• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hinduism a peaceful religion?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Gandhi has always been a controversial figure. His portrayal has been one-sided, and in order to get an accurate assessment, one has to take a long look at all the sides with an open mind.

So too for many historical and religious figures like Churchill and Mother Theresa. There's almost always two sides.
Of course. The trend of divinizing or demonizing historical figures in popular culture is ridiculous.
Here is a good (but no means complete or fully unbiased) talks on Gandhi.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy3KRgc0HE8A0kI_h1iniqVv6O_knityt

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I have always said that extremist ideologies feed on each other's extremism. In the West fascist pointed fingers at communists to justify their extremism and vice versa. Now the extremists of different religions point fingers at the other side to justify what they do. Its so old and expected that it's boring.
The interesting part here is I do not see these extremists fighting each other. They simply do violence against simple civillians of the "other" side calling it righteous. For the point is never justice, not even vengeance, but desire for individual power and supremacy.
Right now two fascist idealogies - One is Jihad ( to make everything to be ideally Islamic) and Liberal leftism and Communism ( Ideal Goal - All religions are same without considering their differences) are feeding each other and helping extreme right wing.That's why Communism and Islamism work hand in hand till one of them come to power and completely destroys another.example Tudeh party in Iran or Communist China.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Gandhi has always been a controversial figure. His portrayal has been one-sided, and in order to get an accurate assessment, one has to take a long look at all the sides with an open mind.

So too for many historical and religious figures like Churchill and Mother Theresa. There's almost always two sides.
Absolutely, and I did just that in my posts #49 and #54.

I do not blindly follow nor believe in all that Gandhi taught, such as my rejection of non-violence as an end in and of itself. I do believe people and countries have the right of self-defense as I more believe in the Just-War Theory.

ajay0

Is hinduism a peaceful religion?

Peace is emphasized in Hinduism, but there are differences between principle and actual practice.

Animal sacrifices still take place amongst some sections of Hindus even inspite of the efforts of Buddha, Mahavira, Mahatma Gandhi and HIndu sects that emphasize nonviolence, to ban such practices . Nonvegetarianism is also gaining ground amongst some sections of Hindus with the inevitable killing of animals and birds along with the associated health risks of cancer, cardiovascular diseases and obesity.

The holy Vedas emphasize the equality and fraternity of all human beings , but this is undermined by the smritis or man-made social systems (which are supposed to be of a temporary nature ) such as caste system, sati and untouchability.

In rural parts of India, the caste system is still considered to be part of divine injunction, which is incorrect, and there is strife and violence between various castes in these regions.

The Arya Samaj, which is based on the vedas alone and spurns the smritis or manmade customs, rejects the caste system,sati as fraudulent , and responsible for the degeneration of Hinduism, Hindu society and India.

Reformatory sects like the Arya Samaj, Brahmo Samaj, Kabir Panthis, Sree Narayana Guru Dharma Paripalanam, Prajapita Brahmakumaris, Nanakpanthis, Guru Ravidas Mission, and many other reformatory sects have played a major role in emancipating Hindu society of much of its baggage of traditional superstitious practices and this is a work in progress.

Last edited: