• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Gods Obligation?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What is hell?
Emo this:
You're on the checkout line at a supermarket. There are seven people in front of you. They are all old. They all have two carts and coupons for every item. They are all paying by check. None of them have ID. It's the checkout girl's first day on the job. She doesn't speak any English. Take away fifteen minutes from that, and you begin to get an idea of what hell is.
I have definitely been to that hell more than once. I'd sell my soul to the devil again so I don't have to go back.

gnomon

Is god obligated to do everything that he can to keep people from going to hell?

Some say "he" fulfilled that duty by giving his...ahem...

ONLY BEGOTTEN SON TO DIE ON THE CROSS FOR OUR SINS

It's really hard to get that booming voice across on a message board. Of course, you might be talking about a different God and a different hell. I'm playing the percentages here.

If I made up a God, and I'm feeling like I should since the prevalent attitude is that as long as you make up something and believe in it people have to show you respect:rolleyes:, IT NAMED IT BECAUSE IT NAMED IT THUS IT(that would be it's name) would be obligated for JackRosieO'Donnel.

Scott1

Is god obligated to do everything that he can to keep people from going to hell?
Obligated? Don't think that's the right word, but we believe God "desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth"(1 Tim 2:4) .... to be clear: God predestines no one to go to hell; for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end.... but it's important to point out that God provides us with free and undeserved help to respond to his call to become children of God, adoptive sons, partakers of the divine nature and of eternal life....this is called grace, which is the help God gives us to respond to our vocation of becoming his adopted sons. It introduces us into the intimacy of the Trinitarian life.

Hope that helps,
S

LogDog

Consider this hypothetical scenario: John Smith is a skeptic. He has read the bible but has rejected it. Jesus returns to earth and performs miracles all over the world. John Smith becomes a christian based upon seeing jesus perform miracles. The logical conclusion is that John Smith did not previously reject jesus. He rejected insufficient evidence. Once confronted with sufficient evidence, John Smith became a christian and ought to be entitled to go to heaven. If god does not wish to reveal himself to John Smith in the manner that I described, that is his choice, but I do not have a choice regarding whether or not to abandon my principles and morals and accept a god who refuses to do everything that he is able to do in order to help ensure that as many people as possible go to heaven, and as few people as possible go to hell. No amount of promised rewards and punishments could ever change that. If god wishes to impose impossible demands on me, that is his choice, but there is not anything that I can do about it.

If jesus returned to earth and performed miracles all over the world, it is quite likely that my hypothetical scenario would apply to a lot of people. Human nature being what it is, any being with sufficient power can attract a lot of attention.

Consider the following Scriptures:

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.

John 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

If those events happened, then obviously PERSONAL demonstrations of power are a useful method for converting, and as a result, limiting the number of souls destined for eternal torment.