• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Reasonable to Compare Gods with Bigfoot, Fairies, Unicorns, and Leprechauns?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I agree with this. And the ubiquity of religion, across every culture throughout human history, suggests to me a deep human need to connect with something greater and more powerful than our finite selves.

That, and / or a proneness to engage in superstition.
So this speaks to human psychology, not to what is actually true.

The satisfaction of this yearning, I would suggest, is at the root of all religious experience.

I think it is at best just one part of it.
Another, imo bigger, part of it is human (in fact even "animal") psychological inclination to engage in type 2 cognition errors (the false positive) and a psychological tendency to infuse agency into otherwise random things coupled with a sense that many things that happen center around you.

A sound in the bushes then becomes "a dangerous predator is out to get me".
Which forms the breeding ground for "the gods are watching over me" or "malicious spirits are after me"

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
"Objective reality" is an imagined state of being.

It is precisely not that.
There's nothing imaginary about what happens, WILL happen, when you step into a fire, for example.

Objective reality is that which is, regardless of you believing it, or even existing.

To go back to your silly semantics game of "pixies are real". Delete humans from existence. The "existing" pixies (as you defined "existing") will be deleted along with them. They don't exist independently of human minds.

I posit gods are the same.

Conversely, if humans get deleted, planet earth - which objectively exist - will still be there. So will the sun and the rest of the universe.

How can you continue to refuse to recognize this?

Because it's obvious nonsense.

Unless you imagine that it exists, it does not exist.

Imagine the fire doesn't exist and go stand in the middle of it then. See if the fire is going to care if you "imagine" it to be real or not.

And yet you incoherently imagine that it exists separate from and above and beyond any imagined reality.
Que?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Without the ability to imagine what would happen if there were no gravity, you would have no awareness of gravity as a thing, at all. It would still exist, but you would never know of it.

That's objective reality for ya: that which exists regardless of your opinion or beliefs

Because you can imagine this fantasy state of "objectivity" that exists beyond human awareness, it now exists for you, like gravity. But without the ability to imagine that it exists, it would no longer exist for you, even if it exists, regardless of you.

Playing with the word "exist" again, I see.
As if it is merely a matter of opinion.

But I can see that you will never understand this, or why it matters. You are one of those people that has to believe yourself, absolutely. Much like the religious zealots have to believe in their God, absolutely. That dare not consider themselves to be living in an imaginary landscape of seen and unseen possibility.
There ya go again with the word salad.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I would be equally sanguine if not for the reality that how others vote affect the way they behave and participate in society. The greater the number of "yea's", the greater the impact on society as a whole. That affects me as a member of society and consequently makes itself relevant regardless of my position on the matter.

Yes, although I have noticed some progress in this area over the centuries. Still a long way to go, though.

MikeF

Premium Member
To be "demonstrated", alternative possibilities must be imagined, for comparison. Without those imagined alternative possibilities, we can 'learn' nothing of anything. Everything would remain just what it is. And inexplicable.

There is no existence without our imagining the alternative for comparison (even though the alternative does not logically 'exist'). There is no objective reality without our imagining it as an alternative to the subjective reality that we are experiencing. Imagination generates all of this. Everything you think you know, you known by imagining alternative possibilities and comparing and contrasting them, and then choosing the possibilities that you deem "true".

We all do. It's how we are what we are ... human.

No one is arguing against or denying the role of imagination, as you have described here, in human thought. What you seem to be ignoring is that once we imagine alternatives, those alternatives can be tested. This testing, as simple as a baby dropping their sippy cup repeatedly off of their highchair, allows us to formulate reasoned expectations, and as those expectations continue to be met, to be *demonstrated*, we develop confidence in those expectations. We can then begin to demarcate between imagined alternatives that are demonstrable, and those that are not.

So I say again, acknowledging and accepting objective reality in no way denies, ignores, or diminishes the role or contribution of imagination in human thought.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It MAY still exist, we would have no way of knowing, or even caring. But you aren't going to get this, are you.

Great minds have contemplated this conundrum for eons but you are a true believer of science. So for you, science has rendered philosophy, theology, religion, and any other alternative to science irrelevant. You are a "true believer" in science, now. Right?
How are those things "alternatives" to science?

PureX

Veteran Member
Make up your mind!

The important point, that you keep ignoring, is that we would still be unable to escape it's effects even if we didn't imagine it.
There would be no "point" and certainly no importance because there would be no cognition of any "effect". It would not exist, because to exist, it would have to be recognized as not, not existing. But this couldn't happen without our ability to imagine such a non-extant alternative state.
As I pointed out before (#243), the distinction you keep on denying is something you (and everybody else) has to accept in day-to-day life.
I am not "denying" anything. I am trying to get you to see that your argument is nonsensical. Objective reality is a mythical idea created by your imagination. Whether or not it corresponds with our experience is something we must use our imaginations to determine. You are worshipping something that you can't even prove to exist (objective reality) because the only means you have if proving anything exists or foesn't is based on your imagination.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And the ubiquity of religion, across every culture throughout human history, suggests to me a deep human need to connect with something greater and more powerful than our finite selves.
There are other ways to commune with nature than through religions and god beliefs, which add nothing for me.
It looks that way perhaps, to a materialist who views the pursuit of all human goals from a transactional mindset.
You don't understand humanists. You seem to see having a god belief or a religion as the only path to a meaningful and satisfying relationship with reality. And of course, you dehumanize those who reject religions and theism. But you're not alone. Here is one of my favorite examples of this depiction of atheism as lacking any inner life. Note that he sees himself as a spiritualist, which to him is a cut above the religionist, whose experiences are also inauthentic, but at least the religionist has them however inauthentic they might be:

1701867901774.png

These "facts" (directional proclamations) only correspond to reality in one very specific time and place. Everywhere else in the entire universe they will be shown to be false (not 'real'). So this is hardly a good example of how facts equal reality. Reality (your mythical 'objective' reality, not the idea of reality that we all hold in our minds) is always true and always real. No exceptions. While facts are only true, if they are true at all, within the very limited context of a specific time, place, and cognitive perspective.
This is your response to my refutation of your claim that facts and reality had nothing to do with one another. I gave you a concrete example of a fact and what made it a fact - it's accurate mapping of a piece of reality regarding the path from my front door to a pier - and this is how you respond, with more of this postmodern, epistemic nihilism. So what if a fact is only a fact here and now, that the directions to the pier, for example, only apply if you live where I do, and even then, not forever? That's where we are and when we're there.
So far not one of you complainers has managed to show how I am incorrect about ANYTHING I've posted.
Complainers? It's only you complaining as you just did there. You're being told that your thinking appears confused and counterproductive to others and doesn't comport with their own experience and view of reality. You object and are at times offended, but you can't give anybody a reason to join you or even affirm it any way.

You want to be shown where you are incorrect about your unsupported opinions. Where that has happened, it has had no effect on your subsequent thinking or posting, hence the comment above. But that is not the job of your audience. You need to show where you are correct, and if you want to have any impact on others, why your thoughts lead to some kind of better outcome for those holding them.

And you've still failed to address the observation that you don't actually apply this thinking to the activities of daily life, which are the primary reality we all experience. You go about the tasks of daily life just life everyone you call materialist or guilty of scientism, planning a day of chores and leisure activities according to a litany of beliefs just like the front-door-to-the-pier belief that inform your decisions to allow you to control outcomes and make all of that happen. It's when you sit down at your computer to post on RF that you can wax poetic about the elusive nature of reality and the limitations of consciousness in assessing it and belittle others and their myopic thinking for finding nothing of value there for themselves.

It seems that like so many others, it's important to you to think that you see further and possess arcane knowledge, which I can understand. I feel the same about skill with critical thinking and the world it has revealed to me, but the difference there is that I can demonstrate the fruit of that approach to reality. I'm pretty sure that you can't do that for any of the stuff you say that nobody has refuted.
I just showed you how facts are not even remotely the same thing as reality even though you claimed I was wrong about this.
No, you didn't. I showed you how you were wrong, but it had no impact on you. You just hand-waved it away by shifting focus to places and times when the fact in the pier example was not a fact.
Imagination is the cognitive engine that drives all human comprehension. Without it we would literally still be bands of naked primates living in the forests. No language, no tools, no order that wasn't written into our genetic code. And yet some of you here seem to want to dismiss and disparage human imagination as being silly and useless and even dishonest, just because you don't like that it has generated the possibility of God. How incredibly childish and short-sighted.
Straw man. Nobody here has disparaged imagination, and nobody here has objected to the idea that gods are possible. What's being criticized is your blurring of concepts like idea and its referent if any, and the willingness to believe that gods exist as more than ideas because one can imagine them.

MikeF

Premium Member
There would be no "point" and certainly no importance because there would be no cognition of any "effect". It would not exist, because to exist, it would have to be recognized as not, not existing. But this couldn't happen without our ability to imagine such a non-extant alternative state.

Simply not true. We can cognate, experience, acknowledge events without understanding. I would suggest a newborn baby's life is nothing but that in the beginning.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I am not "denying" anything. I am trying to get you to see that your argument is nonsensical. Objective reality is a mythical idea created by your imagination. Whether or not it corresponds with our experience is something we must use our imaginations to determine. You are worshipping something that you can't even prove to exist (objective reality) because the only means you have if proving anything exists or foesn't is based on your imagination.
The idea that @ratiocinator is "worshipping" objective reality is beyond ridiculous and only goes to show how absurd your rant here is.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Word salad, yum. If you think gravity would have no relevance to us if we didn't imagine it, then stop imagining it and float off into the air. It affects rocks too and they don't imagine anything.

I am not "denying" anything.
Nonsense. You are denying that objective existence is different from imagination. That's been the whole point.

I am trying to get you to see that your argument is nonsensical.
Then you would do well to address the actual points I'm making, then. Reiterating what you've said before doesn't really help.

Objective reality is a mythical idea created by your imagination.
There you go denying something after saying "I am not "denying" anything." You could argue the that representation of reality is created by our imagination (indeed some have described our perception of it as a "controlled hallucination") but you are still ignoring the fact that it is qualitatively different from the rest of the contents of our mind and is inescapable.

You are worshipping something...
False. I don't do worship.

...that you can't even prove to exist (objective reality) because the only means you have if proving anything exists or foesn't is based on your imagination.
I'm not trying to claim proof of anything. What we experience as objective reality may not actually be real, but it makes no practical difference because it remains inescapable. If it isn't reality, it might as well be, for all practical purposes.

Denying the distinction between 'objective reality' and the rest of our imagination is not something that anybody can possibly seriously believe because they'd just not survive (#243, again).

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God has made Himself known, you just don't like the way He did it.
Except that neither he nor I know this god, so I guess it didn't make itself known.
Why should God care about what you like?
Assuming one exists, why should I or anybody else care what the god likes? Why do you? Are you thinking that it might punish you if you don't please it?

And how could we even know what a god wanted? Maybe it just wants to be ignored or is indifferent to man. All we have on earth are claims men wrote about gods that they can know nothing about if they exist, since none have communicated effectively with mankind. This is the basis of apatheism, or apathy for the question of the existence of gods.
The message from God for this age is clear and unambiguous, but you can't get that message unless you read what Baha'u'llah wrote.
All I've seen there are the words of a man speaking for an unseen god. I have no reason to pay further attention to those words.
The difference between me and you is that I did not look at the claims of Baha'u'llah, not until I had been a Baha'i for decades. Nor did I care much about whether God existed or have a need to prove that. Rather I looked at the Baha'i Faith in its entirety - the spiritual and social teachings and the underpinning theology of progressive revelation, and that there is only one God and all religions are from that God.
Are you saying that you were a member of a faith for decades and never read the words of its best-known prophet? Earlier, you suggested that your evidence for belief came from the messenger - his character, mission, and words. Now, it seems that what drew you into the religion was something else, but I can't tell what. Was there a Baha'i community that you socialized with that you found appealing?
any knowledge I have of God comes through the Messenger of God. That is perfectly rational.
It is not rational to conclude that that message is from a god, but remember that I don't consider rogue reason able to generate rational or well-reasoned conclusions. You have your own rules of inference, and they don't generate sound conclusions. They support fervently held beliefs.
I know that leprechauns do not exist.
How? What observation or experiment rules out the possibility of their existence?

At the risk of offending, can you see how all of your arguments for believing in gods apply here as well. Why should leprechauns want to make themselves known to you? They have revealed themselves, but not in a way you like. They used messengers to tell their tales of pots of gold and rainbows. It's not their fault if those messengers didn't convince you:

1701872057665.png

That is nothing more than a personal opinion.
The comment was, " if that person believes in a god, they do so by faith, not reason." That's a fact.
In my opinion, I believe in God based upon both reason and faith. To say that God has to be believed on either reason or faith, that it cannot be both, is the either-or fallacy.
That's incongruent. It's not reason unless it's pure reason. Admix even a seed of faith, and the belief is n longer a sound conclusion.
To say that God has to be believed on either reason or faith, that it cannot be both, is the either-or fallacy.
An either-or fallacy occurs when someone claims there are only two possible options or sides in an argument when there are actually more. This is a manipulative method that forces others to accept the speaker's viewpoint as legitimate, feasible, or ethical. Jul 23, 2023
What Is the Either-Or Fallacy? | Examples & Definition
Disagree. Justified and unjustified belief form a MECE group - mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive - meaning that every belief is one or the other but none are both or neither.
And there never will be sufficient evidence to justify a God belief according to the standards of academia, courtrooms, and scientific peer review because religion is not academics, science or law. To expect the evidence for a religion to be the same as the evidence for science or law is to commit the fallacy of false equivalence.
You are committing the fallacy of special pleading. Gods are not exempt from critical analysis.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just like all theists, any knowledge I have of God comes through the Messenger of God. That is perfectly rational.
You seem to have a personal definition of "rational."
No, I don't know that God exists only because of the Messenger. That is the best evidence but I don't need a Messenger for evidence; all I need is logic and reason to figure out that God exists.

I know that God exists by means of the second way on my list: Cognitive (Rational)
The evidence, then, presupposes the God in question. How is this rational?
2. Cognitive (Rational)
With cognitive, you know something because you’ve thought your way through it, argued it, or rationalized it.
But you have not, or have, at least, made rational errors. We try to point this out, but it seems to go right over your head.
No, I do not want to believe in God. I believe because of the Messengers and because I thought my way through it.

I said: "I would say that the existence of all the great religions is the main reason that I believe in God."
The messengers presuppose your conclusion of God. It's circular.
That is not the fallacy of argumentum ad populum because I do not believe because many or most people believe in a religion. I do not care what the masses believe. I believe because it makes sense to ME that God exists owing to the existence of all the great religions.
"Makes sense to me" Is not a rational principle. A thing is not right because it seems right.

You want some kind of evidence that does not exist. Religion is the evidence for God.
????? And you think you're being rational? Belief is not evidence of the thing believed.
You acknowledge that there is insufficient evidence to believe your God-claim, then object to our disbelief. How is this reasonable?
If the Messenger is a manifestation of God then He is infallible since God is infallible.
A circular non-sequitur? Creative.
All your arguments presuppose God. You need to establish the existence of God before you invent Manifestations as evidence.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Just like all theists, any knowledge I have of God comes through the Messenger of God. That is perfectly rational.
It's not rational in any way. What messengers claim is not factual, and facts are what is required to be rational. I understand believers what their beliefs to be true, but they lack facts.
No, I don't know that God exists only because of the Messenger. That is the best evidence but I don't need a Messenger for evidence; all I need is logic and reason to figure out that God exists.

I know that God exists by means of the second way on my list: Cognitive (Rational)

2. Cognitive (Rational)
With cognitive, you know something because you’ve thought your way through it, argued it, or rationalized it.

No, I do not want to believe in God. I believe because of the Messengers and because I thought my way through it.
Then what makes you special and can reason better and more accurately than all other critical thinkers in the world? Something is wrong in your beliefs as you claim to be rational but your beliefs are of a theist. As we see no theist can show their beliefs are rational and treue either. So what are all the atheists in the world getting wrong that you somehow get right?
I said: "I would say that the existence of all the great religions is the main reason that I believe in God."

That is not the fallacy of argumentum ad populum because I do not believe because many or most people believe in a religion. I do not care what the masses believe. I believe because it makes sense to ME that God exists owing to the existence of all the great religions.

You want some kind of evidence that does not exist. Religion is the evidence for God.
See, now you admit there isn't the evidence that is required, so how can you know anthing that you claim?
If the Messenger is a manifestation of God then He is infallible since God is infallible.
See, you admit mesengers aren't factual in what they claim. That means we can't assume they are correct.
Why would it matter if religious believers are only convinced of their own religions and very few agree with Baha'i?
Because critical thinkers require the standard level of evidence to accept anthing they claim.
The Narrow Way

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because[a] narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. (Matthew 7:13-14)

Few people are able to enter through the narrow gate because it is narrow, so it is difficult to get through and few people are able to follow the narrow road because it is narrow, so it is difficult to walk on. It is much easier to enter through a wide gate and walk on abroad road.

It is difficult to get through the narrow gate because one has to be willing to give up all their preconceived ideas, have an open mind, and think for themselves. Most people do not embark upon such a journey. They go through the wide gate, the easy one to get through – their own religious tradition or their own preconceived ideas about God or no god. They follow that broad road that is easiest for them to travel.... and that is why the NEW religion is always rejected by most people for a very long time after it has been revealed.
None of this impacts how we humans reason to sound conclusions. Arguably the "narrow way" is reasoning, because that is the cognitive skill that allows wisdom to work. We see the mistakes and emotional beliefs of believers who work hard to maintain their framework, especially in defense against criticism.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yep. And I know god does not exist.
You believe you know god does not exist, just as I believe I know that leprechauns do not exist.
Unless we can prove that these entities do not exist we do not know they don't exist.

The difference between God and leprechauns is that we know leprechauns are made up entities that are based upon folklore and there is no evidence that they exist in reality, but there is evidence that God exists in reality.

Last edited: