• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it better to have....

Is it better to have....

• ...good faith with little knowledge?

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • ...lesser faith with better knowledge?

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

Nehustan

I was thinking about this question today specifically in relation to the Islamic faith, but as a philisophical question regarding faith I'm going to open it up to a wider audience. Obviously I expect aethiests to pipe up with 'better to have no faith at all' so we can get that one out of the way for a start. This is really a question to people with faith, thus really people without a faith are excluded de facto if not de juro. My rationale in asking this question is that I know (or have met) many good and faithful people with a very basic education, and contrariwise many people with a high level of education with a lesser faith (if there at all). Surely those with most knowledge (of all kinds not just theological) should have a 'better' faith, than those with little knowledge, (pre/il)literate or otherwise.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I voted for faith over knowledge, although I do have to say that it really depends on what the goal is. Proper Biblical exegesis? Then knowledge. Living righteously? Then faith.

From a Christian perspective, Jesus said to allow the children to come to him, "for the kingdom belongs to such as these." he goes on to say that, unless one approaches the kingdom "like a child," one cannot enter.

I think we waste waaaaay too much time thinking and not enough time doing and living. Jesus didn't ask us to think. Jesus asked us to do: Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the lonely, love your neighbor. Even a child knows enough to help someone who's hurt. Instead, we choose to sit in our ivory towers and postulate on the meaning of certain Biblical passages, and if the wrong interpretation will bring condemnation of our mortal souls. Meanwhile, the poor are hurting.

While more knowledge is a good thing, I don't think we should let it overshadow faith, and become idolatrous for us.

Nehustan

sojourner said:
I voted for faith over knowledge.
So did I but from a different theological perspective. The Islamic concept of Tawheed is an understanding of the 'unity' of the infinite and absolute which is beyond. Beyond in a real sense, but also beyond quantification and qualification. It was in this context that I realised that if a muslim has grasped the 'glory' of this infinite and absolute without recourse to endless study, they may have a good faith while having little knowledge.

To my mind there is no greater gift from The God than that of faith.

Popeyesays

I voted lesser faith and greater knowledge because I believe that greater knowledge will eventually lead to greater faith.
"2. O SON OF SPIRIT!
The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes."
(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

"13. O SON OF SPIRIT!
I created thee rich, why dost thou bring thyself down to poverty? Noble I made thee, wherewith dost thou abase thyself? Out of the essence of knowledge I gave thee being, why seekest thou enlightenment from anyone beside Me? Out of the clay of love I molded thee, how dost thou busy thyself with another? Turn thy sight unto thyself, that thou mayest find Me standing within thee, mighty, powerful and self-subsisting."
(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words

"56. O SON OF MAN!
Thou dost wish for gold and I desire thy freedom from it. Thou thinkest thyself rich in its possession, and I recognize thy wealth in thy sanctity therefrom. By My life! This is My knowledge, and that is thy fancy; how can My way accord with thine?"
(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

"11. O SON OF DUST!
Blind thine eyes, that thou mayest behold My beauty; stop thine ears, that thou mayest hearken unto the sweet melody of My voice; empty thyself of all learning, that thou mayest partake of My knowledge; and sanctify thyself from riches, that thou mayest obtain a lasting share from the ocean of My eternal wealth. Blind thine eyes, that is, to all save My beauty; stop thine ears to all save My word; empty thyself of all learning save the knowledge of Me; that with a clear vision, a pure heart and an attentive ear thou mayest enter the court of My holiness."
(Baha'u'llah, The Persian Hidden Words)

"72. O MY SERVANT!
Thou art even as a finely tempered sword concealed in the darkness of its sheath and its value hidden from the artificer's knowledge. Wherefore come forth from the sheath of self and desire that thy worth may be made resplendent and manifest unto all the world."
(Baha'u'llah, The Persian Hidden Words)

Regards,
Scott

)

lovedmb

Nehustan said:
I was thinking about this question today specifically in relation to the Islamic faith, but as a philisophical question regarding faith I'm going to open it up to a wider audience. Obviously I expect aethiests to pipe up with 'better to have no faith at all' so we can get that one out of the way for a start. This is really a question to people with faith, thus really people without a faith are excluded de facto if not de juro. My rationale in asking this question is that I know (or have met) many good and faithful people with a very basic education, and contrariwise many people with a high level of education with a lesser faith (if there at all). Surely those with most knowledge (of all kinds not just theological) should have a 'better' faith, than those with little knowledge, (pre/il)literate or otherwise.
I don't know that that is necessarily true, I suspected the same thing, that the more educated would be less faithful, but in terms of church going (which i recognize is not the same thing, I'm still searching for "faith" rather than attendance), there really isn't that great of a difference, or at least according to Barna Group.

From their site:

Education
  • 37% have a high school degree or less (42% nat'l)
  • 26% have some college education (28% nat'l)
  • 36% are college graduates (29% nat'l)
For myself though, the more I learn, and develop my critical thinking skills, the further from faith I find myself. So perhaps it isn't about education levels but about the actual process of thinking critically. It is difficult to do, particularly with things you have just always "known". Picking through that little by little, even realizing that you haven't actually thought about something at all is a slow process.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'd rather have knowledge. I just can't see a practical use for more faith and less knowledge.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Nehustan said:
I am not sure whether it is "better......"; I presume you mean 'more valid". From the Christian perspective, I think that there is no straight answer to this; you could have someone who could recite the Bible from the front page to the back page without having an ounce of 'real Christianity' within them, and compare that person with one who has never seen a Bible who is a very good Christian.

I know a lady who is very 'simple' (terribly uneducated, illiterate and ignorant) - and I do not use the word ignorant in a derogarative way, I mean she 'knows' little.

That lady has more wisdom than many others who are educated.

I don't honestly think you can make any generalization like this.;)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I can't really vote because I think knowledge and faith go hand in hand...probably faith taking a bit of precendence.

I live by faith...not by sight. I wouldn't have faith without knowledge. With faith...I can learn "spiritually". Goes hand in hand, IMO.

Pah

Uber all member
From my perspective, it doesn't matter if you have faith or if you have "knowlwege". What is crucial to me is that an individual be comfortable in his or her life with whatever portion or proportiion that identifies and gives sustenance to him or her.

Judgement Day

I voted for lesser faith and greater knowledge. Because with knowledge, you will find the right faith. After you find the right faith, then your faith will increase concurrently with your knowledge. Having great faith with less knowledge may lead you to a blind faith.