• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's existence necessary?

Is God's existence necessary?

• Total voters

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Good one psychoslice....reminds me of the raft in buddha's parable..."In the same way, monks, I have taught the Dhamma [dharma] compared to a raft, for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of holding onto. Understanding the Dhamma as taught compared to a raft, you should let go even of Dhammas, to say nothing of non-Dhammas."
Yes you are a bright one, thanks.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
For me personally, religion is for the ignorant, when we truly realize our true place in this world, religion then is cast away, like a shell, and what is left is who we are, if you want to make a big song and dance about who you are then let you ego loose.
I have no religion.....but I like where you take this...

I say...the body is a shell...soon to be dust.
dance for now.....ascend later!

prometheus11

It's interesting that those so vehemently arguing for cause in every instance do so primarily to insist the opposite for one special case. Bizarre.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
It's a good thing Santa exists, I guess.

image_3_546.jpg

leibowde84

Veteran Member
But the goal of religion is not about giving validity or not giving validity to scripture...it's about walking the walk...the path that leads to immortality.... You are indeed though free to reject the guidance given by teachers through the ages on any basis you want....but then it seems irrational to spend your life attacking religious teachings without having tested them...
Why do you assume I haven't tested them?

prometheus11

But...whatever exists must have a cause!!! Because existence necessitates cause!!! Always!!!!! That cause is ALWAYS required shows how this one being up over there DOESNT need one!!! It's so obvious and simple!!!

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Huh? We determine our beliefs by subjective experience, do you expect me to put faith into your subjective ideas? Why would I, if they contradict my own?
My point is that subjective, personal experience is often unreliable. So, it is prudent to reserve faith until it can be verified by evidence or the experiences of others.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
nay....God is the Cause.
time does not exist.
Alright, you keep dodging the question. Why do you think cause and effect is applicable to the big bang? How could it if the the concept of "before the big bang" is an impossibility?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Alright, you keep dodging the question. Why do you think cause and effect is applicable to the big bang? How could it if the the concept of "before the big bang" is an impossibility?
and you seem to think it doesn't apply......duh

you can't use the word concept as a trump card.
throw it away.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
and you seem to think it doesn't apply......duh

you can't use the word concept as a trump card.
throw it away.
It doesn't apply. There is no "before the big bang" to the best of our knowledge.

And, what do you have against the word concept?