• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Possible For Males and Females to Be Platonic Friends?

Shermana

Heretic
So what if they did? I'm not saying none of them didn't. You said ALL of them do with ALL of their friends. That's ridiculously assumptive.

Then you can't really call it Platonic
. Ask all those friends if they would if you allowed it and report your findings.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So what if they did? I'm not saying none of them didn't. You said ALL of them do with ALL of their friends. That's ridiculously assumptive.
This points out an advantage of the internet.
One can never be sure who the other poster really is, helping keep everything platonic.
(I still suspect that Kathryn is 17 year old boy from New Jersey.)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So only the "weird" ones are giving them tips (as an excuse to touch) and hiring them for lapdances?

Only in the hopes that they'll get some action later.

My dear, I used to frequent strip clubs with my husband, and he's been there without me too. There never has been a time when the guy has ever hoped and prayed for anything beyond that.

Like I said...this thread is hilarious. :p

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight

Then you can't really call it Platonic
. Ask all those friends if they would if you allowed it and report your findings.

You must not understand platonic friendships, and you clearly refuse to believe it's possible.

Just kind of silly.

I'm sure some may have had occasional desire. So what?? Nothing ever happened. In years. I'm sure some of them may have occasionally wished to pull someone out of their car and beat a person senseless for a driving error. But they never did. Does that change anything about the nature of their driving?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
One can never be sure who the other poster really is, helping keep everything platonic.

:D

I'm not really a bird. :eek:

Shermana

Heretic
You must not understand platonic friendships, and you clearly refuse to believe it's possible.

Just kind of silly.

I'm sure some may have had occasional desire. So what?? Nothing ever happened. In years. I'm sure some of them may have occasionally wished to pull someone out of their car and beat a person senseless for a driving error. But they never did. Does that change anything about the nature of their driving?

Platonic Love | Reference.com

Platonic love can be described as a spiritual love between two sexes. Often referred to as a "friendship" love, platonic love is non romantic. This type of love is often felt between two close friends of opposite sexes. Many of these type of relationships exist throughout life. Platonic love is just as deep and strong as romantic love, but with no sexual feelings involved.

but with no sexual feelings involved

Draka

Wonder Woman
Shermana, just how old are you anyway? Because I'm thinking I have to agree with Turk here. You sound like you're a young guy, maybe 16-20 years old or so, and are nothing but raging ball of hormones. No wonder you think males are ruled by what's in their pants. Just because you have thoughts of sex everytime the wind blows perfume past your nose or you see the slightest bit of cleavage, doesn't mean all men are like that. Maybe when you actually grow up you'll learn just how wrong you are now. Maybe :rolleyes:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It would be easier for me to have platonic female friends if every chick I knew wasn't desperate to get me in the sack. Oh well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would be easier for me to have platonic female friends if every chick I knew wasn't desperate to get me in the sack. Oh well.
Hawaiian shirts can fix that.
And if they fail, discuss 19th century developments in machine tool design.
Women never pester me.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know. I think there may be a rare occasion where some guy wants to go after every woman he comes into contact with sexually, but most men I have known are pretty secure and pretty mature. The same with women. There are other interests other than sex. I do like talking to women but there are times when a subject is more interesting to discuss with me. Or mostly, both men and women are speaking together in a group. I think we need to assume that most men and women are sexually mature and don't have a need to chase after sex.

Shermana

Heretic
Women never pester me.

The Machine Tool Design thing will only make things more complicated if she's an Engineering major. The Hawaiian Shirt is a good deterrent though.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

DAMN - BUSTED!

typical-17-year-old-boy-800x800.jpg

Me for real

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
People who let the idea of possible sexual feelings prevent what could be a very good friendship are really missing out. It also doesn't help our society seems to have a jealousy problem, and many view a friendship of people of the opposite sex as something that can only be sexual.
I recommend if you don't have a platonic friend of the opposite sex, go out and make one. A friendship can extend to far more than just a girls night out or the guys
getting together. And no, meeting your friend of the opposite sex for dinner, or going out and doing fun things with them does not have to be considered a date. You can even talk about sex with a platonic friend without the relationship turning sexual.

Maybe when you actually grow up you'll learn just how wrong you are now. Maybe :rolleyes:
Hopefully one day he'll meet a good girl, and realize he doesn't want anything sexual from her, but a friendship that will last.

Women never pester me.
LOL! If you discussed machine tool design with my girlfriend she would take the conversation deeper after she got in a giggle over the Hawaiian shirt. I'm very jealous of her that her high school had a robotics program and mine didn't.:sad: But she did make a few platonic friends in it, considering she was one of the few girls in that program.