• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it best to find a religion and stick to it or swap around?

Onkara

I think it's best to examine all religions, philosophies, ideologies, etc. from an objective, analytical perspective, and take from them only the useful aspects while tossing the useless aspects aside, and continue to build and grow from that.

That makes sense to me. Is there real progress in that approach or do you think we would find that we just end up being more opinionated/educated and still not at peace with ourselves?

I should ask you what your goal is from the approach you describe?

My first question above implies that there is a goal, in my case it is inner peace (a satisfactory answer), which would come with religion or philosophy etc.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
One might swap religions a lot because study causes their perspective to change. This in my opinion is healthy, much healthier then being convinced you have the absolute truth all you life and stagnating like a fundamentalist, who are so closed minded you can't hardly have a discussion with them.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That makes sense to me. Is there real progress in that approach or do you think we would find that we just end up being more opinionated/educated and still not at peace with ourselves?

I should ask you what your goal is from the approach you describe?

My first question above implies that there is a goal, in my case it is inner peace (a satisfactory answer), which would come with religion or philosophy etc.

I guess the goal is to continually gain more wisdom and understanding to better navigate life and the world. I would say that following your heart (compassion) and your mind (reason) is the best method.

Onkara

One might swap religions a lot because study causes their perspective to change. This in my opinion is healthy, much healthier then being convinced you have the absolute truth all you life and stagnating like a fundamentalist, who are so closed minded you can't hardly have a discussion with them.

I agree. The problems lies in our self identity based on religion. Some people might think their background implies they have no choice, or that a criticism of their religion is a criticism of their background. This can lead to the problem you highlight too. I am not saying they are wrong, but it helps me to understand how they 'stagnate as a fundamentalist'.

Onkara

I guess the goal is to continually gain more wisdom and understanding to better navigate life and the world. I would say that following your heart (compassion) and your mind (reason) is the best method.

I agree, which is why I currently focus on a religion(s) so I can learn all I can by focusing my mind and time. :) I am not being argumentative, but I find that religions is often equated with a loss of freedom (loss of compassion and reason). What I suppose needs to be stated is our goal or purpose, then we can match the means to that more effectively?

mikeward62

I believe that all Religions are true - and we should embrace them all - equally.
The Primal point revealed that - "God has sent as many Prophets and Scriptures to the world - as there are Creatures on the earth." - so the are many to choose from - however obscure.
Peace - Michael.

jimdand

If one has "not found oneself in life", regarding (their) religious beliefs, then, it may well be time to "shop around".

I think that we all want to find that religion which comforts us the most --- and offers the most in (that particular religion's) beliefs, as would be offered to us.

It is known that some 50,000 Americans seque to Islam, where they had once been Christians, because they felt that Christianity was not (in their opinions) closest to G-d --- in this case, Islam.

It is not unheard of for those, brought up into a (particular) faith, to have found that this faith has failed them, in their expectations. Thus, they seek to find that particular faith which will help them accomplish (what we should hope to accomplish) --- a greater respect for our fellow humans, regardless of faith --- and a new joy in the comfort of (that) religion in which we now feel embraces us --- and offers to help our religious faith come true, and give us strength.

We are, after all is said and done --- looking for the same thing. Something to believe in. Something that allows us to live a life which pleases G-d, or Allah. Something that helps us become better persons in this life, than we ever thought we could be. And --- the promise of an after-life.

I wish the best for all of you on this forum. I hope that you find, at last, that which you seek.

In closing, there are some of us who do not subscribe to organized religions as we know it. We believe in and trust in G-d. We pray and worship --- even if alone. I think that is the best that
G-d would ever ask for. I think there is a saying in the Bible that goes something like this: "If a man prayeth from a closet, as he would in Church, then surely he will find the gates of heaven".

Which means, of course, that one not need be a member of (any) congregation. It's only important that you believe in G-d, and live your lives to please Him. For those of you whom are Christian --- your faith and beliefs fall under your followings of the teachings of Jesus. (Peace be unto Him).

I express the (above) IMO, only.

reljon

Hi to you!

I know you are confused because there are a lot of religious groups spreading world-wide nowadays. The only to find out which religion to stick on is to completely let your heart embrace it entirely without questioning them on their back. You should accept the doctrines and their beliefs. If you are into on religion now, and still, you are seeking for answers, I suggest that you attend different Bible Studies that may best fit you belief and will ease your mind from questioning.