• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Hinduism Polytheistic, Pantheistic, or what?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
As a Hindu, I take exception to this rather vast generalisation that we are all universalists. Certainly some sects lean more towards universalism. Others, less so. I accept the validity of each faith for it's practitioners. Each faith has a particular mindset or level of consciousness that suits its adherents. Perhaps thes have been the only Hindus you have encountered.

But all ways of looking at God are correct? Perhaps you mean to the individuals who are looking? For them yes, or else it would make no difference. But certainly it's not correct to all. We wouldn't have a concept of blasphemy if that was the case.

But if you ask each individual practitioner how they view God, you will get many different answers. Some would never pray alongside memebers of other faiths, as that concept in itself would go against their own tenets.

Radical universalism is an incorrect way of looking at it. I much prefer the idea of simple respect for humankind, regardless of our many differences.

particularly this ...... I accept the validity of each faith for it's practitioners. Each faith has a particular mindset or level of consciousness that suits its adherents.

I much prefer the idea of simple respect for humankind, regardless of our many differences.

jai jai :bow:

Kalidas

As a Hindu, I take exception to this rather vast generalisation that we are all universalists. Certainly some sects lean more towards universalism. Others, less so. I accept the validity of each faith for it's practitioners. Each faith has a particular mindset or level of consciousness that suits its adherents. Perhaps thes have been the only Hindus you have encountered.

But all ways of looking at God are correct? Perhaps you mean to the individuals who are looking? For them yes, or else it would make no difference. But certainly it's not correct to all. We wouldn't have a concept of blasphemy if that was the case.

But if you ask each individual practitioner how they view God, you will get many different answers. Some would never pray alongside memebers of other faiths, as that concept in itself would go against their own tenets.

Radical universalism is an incorrect way of looking at it. I much prefer the idea of simple respect for humankind, regardless of our many differences. Radical Universalism: Does Hinduism teach that all religions are the same? – Frank Morales | Bharata Bharati

I think that may be what he was trying to get at...maybe correct me if I'm wrong okay bud?

But yes I like this, I like this a lot. Each faith has a POTENTIAL to be "right" but only to those who feel it is. A Muslim will most definitely feel the divine in their own way just as a Christian or a Hindu or a Pagan or...etc etc. Yet this does NOT mean a Hindu will feel the divine by practicing Christianity, a Muslim will not feel the divine by performing Pagan rituals...etc (now i know this is not 100% true, I'm sure people mix religions all the time. Like christian pagans)

This is of course MY take, not everyone will agree.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think that may be what he was trying to get at...maybe correct me if I'm wrong okay bud?

But yes I like this, I like this a lot. Each faith has a POTENTIAL to be "right" but only to those who feel it is. A Muslim will most definitely feel the divine in their own way just as a Christian or a Hindu or a Pagan or...etc etc. Yet this does NOT mean a Hindu will feel the divine by practicing Christianity, a Muslim will not feel the divine by performing Pagan rituals...etc (now i know this is not 100% true, I'm sure people mix religions all the time. Like christian pagans)

You might be right, but my take was he was using the oversimplified 'all same, all same' universalist approach. To me, it simply means you haven't really taken the time to study out faiths to see the essential differences, of which they are multitudinous. :)

Kalidas

You might be right, but my take was he was using the oversimplified 'all same, all same' universalist approach. To me, it simply means you haven't really taken the time to study out faiths to see the essential differences, of which they are multitudinous. :)

I used to be one of those people who thought all religions were the same, then I researched many religions and found...I was wrong lol. they are not all the same, yet this does not mean wrong.

I view few beliefs or faiths as "wrong" just "wrong for me".

Yet I do not question that they do not feel the divine as much (maybe even more) than I do. Heck it is obvious they do some people go as far as to DIE for this feeling. It's hard to argue with that kind of faith, and say "they felt nothing". Well they obviously felt SOMETHING.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!

Those are some very wise words spoken, Vinayaka ji. In the other forum, there is constant questioning of the validity of other religion at all, in promoting spirituality for its adherents, because of the constant bashing of other faiths declared in their holy books, such as saying that those who do not belong to Christianity for instance, will all go to hell, etc.

In our very own Hindu religion, there are so many interpretations written for the same verse for example, in Bhagawat Gita and other major devotional works. Similarly I feel that these contradictory statements found in other holy books perhaps mean something else, have a profound meaning that just reading casually cannot interpret and that people of profound devotion, intellectual brilliance and love for humanity can only decipher them for the common man. I believe that most fanatics belonging to other religion haven't realized this profound truth in their holy books and are acting that way, as a menace to fellow humans around the world, because this is supposedly the way of 'Kali yuga'.

I was always given to the belief that people of other religions are born to ascend spiritually while also satisfying their material wishes, living a life of pleasures or amidst pleasures, and are eventually born into Hinduism for final emancipation, by means of austerities, propritiation of deities capable of granting mukthi and guru guidance.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I understand the questioning of validity. When there is a history of invasion, destruction of temples, conversions, being told you're going to hell, and other aggressive stuff directed at your faith, it is quite logical to hold a grudge. When you don't have so much direct and ancestral experience over a few generations, it's easier to be more tolerant.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
It is absolutely true. What makes me think along the lines of what I wrote is that, god who created the entire humankind, has not really left a majority of us 'godless' or 'unworthy of emancipation'. Thus depending on individual dispositions, he has given different religions, and made different rules for each, gave out different guidelines in each holy book, but essentially, they are all sounding different because they are targeted at a different audience, but basically having the same interest in elevating the adherent spiritually.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is absolutely true. What makes me think along the lines of what I wrote is that, god who created the entire humankind, has not really left a majority of us 'godless' or 'unworthy of emancipation'. Thus depending on individual dispositions, he has given different religions, and made different rules for each, gave out different guidelines in each holy book, but essentially, they are all sounding different because they are targeted at a different audience, but basically having the same interest in elevating the adherent spiritually.

I don't know. My God doesn't create, but emanates, for starters. Or at least that is what I've been told. I'm not sure about the 'elevating the adherent' either. If you can count 'elevating the adherent' by the number of non-believers they've converted, or by some other adharmic action, I suppose.

It's difficult when you view it from an eastern perspective. You think ' hey, others believe this' until you actually sit down and talk to one. I have 'friend' who thinks he would be far closer to God if he could get me to come join him.

In an earlier statement someone said, 'let's pray together'. Well now that's pretty hard if my friend is only praying for me not to go to hell by coming over to the light. (His view of religion, in other words.)

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
In an earlier statement someone said, 'let's pray together'. Well now that's pretty hard if my friend is only praying for me not to go to hell by coming over to the light. (His view of religion, in other words.)

lol..Yes ofcourse others' behavior towards us and their view on religions can have such an over-bearing effects on us! These attitudes are such hurdles posed on the developing humanity and compassion of most spiritual aspirants! :eek:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I accept the validity of each faith for it's practitioners. Each faith has a particular mindset or level of consciousness that suits its adherents. ...

But all ways of looking at God are correct? Perhaps you mean to the individuals who are looking? For them yes, or else it would make no difference.

particularly this ...... I accept the validity of each faith for it's practitioners. Each faith has a particular mindset or level of consciousness that suits its adherents.

I much prefer the idea of simple respect for humankind, regardless of our many differences.

jai jai :bow:

That's actually the true meaning of universalism. Hinduism is right for a Hindu; Judaism is right for a Jew; Buddhism is right for a Buddhist; what I do is right for me (whatever it is I do :D); Hinduism is not right for a Muslim; Islam is not right for a Christian; and so on.

I used to be one of those people who thought all religions were the same, then I researched many religions and found...I was wrong lol. they are not all the same, yet this does not mean wrong.

I view few beliefs or faiths as "wrong" just "wrong for me".

I used to think that "all roads lead to Rome", and maybe most do. But there are many detours and dead ends. I don't believe that Aztec human sacrifice led to God, as the Aztecs believed. As someone on another forum said "Any path based on great virtue, proper śamatha and prajñā leads to the summit. Paths lacking in one or more of these areas can lead partway up, nowhere or backwards."

Kalidas

That's actually the true meaning of universalism. Hinduism is right for a Hindu; Judaism is right for a Jew; Buddhism is right for a Buddhist; what I do is right for me (whatever it is I do :D); Hinduism is not right for a Muslim; Islam is not right for a Christian; and so on.

I used to think that "all roads lead to Rome", and maybe most do. But there are many detours and dead ends. I don't believe that Aztec human sacrifice led to God, as the Aztecs believed. As someone on another forum said "Any path based on great virtue, proper śamatha and prajñā leads to the summit. Paths lacking in one or more of these areas can lead partway up, nowhere or backwards."

Here the problem with this though. How can we know what is "right"? Every religion has had sacrifice in the past. But this is getting away from the topic at hand. I doubt we can ever know for sure what path leads to God "better". We can only follow what we feel and do our best to stick to our beliefs.

Funny fact about Christianity and polyesterizing. Jesus never actually actively converted anyone. He walked around preached an performed miracles (this is the bible okay I'm not here to argue the facts of what the bible said) and people just followed him and asked what he basicly thought. So these Christians who try to convert people are actually not being christ like.

Either way I am happy now I can feel the divine more mow then I ever could as a christian. Yet I do not believe that this feeling I have is special only to Hinduism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How can we know what is "right"?

We can indeed know what is right for us. Or at least be 99% sure. I also believe that if about 99% of the people believe a certain way, and you're somebody in the 1%, well maybe it's time to do some deep thinking.

I will never truly believe in Self-Realisation until I realise it for myself. All I can do is trust the 1000 or so souls alive today or in the recent past that have claimed it's the ultimate reality not because they were told so, l but because they experienced it.

Of all historical faiths, by which I mean are based on a historical prophet, logic dictates to me a great deal of skepticism. Fortunately for the Hindu, new sages and enlightened beings are alive and walking on the planet today, unlike in some other faiths who have to base their belief on some historical figure whom they can't see with their own eyes.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Here the problem with this though. How can we know what is "right"?

We can indeed know what is right for us. Or at least be 99% sure.

You feel it, intuit it. I felt that Christianity was not right for me, it just didn't feel right anymore. It's not something you can put your finger on or intellectualize.

Kalidas

You feel it, intuit it. I felt that Christianity was not right for me, it just didn't feel right anymore. It's not something you can put your finger on or intellectualize.

no no no I agree 100% with what you guys said. I meant that no one anywhere can know what is 100% "right" by that I mean what the actual "facts" are or what the divine TRULY wants us to believe and feel. We can only go with what feel correct and what helps us personally. This is why I feel most(not all of course) religions can in theory reach a great profound realization of the divine and his/her splendor. Yet it is only something that can be felt I can not tell you if Christianity or Muslim or Hindu or etc etc etc is "right" I do not know, but I do know what helps me. I think that's one of the biggest things I love about Hinduism. It doesn't rely to heavily on faith on other humans or texts that can and WILL have flaws in them, but no on yourself and faith in what you feel and the ability to discern what is "correct". Find the divine within yourself and your practice, not in other people and their idea of what is proper practice.

nameless

The Creator
Ultimately Atheistic or Transtheistic(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transtheism)

The earliest schools of hinduism like mimamsa and samkhya were atheistic, the concept of 'god' were later developed to meet the requirements of 'some people' so that for them to gain some interest in spirituality. IMHO, polytheism makes more sense than monotheism.

Last edited:

Maya3

no no no I agree 100% with what you guys said. I meant that no one anywhere can know what is 100% "right" by that I mean what the actual "facts" are or what the divine TRULY wants us to believe and feel. We can only go with what feel correct and what helps us personally. This is why I feel most(not all of course) religions can in theory reach a great profound realization of the divine and his/her splendor. Yet it is only something that can be felt I can not tell you if Christianity or Muslim or Hindu or etc etc etc is "right" I do not know, but I do know what helps me. I think that's one of the biggest things I love about Hinduism. It doesn't rely to heavily on faith on other humans or texts that can and WILL have flaws in them, but no on yourself and faith in what you feel and the ability to discern what is "correct". Find the divine within yourself and your practice, not in other people and their idea of what is proper practice.

Well said!

I agree with this. It is all about how we feel. We certainly cannot prove anything. I have had incredible meditations, but I cannot prove that I don´t hallucinate. I don´t think I am. I never hallucinate at any other time. And my "hallucinations" correlate with the teachings. Still, I cant prove that this is not a physical function that happens if you meditate for a long time.

But it doesn´t really matter. It makes me feel good. If there is nothing else than this, then there isn't.

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
...I mean what the actual "facts" are or what the divine TRULY wants us to believe and feel. We can only go with what feel correct and what helps us personally...

Most certainly. I can use myself as an example with my syncretization, or blending and melding of Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism. What I believe feels right. However, on the other hand, I dabbled with Vajrayana (Tibetan) Buddhism but it didn't feel right. I believe it's not what God or the gods wanted me to do. Not because they were offended, but because they knew it wasn't right for me and was causing me confusion and distress (Ratikala-ji was right... I remember things! ;)). I could have overridden that, but something told me not to, and to go with my gut feeling.