• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to make fun of the non-religious?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It depends on nothing more than the desire to do so. The consequences, however... that's a bit more complex. But in any case... making fun of... last time I checked fun was good. I don't see the problem.

If it's in fun, then it is teasing, not making fun. I know there doesn't seem to be a difference in the two, but teasing is when both sides are having fun while with making fun, only one side is having fun at the expense of another person (the way I see it).

CynthiaCypher

Are we talking intent only, or do the actual results figure there as well?

How can one be divorced from the other? If you intend your actions to cause harm, you will invariably cause harm.

Now when it comes to ridicule, I believe that sometimes one has to cruel in order to be kind. Sometimes ridicule is not meant to harm but at times to teach a valuable lesson. But for most people they don't want to instruct when they ridicule others, they want to harm, they want to humiliate the object of their ridicule for no other reason than to see them humiliated.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If a stranger overheard some of the fun conversations I'd have with my atheist friends, or better yet my non-vegetarian friends, they'd think the entire conversation was hate-speech.

There are those who have a sense of humour and timing, and then there are those who don't.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is it OK for the religious to make fun of the non-religious? I say go ahead, take your best shot, but what do you say, is it OK?

I'm with Confucius on this one. Diminishing humaneness diminishes human dignity. The man who diminishes others is himself diminished.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
How would someone make fun of an atheist? I've never heard it done. Do people get into people's faces and say "nah, nah, you don't believe in God!" :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It's a tricky thing to pull off, so it usually comes out as hate speech.

Is hate speech the same as making fun? If it is, then making fun of religious would be hate speech, too. I don't see them as the same, but, just the same, I'd be careful. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How would someone make fun of an atheist? I've never heard it done.
It happens, but since we have nothing sacred, there's no bite to it.
Example:
Regarding discussions occurring the afterlife, "An atheist can never say I told you so."
I've no disagreement with this pseudo-clever taunt.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Is hate speech the same as making fun? If it is, then making fun of religious would be hate speech, too. I don't see them as the same, but, just the same, I'd be careful. ;)

I don't see them as the same either. It depends on whether the statement is made with a light heart or a hardened one. You can generally tell if a joke is merely a jab with a smirk veiling it.

CynthiaCypher

It happens, but since we have nothing sacred, there's no bite to it.
Example:
Regarding discussions occurring the afterlife, "An atheist can never say I told you so."
I've no disagreement with this pseudo-clever taunt.

Oh really? I've seen atheist become very indignant when their favorite rock stars have been criticized or ridiculed. I've criticized Richard Dawkins a number of times for being a shallow low level misogynist and Christopher Hitchens as a amoral blowhard and propagandist and that didn't sit well with the atheists who admire Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens.

steeltoes

Oh really? I've seen atheist become very indignant when their favorite rock stars have been criticized or ridiculed. I've criticized Richard Dawkins a number of times for being a shallow low level misogynist and Christopher Hitchens as a amoral blowhard and propagandist and that didn't sit well with the atheists who admire Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens.
You were making it personal by attacking individuals, maybe that is why people came to their defense, I don't know. This thread is about making fun of the non religious in general, not anyone in particular.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
How would someone make fun of an atheist? I've never heard it done. Do people get into people's faces and say "nah, nah, you don't believe in God!" :D

Q: Why did the atheist throw her watch out the window?

A: She wanted to see if it was designed intelligently enough to evolve into a bird.

Q: Did you hear about the the evangelical atheist?

A: She went door to door with a book full of blank pages.

An atheist was taking a walk through the woods, admiring all that evolution had created.

"What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!", he said to himself. As he was walking along the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. When he turned to see what the cause was, he saw a 7-foot grizzly charging right towards him. He ran as fast as he could. He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was closing, He ran even faster, crying in fear. He looked over his shoulder again, and the bear was even closer. His heart was pounding and he tried to run even faster. He tripped and fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up, but saw the bear right on top of him, reaching for him with his left paw and raising his right paw to strike him.

At that moment, the Atheist cried out "Oh my God!...." Time stopped. The bear froze. The forest was silent. Even the river stopped moving.

As a bright light shone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky, "You deny my existence for all of these years; teach others I don''''t exist; and even credit creation to a cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?"

The atheist looked directly into the light "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask You to treat me as Christian now, but perhaps could you make the bear a Christian?" "Very well," said the voice.

The light went out. The river ran again. And the sounds of the forest resumed.

And then the bear dropped his right paw ..... brought both paws together...bowed his head and spoke: "Lord, for this food which I am about to receive, I am truly thankful.

Erebus

I have the same opinion about this as I do about mocking religious people. Basically, go right ahead and mock but try to have a modicum of taste, wit and charm.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Is it OK for the religious to make fun of the non-religious? I say go ahead, take your best shot, but what do you say, is it OK?

I'm an equal opportunity mockery-maker. Go for it.

People are weird, regardless of religious belief or not.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
If it's in fun, then it is teasing, not making fun. I know there doesn't seem to be a difference in the two, but teasing is when both sides are having fun while with making fun, only one side is having fun at the expense of another person (the way I see it).

I certainly understand your point, but really you are speaking to the consequences again. Of course it is always in our best interest to consider the consequences of our actions regardless of how right or wrong they may seem in the moment.

To say, "It's okay to make fun of you." will not stop that person from pounding your face in all the same. Nor will their statement, "But he made fun of me." prevent the police from hauling them to jail for the night.

Even when its just 'teasing' as you put it, there is nothing to say you didn't harm someone's feelings despite their ability to laugh through it.

The reality is that there is no such thing as thought-crime and we should never entertain the notion that there is such a thing. If you think a thing deserves ridicule then you should ridicule that thing. Otherwise... you don't really think that. Right?