• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to make fun of the non-religious?

steeltoes

Is it OK for the religious to make fun of the non-religious? I say go ahead, take your best shot, but what do you say, is it OK?

CynthiaCypher

Is it OK for the religious to make fun of the non-religious? I say go ahead, take your best shot, but what do you say, is it OK?

Is it okay to ridicule someone for being non-religious? No, it is not okay. Is it okay to ridicule anyone? I don't think so, but I am guilty of it.

steeltoes

Why can't I be ridiculed for being non-religious? Am I not good enough? You say you're guilty of it so let's see what you've got.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't like ridiculing anyone.
Sometimes, though, it happens.
In a way, it's kind of useful for teaching the more militant and disrespectful non-religious about why being polite to someone who holds different views is a virtue.

So, **** happens.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Tell me when it is ok to make fun of someone, matters of religion not withstanding. Then we will work from there.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend steeltoes,

Is it OK to make fun of the non-religious?

Non-religion is also a religion lol!
besides who can step on those steel toes of yours??

Personally use two ears: Noise goes in through one ear and out the other.
What is of any benefit is held back.

Every action has an opposite reaction which the doer gets back anyway.

Love & rgds

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't like ridiculing anyone.
Sometimes, though, it happens.
In a way, it's kind of useful for teaching the more militant and disrespectful non-religious about why being polite to someone who holds different views is a virtue.

So, **** happens.

I also do my darnedest not to ridicule anyone, either. I don't like being ridiculed; so if I did ridicule anyone, wouldn't that make me kind of a hypocrite?

I agree that learning not to ridicule others can be a virtue. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I also do my darnedest not to ridicule anyone, either. I don't like being ridiculed; so if I did ridicule anyone, wouldn't that make me kind of a hypocrite?

I agree that learning not to ridicule others can be a virtue. :)
I suppose it depends on the motive. It's why I don't mind playing devil's advocate. :D
If it's just to be a dick, it'd be hypocritical -- but, I think, if it's to show how they are acting and why it's not nice, it's actually going to be helpful in the long run.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
It depends on nothing more than the desire to do so. The consequences, however... that's a bit more complex. But in any case... making fun of... last time I checked fun was good. I don't see the problem.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It depends on nothing more than the desire to do so. The consequences, however... that's a bit more complex. But in any case... making fun of... last time I checked fun was good. I don't see the problem.
Some people can't handle it though. Some people can give but not receive.
Which I suppose serves them right... :D

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Some people can't handle it though. Some people can give but not receive.
Which I suppose serves them right... :D

There is no reason not to be polite, either. How one acts is their own business. How I react to them is mine. And each of us in turn, of course.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There is no reason not to be polite, either. How one acts is their own business. How I react to them is mine. And each of us in turn, of course.
Good point.
If they're going to be disrespectful, they deserve the disrespect they get in turn?

I do feel as though a lot of antis feel they have the right to say anything they like, even disrespectful, but will get upset if the same is given to them. Religious people should be meek and take it, they seem to think.

And we all know the antis are the easiest people to troll. :D

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I can only speak for myself, obviously.

I agree with you, I see no problems whatsoever when people laugh at me for not believing.

Ciao

- viole

CynthiaCypher

Why can't I be ridiculed for being non-religious? Am I not good enough? You say you're guilty of it so let's see what you've got.

You know I would argue this issue with you and try to show you through reason why it is a bad idea to try to hurt people through words, but I am under an injunction from Jesus to not to throw pearls before swine.

Why bother trying to cram reason and understanding into a head that is filled nonsense? You just can't do it, so I will not bother.