' 1000-year kingdom reign over earth - Psalm 72 v 8 - when Jesus will usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.

Blackmarch

W'rkncacntr
I'm sure everyone is aware of the problem that says that, due to the evil in the world, God cannot be all loving, all powerful, and all knowing. With this in mind, and as a possible answer to this problem, does the Bible actually say that God is omnipotent?
unfortunately most of the time this concept is more a play on words than anything useful when debated.

I like to tell people if we had an infinitesimally small universe that only had the possibilities of A,B,C,D, Omniscience would consist of knowing only A,B,C,D and Omnipotence would consist only of the ability to bring A,B,C,D to pass.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
God can Not do everything. According to Titus 1 v 2; Hebrews 6 v 18 ' God can Not lie.
So it doesn't count that he gets others to lie for him?

lie
[lahy]

noun
1) a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.

2) something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture:

3) an inaccurate or false statement; a falsehood.

verb
4) to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.
Synonyms: prevaricate, fib.​

"Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee." 1 Kings 22;23
OR that he deludes people into believing a lie?

"For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie". 2 Thessalonians 2:11
OR that he outright deceives?

"And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet
." Ezekiel 14:9
Gotta tell you, in my book deluding, deceiving, and making others lie for you pretty much falls under the category lying. In fact, 2 Thessalonians 2:11 is a direct admission of complicity in fostering a lie.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So it doesn't count that he gets others to lie for him?
lie
[lahy]
noun
1) a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
2) something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture:
3) an inaccurate or false statement; a falsehood.
verb
4) to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.
Synonyms: prevaricate, fib.​
"Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee." 1 Kings 22;23​
OR that he deludes people into believing a lie?
"For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie". 2 Thessalonians 2:11​
OR that he outright deceives?
"And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet." Ezekiel 14:9​
Gotta tell you, in my book deluding, deceiving, and making others lie for you pretty much falls under the category lying. In fact, 2 Thessalonians 2:11 is a direct admission of complicity in fostering a lie.

It was lying prophets who assured Ahab of success while God's true prophet Micaiah foretold disaster. Ahab wanted to hear those false prophets preferring to be fooled by their lies.
So, God allowed those false prophets to do what they wanted to do.
- 1st Kings 22 vs 1-38; 2nd Chron. chapter 18

Persons who prefer falsehoods then God allows them to believe lies - 2nd Thess 2 vs 9-12

God fooled that false prophet of Ezekiel 14 v 9 by allowing that false prophet to fool himself
It is ones own iniquity or own badness they are responsible for - verse 10

Skwim

Veteran Member
URAVIP2ME said:
It was lying prophets who assured Ahab of success while God's true prophet Micaiah foretold disaster. Ahab wanted to hear those false prophets preferring to be fooled by their lies.
So, God allowed those false prophets to do what they wanted to do.
- 1st Kings 22 vs 1-38; 2nd Chron. chapter 18
He did much more than simply "allow" lying, He "put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets."
""Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets,"

Persons who prefer falsehoods then God allows them to believe lies - 2nd Thess 2 vs 9-12
2 Thess. 2:11 "And so God sends the power of error to work in them so that they believe what is false." Another example of lying. That it serves god's purpose doesn't make it any less a lie. And again, sending the power of error is far more than simply "allowing."

God fooled that false prophet of Ezekiel 14 v 9 by allowing that false prophet to fool himself It is ones own iniquity or own badness they are responsible for - verse 10
Still doesn't absolve god of lying. Deception involves deliberately lying
9 “If any prophets are deceived into giving a false answer, it is because I, the Lord, have deceived them. I will remove them from the people of Israel."

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Let's see...Prophets lie to people about the stories about what God said to other prophets to tell people stories about what He told them to say to people about His lying to people.
Soooooooo........that makes sense.......doesn't it ??
~
Give me a break, is all that about God's omnipotence.
He still can't pick up a rock that He Himself made, can He ?
I don't know whether He can or can't, and I don't really care.
Can He cure all cancer on this earth, or any other desease ?
Pick up a rock !!! Like I said....Give me a break !!
~
'mud