• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to make fun of religions?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am done with any conversation that compares James Bond to Jesus.

But, I already said I wouldn't make fun of someone who loved James Bond, even when he is played by Timothy Dalton.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I don't see it. Jesus is a religious icon and is worshiped by people. James Bond is a character in books and movies. There is no comparison, in my opinion in comparing making fun of the two.

And yet there are people who worship James Bond....

Perhaps if you were to meet some of the people who do worship James Bond you could "see it"?

OASN:
Other than the height of the pedestal, What is the difference?

CynthiaCypher

Oh how utterly original! To insinuate that Jesus is a fictional character. Gee-whiz, none of us ever heard anything like that before. How shocking and controversial of you! How ever did you come up with such a radical idea?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Oh how utterly original! To insinuate that Jesus is a fictional character. Gee-whiz, none of us ever heard anything like that before. How shocking and controversial of you! How ever did you come up with such a radical idea?

*yawn*
Interesting that you were still unable to answer the question even using 40 words.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
And yet there are people who worship James Bond....

Perhaps if you were to meet some of the people who do worship James Bond you could "see it"?

OASN:
Only in the most bourgeois definition of "worship."

Worship entails so much more than simply "adoration" and "emulation."

steeltoes

Huh?? Please enlighten us with the name of the actor who "plays" Jesus.:rolleyes:

Jim Caviezel played Jesus in Gibson's Passion of the Christ.

images

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, sure. "Self-identifying with a religion" and identifying with the polity of the "machine" is substantively the same as identifying with a political ideology. but that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the self-awareness out of which belief is formed, and out of which the affinities for particular polities are constructed. Make fun of the polities. Don't bully the awareness of self.

Sorry, but I just don't see how the distinction you're trying to draw has any greater basis than in mere semantics. The psychology of self-identification is both subtle and profound. It reaches beyond the consciousness into the subconscious mind. And it pervades how someone sees both themselves and the world.

To dismiss the self-identification of some people with a politics or political entity as somehow essentially different from the self-identification of some people (perhaps the same people) with a deity, religious ideology, or worldview strikes me as uncomprehending of what self-identification actually is.

The psychological self, for most people, is bound up in self-identification. Awareness, for most people, is entwined with self-identification. The very basis of normal consciousness in the division of the world into subject and object is the key support of self-identification.