• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it better to know and understand everything, or to have incomplete understanding and knowledge?

I think that if one understood and knew everything, that its possible that the being would want to go back to a state in which mystery was a part of reality. Perhaps too much fun, too much adventure, too much excitement, is taken out of life if a being were to come to a complete understanding and knowledge of reality. There would be nothing left to explore... Nothing to wonder about... Perhaps it is more unsatisfying to know and understand everything, than to have incomplete knowledge and understanding...

dust1n

Zindīq
I think that if one understood and knew everything, that its possible that the being would want to go back to a state in which mystery was a part of reality. Perhaps too much fun, too much adventure, too much excitement, is taken out of life if a being were to come to a complete understanding and knowledge of reality. There would be nothing left to explore... Nothing to wonder about... Perhaps it is more unsatisfying to know and understand everything, than to have incomplete knowledge and understanding...

Possibly.. though, if I had complete understanding, I would take control of the world as a benevolent dictator (I would know how to pull this off, I imagine) and then I would lead the world to peace (Something else I would already know how to pull off), and write a political doctrine that could not be broken. I would take a certain amount of students in to teach them every that was needed to know to officially control the world and not be corrupt (I would know how to do that as well), and then everyone will think of me a god figure.

Crazy Professor

Fantastic evidence that the Bible is of divine origin is that we are not able to understand it completely. It just proves that God is so much bigger than us!

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
To the OP: I think that depends on what the Absolute Truth actually is. So who knows.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Everything is possible, I guess. But I doubt I would like to have less knowledge without a very good reason.

Smoke

Done here.
I think it's always better to have more knowledge and understanding, but I can live with the fact that mine will always be incomplete, too. (Not like I got a choice.)

Crazy Professor

If a sacred text could be fully understood this could indicate that it is of human origin. However, if a sacred text is not able to be understood it could also mean that the author was crazy. But then it would just be the mad ravings of someone and not classed as a sacred text. I think that my earlier statement is valid and a type of acid test if you like. I guess it also gives one hope in that not having a full understanding does not mean that God has in some way divorced himself from the individual.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
If a sacred text could be fully understood this could indicate that it is of human origin. However, if a sacred text is not able to be understood it could also mean that the author was crazy. But then it would just be the mad ravings of someone and not classed as a sacred text. I think that my earlier statement is valid and a type of acid test if you like. I guess it also gives one hope in that not having a full understanding does not mean that God has in some way divorced himself from the individual.

Sure, and you could be right. But I've never heard of a religious scripture that can be fully comprehended. So we can't really say that a religion is correct on the basis that its scriptures are mysterious and nor can a mysterious text mean that it is of Divine origin. A human can write something based on their perspective of reality and another human can read it but having a different perspective or reality, would not be able to fully comprehend or correctly interpret the meaning.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To a point, that is true. But being understandable is certainly desirable to any kind of guidance.

Crazy Professor

Sure, and you could be right. But I've never heard of a religious scripture that can be fully comprehended. So we can't really say that a religion is correct on the basis that its scriptures are mysterious and nor can a mysterious text mean that it is of Divine origin. A human can write something based on their perspective of reality and another human can read it but having a different perspective or reality, would not be able to fully comprehend or correctly interpret the meaning.
I guess that we need to understand what "false" refers to. I take "false" to refer to a false or deceptive way of gaining eternal life that does not end up in eternal life. There could be other understandings out there

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess that we need to understand what "false" refers to. I take "false" to refer to a false or deceptive way of gaining eternal life that does not end up in eternal life. There could be other understandings out there

What do you mean? What does the emaning of 'false' have to do with drawing a link between mystery and truth?

Peacewise

The more one knows the more sadness one knows, yet it is also true that one knows more happiness as well.
An entity that knows everything would be perfectly balanced.

Take for example the concept of being cruel to be kind. Like when a parent knows that their child must make their own mistakes to learn best. That knowledge that the parent knows how to not make their child's mistakes could be a burden on the parent for they possibly cannot tell their child how to avoid that mistake, whilst the knowledge that not telling the child is the best thing for the child balances that with a joy that a child does learn from their mistakes.

Likewise being kind can be cruel, for if one is too much of a shield to their child (or whomever) then the child cannot be so independent and it is cruel to limit someone because the parent is too weak in their kindness to be more cruel.

Things are not so simple, and when absolutes are talked about and talked about as generalities it is only our weakness that makes things seem so simple.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But... if the "complete understanding" of reality indicated that reality was a complete and utter mystery, then it would put back total fun, total adventure, total excitement in life. There would be everything to explore, nothing would be certain, and everything would be a wonder.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

The thing is, the more I understand of how the universe works, the more fulfilled I am. I can not imagine wanting to remain in ignorance out of fear of loosing any 'mystery'.

Fantastic evidence that the Bible is of divine origin is that we are not able to understand it completely. It just proves that God is so much bigger than us!
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/scriptural-debates/89342-revealed-revelations-god.html

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
"One who knows all things, but doesn't know himself, is utterly lacking"- Jesus (Gospel of Thomas)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
To give my own answer. It's better not to have all the answers for now, in this existence. If we did, who knows what some would do with such knowledge?