• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's existence necessary?

Is God's existence necessary?

• Total voters

Janardena

Let me say it this way. Evolution and natural selection produced collections of atoms and molecules with instincts to survive and reproduce. It was just a result of an automatic natural process.

Is this true?
How do YOU know this?

Evolution and natural selection didn't produce these collections for any particular purpose in mind. But since we have these instincts we get doctors who feel their purpose is to people survive and midwifes who feel their purpose is to help with the reproduction process.

Same two questions apply.

ArtieE

Is this true?
How do YOU know this?

Same two questions apply.
It's logical, rational, makes sense and is supported by loads of evidence. Other alternatives are illogical, irrational, don't make sense and have no evidence. I'll stick with what I wrote until better alternatives show up if they ever do.

Janardena

It's logical, rational, makes sense and is supported by loads of evidence. Other alternatives are illogical, irrational, don't make sense and have no evidence. I'll stick with what I wrote until better alternatives show up if they ever do.

So it is true because you believe it is logical and rational?
Can you provide the at least some of the evidence that we may look for ourselves?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Okay.
Now. Is it exclusive to humans?
If yes. How and Why?
IMHO, "purpose" only applies to animals with the capacity for abstract thought. Certainly some chimpanzees, Dolphins, orangutans, etc. create and use tools for their own "purpose", but, obviously, those purposes will change from individual to individual. As humans, we decide our own purpose, but, usually, our purpose is for the benefit of others.

ArtieE

Can you provide the at least some of the evidence that we may look for ourselves?
Pointless to copy and paste evidence here when anybody can google "evidence of evolution" or buy loads of books on the subject or watch youtube videos etc etc.

Janardena

IMHO, "purpose" only applies to animals with the capacity for abstract thought. Certainly some chimpanzees, Dolphins, orangutans, etc. create and use tools for their own "purpose", but, obviously, those purposes will change from individual to individual. As humans, we decide our own purpose, but, usually, our purpose is for the benefit of others.

Is it possible that God could have caused this world with a purpose, or that purposely was magically created by evolution via natural selection??

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Is it possible that God could have caused this world with a purpose, or that purposely was magically created by evolution via natural selection??

You beg the question that there is such a thing as a universal purpose. How did you come to that conclusion?

Ciao

- viole

Janardena

Pointless to copy and paste evidence here when anybody can google "evidence of evolution" or buy loads of books on the subject or watch youtube videos etc etc.

I tried to google ''Purpose ia creation of evolution'' but didn't find anything.
I can't imagine there would be loads on the creation of purpose. Couldn't you just leave a link or something?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'll help out a bit. If you do a quick Google search on "evolution and the will to survive", you will get a pretty detailed explanation of how this will is absolutely necessary for any species to survive. Remember, over 99% of earth's species have gone extinct since life started, so not every organism/life form has this will to survive. We have many instincts programmed into our brains. We begin to breathe, our heart beats, our blood flows, our stomach digests. In the same way our will to survive is an inherent instinct. We panic and go into something called "survival mode" when faced with death, and there is an obvious reason for that. Those organisms that have this instinct have a better chance for survival and reproduction, which gives them the ability to pass this instinct onto the next generation.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Anything is possible, but nothing that has to do with evolution/natural selection is "magical" or "supernatural" in nature. Our individual purpose is created internally by the recognition of our strengths/talents and our evolutionary social nature as human beings. We have a drive to contribute that was a necessary piece of our evolving into what we are today. If we hadn't become social beings living in a community and depending on each other, we wouldn't have been able to use our advantage (our brains) to our advantage and thrive. But, honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by "purpose". Can you define that for me?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I tried to google ''Purpose ia creation of evolution'' but didn't find anything.
I can't imagine there would be loads on the creation of purpose. Couldn't you just leave a link or something?
Nature, of course, has no purpose. We create purpose in inanimate objects for our own benefit via our ability to think in the abstract.

ArtieE

Purpose wasn't "created". Evolution and natural selection evolved a survival instinct and an instinct to procreate which is why many people feel it's their purpose to help others survive or feel it's their purpose to have offspring.

Janardena

Anything is possible, but nothing that has to do with evolution/natural selection is "magical" or "supernatural" in nature. Our individual purpose is created internally by the recognition of our strengths/talents and our evolutionary social nature as human beings. We have a drive to contribute that was a necessary piece of our evolving into what we are today. If we hadn't become social beings living in a community and depending on each other, we wouldn't have been able to use our advantage (our brains) to our advantage and thrive. But, honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by "purpose". Can you define that for me?

Purpose; When you do something with purpose,you do it with determination. When your activities have a purpose, you have an aim or intention in mind.