• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Reasonable to Compare Gods with Bigfoot, Fairies, Unicorns, and Leprechauns?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
That's bad news for you claiming knowledge of a God existing.
From 1969-1973 I had knowledge of God. Except during that time, it was three very different and contradictory views of who that God was. A very Eastern, New Age kind of God, and we could commune with and become "one" with that God. The Baha'i concept of God, that there was only one God, and that God sent the different manifestations, and that all the religions were one. And then the Fundy Christian God that was made up of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. And that other religion all followed false prophets and false Gods.

All of them seemed true... as long as I believed in them. So, even for those believing in just one God, what is believed about that God varies.

MikeF

Premium Member
To me, reality is what we can agree on exists. Take an apple, doesn't matter what each of us calls it or how we describe it, our interpretation of taste or color. We can agree that it exists and that is real. An individual can't conclude that an apple doesn't exist in their reality, that would simply be mental.

Interesting. Yeah, that doesn’t work for me, nor does it in a scientific approach to exploring and understanding the world around us. :)

I do not see it as useful to define reality as a subjective concept merely referring to one’s personal and potentially flawed subjective perception. To my mind, we need a word that can reference all that exists external to our thoughts, that refers to that which exists whether or not there are any human beings to perceive it.

That is a fallacy or at least a contradiction.

You can't say that we don't know and then at the same time exclude all supernatural explanations. Because that means that you at least know that those are impossible without providing any proof of how you reached that conclusion, which contradicts what you started by saying "We don't know".

If you don't know, then you don't know. Then you can't start concluding things.

That is the issue I was trying to explain.

What, actually, am I saying though. I am saying that if there is no data available upon which to formulate an understanding, then collectively, from a professional stance of scientific inquiry, with all the principles and standards that entails, no assessment or conclusion can be made. If you as an individual suggest that there are multiple parallel Universes that do not interact or communicate in any way for no other reason than you can imagine such a thing, from a neutral and objective scientific perspective, such a suggestion can only be treated as fiction, specifically science fiction in this case. :)

The above applies to the case of absolutely not data. What of the cases involving limited or incomplete data? This would be where the lion's share of the hard work is done in science. In these cases, science uses language to indicate the degree of confidence to which suggested explanations are held. They range from hypothesis, to theory, to established fact. Outside of this consists of guesses and speculation. The word Law is also used in science to reference established relationships between variables.

This also highlights an important point, and that is that it doesn’t really matter what you or I or any individual speculates about the nature of reality as human beings are imperfect and fallible. Wouldn’t you agree? To achieve some level of objectivity in addressing these questions regarding reality, these inherent imperfections and fallibilities have to be mitigated in some way, and that is done through professional scientific investigation. Through this collective professional effort we are able to establish and build our objective understanding of reality. Part of that scientific process is freely acknowledging questions that can’t yet be answered or meaningfully speculated upon.

Again how do you know this? If there are more Universes we could measure this as interference in our own if they pass through each other, at least in theory.

I assumed we were treating this as a hypothetical example of something that is suggested in which there is no data to either establish or infer it. Any answer to a question regarding objective reality that relies on unfalsifiable premises cannot be considered anything other than fiction, or again, science fiction. :)

Yet, that is what you are doing? :D

You are perfectly entitled to say that you don't believe parallel universes or the supernatural exists, but concluding that they don't is jumping to unjustified conclusions.

I’ll reiterate here that it is not about what I personally think or say, nor what anyone personally thinks or says. Such things only represent our potentially flawed and fallible subjective opinion.

Instead, we should be speaking to, and referencing what the collective scientific understanding is in regards to reality. From this perspective, is it really jumping to conclusions to dismiss the notion of the “supernatural”, an unobservable, undetectable realm immune from verification? How does one declare such a realm, immune from verification, and then make specific claims about what it contains? Is this not ludicrous from a scientific perspective?

If the answer to a question lies beyond our perception, all that is left is to say we do not know.

The ignorance of the person shooting down someone's claim for which they have no knowledge of. I'm not talking about let's say flat earthers, given there are tons of evidence that this is simply not true, so we already have enough to shoot down such nonsense. But for instance, someone presenting an alternative theory to the Big Bang, dark matter, or even supernatural things like gods etc. So things that are in the unknown.

If you are putting the Big Bang and dark matter on the same footing as “the supernatural” and all the many “gods”, then we are clearly not on the same page. The confidence in the Big Bang, centered around an observable expanding Universe, carries the confidence level of a bona fide scientific theory. The term “dark matter” is a placeholder to represent observed gravitational effects that can’t be attributed to observable matter due to our observational limitations (we currently cannot fly out to these distant galaxies and make closer observations). As a placeholder, it is less an explanation and more of a label for an unexplainable yet observable phenomenon.

Do you really have the same level of confidence in “the supernatural” and all the many “gods” that science places in the Big Bang Theory?

I completely agree, I see no evidence that these are true. But it is not up to me to conclude that those believing in God are wrong. It is up to them to present evidence of why I should take their claims seriously.

I completely disagree. With an approach of reasoned and rational skepticism, we automatically set any personal belief aside given our well documented scientific understanding of the many ways in which we are fallible. For any claim about reality to be taken seriously it would require scientific evaluation and subsequent acceptance with some degree of confidence assigned.

Yes, not especially because of God, but because we can't verify that things in these religious texts couldn't have occurred, whereas we can easily prove that Gandalf is from Lord of the Rings and Tolkien never claimed that these were anything other than fictional characters. But jumping to the conclusion that God isn't real again contradicts the statement that we don't know when God is said to have created the Universe and this is meant seriously, it is an actual claim.

Really? We can’t apply our 21st century understanding of reality, referencing broadly our knowledge of physics, biology with emphasis on evolution and behavioral sciences, sociology, anthropology, history, and Biblical Criticism to bear on claims made in religious texts? I find the argument of, “You weren’t there so you can’t say one way or another.”, to be a specious one.

To me, the same rules applying to religious claims apply to all claims.

Absolutely.

No, because you can make a claim based on well-known facts, even though your claim might be unknowable. For instance black holes, quantum theory, the big bang. All pretty crazy ideas in terms of magnitude or what to say, yet I don't think they were considered extraordinary claims, because something didn't add up when they were first suggested, much like dark matter and energy are now.

Yes, an example of that could be the multiverse theory, which could explain the fine-tuning issue. Obviously, it runs into a lot of other issues :D nonetheless not a completely bogus idea.

Fine-tuning issue, eh? I’ll simply refer to my comment above in regards to your comments here.

They are not treated as facts, they are treated as theories, just as we could say God is, it is merely a theory that hasn't been proven. And also why they are not taken seriously in regards to how we do science.

Myths are theories? No, they really are not at all. You seem to acknowledge this in the second sentence. Myths are not dismissed out-of-hand as you have implied in our conversation. Myths are appropriately dismissed as myth after evaluation in light of our 21st century understanding of the world around us and ourselves.

Last edited:

Nimos

To my mind, we need a word that can reference all that exists external to our thoughts, that refers to that which exists whether or not there are any human beings to perceive it.
That would be objectivity, but reality only exists when there is an observer, in this case, humans. It becomes pointless if we weren't here? Is what you mean, things that are objectively true?

Like gravity being objectively true, regardless of whether humans existed or not? If we didn't exist why would the reality of it matter?

If you as an individual suggest that there are multiple parallel Universes that do not interact or communicate in any way for no other reason than you can imagine such a thing, from a neutral and objective scientific perspective, such a suggestion can only be treated as fiction, specifically science fiction in this case. :)
There are data, even though weak. We do have our Universe to draw on, so we at least know that one can be created or come into existence. So it is a pretty big leap to just conclude that another one couldn't exist. We know that the Universe is expanding, couldn't one expand somewhere else and eventually "collide" with ours? no different than two galaxies colliding (just on a much smaller scale).

Im not sure if this is a hypothesis or merely a theory as I haven't looked into it all that much, just remember that they said you could measure the interference.

The above applies to the case of absolutely not data. What of the cases involving limited or incomplete data? This would be where the lion's share of the hard work is done in science. In these cases, science uses language to indicate the degree of confidence to which suggested explanations are held. They range from hypothesis, to theory, to established fact. Outside of this consists of guesses and speculation. The word Law is also used in science to reference established relationships between variables.
The cases or approach goes like this, from observation/idea -> hypothesis -> facts -> scientific theory.

Which is why I say, I don't know where the parallel universe is placed. Because we have the observation of the Universe and the idea that more could potentially exist, but whether there has been created a hypothesis, im not sure, as that requires that it is testable, but it's a long time ago I saw the documentary about it, so not sure if they have a way of testing it or if the testing was just an idea of how it could potentially be done, it is not a hill im going to die on :D.

Facts are obviously what is observed to be true. And finally, you have the scientific theory, which is the highest level of confidence in science, which explains why something is a fact. Which is very commonly getting misunderstood or misused. The theory of evolution is very often attacked by those disagreeing with it by saying that it is just a theory. Which is because they use the common understanding of the word theory. But evolution is a scientific theory, that they don't know or simply leave out.

This also highlights an important point, and that is that it doesn’t really matter what you or I or any individual speculates about the nature of reality as human beings are imperfect and fallible. Wouldn’t you agree?
Yes, agree with that. That is why we make use of the scientific method to reduce errors and biases so to speak.

I assumed we were treating this as a hypothetical example of something that is suggested in which there is no data to either establish or infer it. Any answer to a question regarding objective reality that relies on unfalsifiable premises cannot be considered anything other than fiction, or again, science fiction. :)
Again don't know where exactly the parallel universe lies. But are they unfalsifiable? Is it impossible to prove God exists for instance? at least God could provide the proof, if what he is said to be is true, then this should be no issue for him. But I agree with you, that until then or those who believe it to be true can provide proof, it is nothing but speculations that we have no reason to take seriously. Yet societies are highly influenced by this unjustified belief. It wouldn't be any different than humans starting to build a defense system against a threat from a parallel Universe because we believe that to be true, based on absolutely nothing.

Instead, we should be speaking to, and referencing what the collective scientific understanding is in regards to reality. In this regard, is it really jumping to conclusions to dismiss the notion of the “supernatural”, an unobservable, undetectable realm immune from verification? How does one declare such a realm, immune from verification, and then make specific claims about what it contains? Is this not ludicrous from a scientific perspective?
Because science ONLY deals with the natural world and nothing else. It has no methods designed for testing the supernatural claims, so they are excluded from it. The closest you can get is that they want to test people claiming these things to do it under controlled conditions, which when done they have failed time after time. For instance, they have tried testing if prayers work and found that it had no effect or worse effect for people that were sick because the person being prayed for feels guilt or something like that. They have also tried the put a note up top of a cabinet and see if those claiming to have near-death experiences could read it, yet they couldn't.

But in general, science doesn't deal with this, and the religious community has made no progress in even trying to demonstrate their claim or come up with valid methods for verifying the supernatural. The closest you get is using fallacies, such as trying to disprove evolution with intelligent design/creationism etc. Despite even if they could disprove evolution, it wouldn't make their own claims any more true.

The supernatural realm is not immune, but there is no one having a clue how you would even go about verifying it in the first place when there is no rules.

If the answer to a question lies beyond our perception, all that is left is to say we do not know.
Yes, and that is what science does all the time. But religion doesn't play by those rules, they claim truth without providing any evidence.

If you are putting the Big Bang and dark matter on the same footing as “the supernatural” and all the many “gods”, then we are clearly not on the same page.
Im not. I was merely saying that a lot of these ideas might at first have been considered extraordinary claims. Imagine back in the days when some reckless lunatic suggested that Earth was not the center of the Universe!! Back then this would have been seen as blasphemy and probably also as an extraordinary claim going against the established "knowledge".

So just because something to us seems extraordinary doesn't mean that it isn't true.

Do you really have the same level of confidence in “the supernatural” and all the many “gods” that science places in the Big Bang Theory?
No of course not. But that doesn't mean that I feel confident enough to conclude that they are wrong, especially if I can't demonstrate why it is so. I choose to leave it to them to convince me that they are right. And until they do, I will treat it as being false. That is why I am an atheist.

For any claim about reality to be taken seriously it would require scientific evaluation and subsequent acceptance with some degree of confidence assigned.
Yes and no, depending on what you mean. I would simply say that it required verifiable observation to be considered true. Whether that is measured or seen etc. For instance UFOs, we have "pictures" of them, yet they have not been verified as true, so we don't treat them as aliens at least. But they are still part of reality and unknown.

But isn't lies, misinformation, or even stuff that are made up part of reality as well? Again not talking about what is objectively true, which again I think you might be referring to.

Really? We can’t apply our 21st century understanding of reality, referencing broadly our knowledge of physics, biology with emphasis on evolution and behavioral sciences, sociology, anthropology, history, and Biblical Criticism to bear on claims made in religious texts? I find the argument of, “You weren’t there so you can’t say one way or another.”, to be a specious one.
Yes, we can do that on specific claims and we do. But that doesn't mean that we can then automatically dismiss all claims as a result.

If a history book contains an error or certain parts are "manipulated", we don't dismiss the whole book as being wrong either, there might be reasons why certain parts of it were written as it was. This is a well-known issue in ancient texts, which is why they use more sources.

Myths are theories?
No, they are ideas or guesses of what is real and what is not. I don't think I would compare myths to theories. I believe they are different things.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
For TB, to say it's only a "belief," I think is only her clever way to get out of having to prove that the claims of the Baha'i Faith are true. But, then again, I think that's true... It can't be proven. So, why believe it?
Her use of the word "proof" is dubious. Byuyty ity seyeymsy to mean factual and certain. If we believe an idea true that means we aren't certain. Ideally we would only believe in ideas that have some degree of evidence that suggests they might be true. That would mean no one believes in religions and their ideas. But as we know humans are not perfect reasoning beings, like Star Trek's Vulcans are. Most all humans are capable of making decisions and judgments irrationally, and they do, and they often get in trouble as a result.

The reasons humans believe in irrationa;, weird, or just plain untrue things is due to many reasons, but the basic reason is it rewards the brain. Brain scans show that beliefs will light up the reward area of the brain, and this means a bit of hormone gets secreted into the blood, and a bit of a euphoric high results. This is a sort of pavlov's dog sort of thing. We become highly habitual in our beliefs and behavior.
That's the problem. It is just a "belief"... a belief that everything the Baha'i Faith is true. But if it's true, then it's fact? But, since it can't be proven, it's not fact, yet it's true? Crazy stuff. I still think some Christians, some Baha'is and some others in the other religions believe their Scriptures are fact.
That is what our tribal minds do, they steer and bias towards the tribe and it's beliefs and rituals. This is how humans evolved. It helped humans survive because it helped cooperation and alliance. Today we are an over-populated species and survival isn't a priority. What seems to me as has changed in not physical survival, but survival of the ego. And since ego is tied to ideology and the tribe, the self is the tribe, and the individual will do acts that defies reason. Much of this occurs in the subconscious and is not deliberate, thoughtful action. The iryony is that many Christians push back on the challenges to the Adam and Eve myth where the question is wh didn't God create them to be moral and obedient, and the believers insist God didn't want them to be robots. et we see these believers acting robotically and without deliberate, thoughful action. They literally don't know why they believe, and why they work so hard to defend the belief.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That would be objectivity, but reality only exists when there is an observer, in this case, humans.
Well onl in the sense that "reality" is something we humans acknowledge for ourselves. This "man is the measure of all things" thinking is dubious to me. We are observers, and we rely on our senses, and instruments, to recognize what is real in the environment we inhabit. Jim sees an apple on the table, and a demon in the doorway. OK, we might not trust Jim all that much. Krishnamurti talked a lot about observing without judgment, and what he described is a skilled and disciplined mind. We humans have many bad cognitive habits, and the more rational humans has to navigate the claims and beliefs of those humans who claim experience and knowledge of things not known to exist. There was a case of a mother some years ago who killed her children, and she claimed God told her to do it. Did sociaty accept her explnation and send her on her way? No, she was considered a troubled person. Yet we hear many other humans claims experience with a God, and nothing negative is thought about their claim since it is so prevalent as a behavior. But then look at how Texas and it's evangelical leadership prevents women from getting crucial healthcare, even to the point where they use their power to prevent hospitals from giving the patients care, and that is acceptable to certain Christians. If a woman dies from complications due to lack of access to healthcare the government officials are immune from legal accountability.

So is this what you mean when you assert that "reality" is what we agree on? We can see the apple on the table, but some agree that a certain type of God exists even though it isn't anything demonstrable.
It becomes pointless if we weren't here? Is what you mean, things that are objectively true?
I don't think there is any more point to humans existing than rats. Of course we humans don't want to think ourselves as no more important as rats. Why? Ego. Aren't we supposedy to rise above ego? Well, it takes work. Belief is easier. Without discipline belief can run amok, see Gaza, see Jan 6.
Like gravity being objectively true, regardless of whether humans existed or not? If we didn't exist why would the reality of it matter?
You are conflating what is true about how things are to what things mean to humans. We humans are not all that syecial to the universe. y

Bear Wild

Believe it or not, there are atheists here that compare gods to Bigfoot, fairies, unicorns, leprechauns, Nessie, etc.

The heart of this problem is with knowing the numinous beings. There is absolutely no problem in comparing Faries or leprechauns to the gods and goddesses in Irish paganism. They are both real to someone who has come into a relationship with the Fae folk and deities of Ireland. After all the Island itself was named after the sovereignty goddess Eriu. The ancestral wisdom maintained the relationship between the people of the sidhe (a banshee is a woman from the sidhe) the otherworld where the fairy folk reside and the deities who inhabit these realms. The sons of Mil who came to Ireland could not have remained on the Island if their great poet/druid Amergin had not come into the relationship with the triple sovereignty goddess of Folda, Banda, and Eriu at that is why Amergin called the Island Erie after her. To someone who comes into relationship with the deities and the fairy folk then they are comparable, meaningful, and real. Yes real! Comparing bigfoot to their deities would make absolutely no sense at all.

The problem is for someone who has not taken the time and opened the mind to these deities and fairy folk will of course not understand why someone who has would ever imagine that they were any more real than the fictional character of Harry Potter. There are actual recordings of "real" people in Ireland describing what happened to them with the fairly folk. These old recordings are wonderful and enlightening. They experienced the fairy folk directly. They knew they are real.

So why in our industrialized rational world can we not see them or experience them. The problem is that we have created a mindset metaphysics than only things that can be measured shown through materialistic evidence is called "real" or truth. For others of us who love science and understand the evidence see that truth as only half of the truth of our world. The other half which is just as "real" to us and carries just as much truth to us is just as important. just as experientially real.

Nimos

Well onl in the sense that "reality" is something we humans acknowledge for ourselves. This "man is the measure of all things" thinking is dubious to me.
I didn't mean it that specifically.

It would be the same for everyone. Reality for a mouse/God/whatever only makes sense if it is the observer.

Jim sees an apple on the table, and a demon in the doorway. OK, we might not trust Jim all that much.
This is where you would have to differentiate in reality if Jim sees demons that can't be verified by others, this is part of his personal reality. But can't be said to be part of the objective reality such as the apple that can be verified by others.

There was a case of a mother some years ago who killed her children, and she claimed God told her to do it. Did sociaty accept her explnation and send her on her way? No, she was considered a troubled person. Yet we hear many other humans claims experience with a God, and nothing negative is thought about their claim since it is so prevalent as a behavior. But then look at how Texas and it's evangelical leadership prevents women from getting crucial healthcare, even to the point where they use their power to prevent hospitals from giving the patients care, and that is acceptable to certain Christians. If a woman dies from complications due to lack of access to healthcare the government officials are immune from legal accountability.
And this is where problems occur when you take something seriously that you shouldn't. Meaning that things that haven't been verified as true start to impact how we do things or behave. Not saying that religion automatically leads to mothers killing their children, but it does give someone with issues an excuse if they get convinced that God told them to and that it is a good thing. Likewise, religious institutes prevent crucial medical care.

But this is beside the point of how to make a reasonable argument and how to deal with claims.

So is this what you mean when you assert that "reality" is what we agree on? We can see the apple on the table, but some agree that a certain type of God exists even though it isn't anything demonstrable.
To me, we have to split reality into two. So we know what we are talking about.

One is the reality of life in which we find ourselves. This is stuff like your living conditions, health issues etc. These are personal things that affect your everyday life and what is part of your reality. You being blind, doesn't affect my reality as I don't have to deal with your issues.

The other reality is the objective reality, such as blindness exists, the apples exist etc. These are not affected by our opinions, like if an apple is sweet or if it is more yellow than green etc. Despite our opinions of the apple. To me, that is objective reality.

So God, given he is unverified is not part of the objective reality.

I don't think there is any more point to humans existing than rats.
Completely agree, hopefully, the above explained what I meant.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
they claim truth without providing any evidence.
Some religions, like the Baha'is and literal-believing Christians, do provide what they think is evidence. My 7th Day Adventist brother played a video for me that showed all kinds of evidence for a world-wide flood. But what do they do with the evidence against their beliefs? Like before the flood were there giants in the land? Did the flood happen about 4000 years ago? And so on.

We've been hearing all the Baha'i evidence from TB for a couple of years now. It sounds to me like... God is real, because messengers/manifestations of God are real, and they say God is real. But the manifestations didn't all say the same things about God. Some had many Gods and it's questionable if Buddha had any God in his message.
That is what our tribal minds do, they steer and bias towards the tribe and it's beliefs and rituals. This is how humans evolved. It helped humans survive because it helped cooperation and alliance.
Now this is where the Baha'is become important. The new tribe is all the people in the world. Their claim is that they have a message that can unite all of us. We'll all live in peace. We'll all have the same religious beliefs and obey the same God-given religious rules. No more injustice, no more war. How great would that be?

The only catch is... We have to believe what the Baha'i Faith says is true. So, we say "okay"... What's your proof that what your religion says is true? They can't do it.

I've been with Baha'is. I saw how their religion works. And, when applied, it's not perfect, because it still depends on imperfect people to make it work.

But that good old "tribal" mind gets them to think that what they have is working. When they get together, they reassure each other that they have the truth, and the Baha'i Faith will inevitably work and succeed. They keep telling themselves that and "know" in their hearts and minds it is true. And that's the thing... They believe it is fact.

Nimos

We've been hearing all the Baha'i evidence from TB for a couple of years now. It sounds to me like... God is real, because messengers/manifestations of God are real, and they say God is real.
It is a circular argument, but I honestly think all religious people tend to do this. Their starting point is after all a belief in God, which one differs.

But at least I think @Trailblazer is honest about saying that she can't prove it. And also acknowledge a lot of the issues with God and question potential issues.

If you listen to someone like Ray Comfort, who is a fundamentalist I assume, the insane amount of nonsense and unjustified statements this man can make in so few minutes is impressive. I don't think he has even considered questioning any of the things he accuses people of or whether these are even wrong by definition. I would love to have a chat with him :D

MikeF

Premium Member
That would be objectivity, but reality only exists when there is an observer, in this case, humans. It becomes pointless if we weren't here? Is what you mean, things that are objectively true?

Standard usage would define objectivity as the quality of a person being objective while reality would refer to the world or the state of things as they actually exist. Therefore objectivity only exists if there is an observer to be objective and reality would exist regardless.

There are data, even though weak. We do have our Universe to draw on, so we at least know that one can be created or come into existence. So it is a pretty big leap to just conclude that another one couldn't exist. We know that the Universe is expanding, couldn't one expand somewhere else and eventually "collide" with ours? no different than two galaxies colliding (just on a much smaller scale).

So here is the hard lesson. It is not about making a determination as to whether more than one Universe is possible, it is about acknowledging that there is insufficient information upon which to speculate such a thing. The leap would be taking such speculation seriously. It is fine to imagine, dream, speculate, concoct whatever we like, but can only be treated as such unless and until there is hard data to support them.

But I agree with you, that until then or those who believe it to be true can provide proof, it is nothing but speculations that we have no reason to take seriously. Yet societies are highly influenced by this unjustified belief. It wouldn't be any different than humans starting to build a defense system against a threat from a parallel Universe because we believe that to be true, based on absolutely nothing.

I agree. Acting on unjustified belief can have a wide range of consequences.

Because science ONLY deals with the natural world and nothing else. It has no methods designed for testing the supernatural claims, so they are excluded from it.

You continue to speak of the “supernatural” as if it were actually a thing. If it is undetectable by science, how are you or anyone else made aware of it and how do you know what properties it has, such as being undetectable by science?

By your definition, we could have considered the microscopic world part of the “supernatural world” before the invention of the microscope, as before this occurred “[science had] no methods designed for testing the [microscopic world], so they [were] excluded from it.”

Science, by the way, isn’t about test tubes and telescopes. Science, the project of scientific inquiry, is about acknowledging that it is human beings that are conducting any inquiry and pursuit of knowledge, human beings that are imperfect and fallible, and as a result, active and disciplined steps need to be taken to mitigate that fallibility to the greatest extent possible in order to minimize the impact of human fallibility on the investigative process. Science is not about *what* is being studied, it is about *how*.

Yes, and that is what science does all the time. But religion doesn't play by those rules, they claim truth without providing any evidence.

And therefore they can be dismissed. It is as simple as that.

Im not. I was merely saying that a lot of these ideas might at first have been considered extraordinary claims. Imagine back in the days when some reckless lunatic suggested that Earth was not the center of the Universe!! Back then this would have been seen as blasphemy and probably also as an extraordinary claim going against the established "knowledge".

Exactly! Even surmising that the earth was flat can be seen as reasonable from the limited perspective of a pre-modern individual who never traveled beyond their home region. Given the scale of the Earth, it is relatively flat for all intents and purposes within that limited perspective. So what is the lesson learned? Was it reasonable for our pre-modern ancestor to speculate the earth remained flat beyond the ocean’s horizon until the edge of the earth was reached, ocean water spilling off into the void, or would it have been more appropriate and correct to simply say they did not know the boundaries of earth and what lay beyond?

Claiming the “supernatural” inhabited by “supernatural entities” is no different, no less primitive in mindset than that of our pre-modern ancestors.

So just because something to us seems extraordinary doesn't mean that it isn't true.

And just because something can be imagined does not make it possible, like a flat Earth resting on the back of a giant tortoise. If the imaginings extend beyond our perspective and available data they can and should be treated as fiction. Remember, the heliocentric model of the solar system was based on actual data and was only extraordinary because it clashed dramatically with the false geocentric model held to be fact.

No of course not. But that doesn't mean that I feel confident enough to conclude that they are wrong, especially if I can't demonstrate why it is so. I choose to leave it to them to convince me that they are right. And until they do, I will treat it as being false. That is why I am an atheist.

Which is perhaps why I don’t consider myself an atheist. Denying the existence of such entities is putting the cart before the horse as it cannot be established that such entities are even *possible* in the real world. I see no value in self-identifying on the basis of the non-existence of any one particular class of fictional things out of the infinite set of non-existent things.

Yes and no, depending on what you mean. I would simply say that it required verifiable observation to be considered true. Whether that is measured or seen etc. For instance UFOs, we have "pictures" of them, yet they have not been verified as true, so we don't treat them as aliens at least. But they are still part of reality and unknown.

Of course there are documented hoaxes and fakes, but I agree there are observations that, for whatever reason, there was insufficient information available to make a determination. There are atmospheric and other conditions that can generate optical illusions.

What I find intriguing is what conclusion is drawn from a legitimate observation and how the conclusions will likely be very culturally specific. For example, what might the conclusion be for a wavering light in the night sky by a 16th century observer vs a 20th century one, assuming it was an actual yet unexplainable atmospheric phenomenon.

But isn't lies, misinformation, or even stuff that are made up part of reality as well? Again not talking about what is objectively true, which again I think you might be referring to.

Yes, human thoughts, as manifestations of our central nervous system, are part of reality. We can and should, however, establish a demarcation between those thoughts meant to correspond to reality, the real world, and those thoughts that do not. This is what the standard of falsifiability is meant to do.

No, they are ideas or guesses of what is real and what is not. I don't think I would compare myths to theories. I believe they are different things.

Excellent.

Nimos

Standard usage would define objectivity as the quality of a person being objective while reality would refer to the world or the state of things as they actually exist. Therefore objectivity only exists if there is an observer to be objective and reality would exist regardless.
I'm not 100% sure I understood your point, so sorry if I write some nonsense :D

Reality and objectivity are not the same or as such related. Objectivity is regarding how something is observed, just like subjectivity is. And reality as you say is about existence.

The very point of something being objective is that it is true regardless of an observer, you are referring to subjectivity.

My point is that reality is pointless without an observer because it only has meaning when you exist.

As I wrote earlier, reality has no meaning to an unborn child, it is not part of existence yet.

So here is the hard lesson. It is not about making a determination as to whether more than one Universe is possible, it is about acknowledging that there is insufficient information upon which to speculate such a thing. The leap would be taking such speculation seriously. It is fine to imagine, dream, speculate, concoct whatever we like, but can only be treated as such unless and until there is hard data to support them.
Exactly, im pretty sure that is what I have been saying all along.

You continue to speak of the “supernatural” as if it were actually a thing. If it is undetectable by science, how are you or anyone else made aware of it and how do you know what properties it has, such as being undetectable by science?
I don't know, no one knows, that is the whole issue. That is why science doesn't deal with it. If God can do anything, then we couldn't trust any experiments because maybe God interfered with it. So all supernatural explanations are left at the door when doing science.

Because we don't know or have methods to deal with something like that. In theory, the Universe could be 1 minute old and God simply made it seem like it was billions given the unlimited power he is said to have, how would we test for something like that?

The problem is not that science won't deal with it as such, it is simply that we have no clue how.

And therefore they can be dismissed. It is as simple as that.
Agree, at least one would assume so, because it makes perfect sense to not take something seriously if it hasn't been demonstrated to be true. Yet as someone else mentioned indirectly, is that these things have a huge impact on our laws, politics, and how people behave, so they ain't dismissed. But I completely agree with you that it ought to be as simple as that.

Was it reasonable for our pre-modern ancestor to speculate the earth remained flat beyond the ocean’s horizon until the edge of the earth was reached, ocean water spilling off into the void, or would it have been more appropriate and correct to simply say they did not know the boundaries of earth and what lay beyond?
Obviously, they should have said that they didn't know.

But that is not how a lot of humans work. Try to convince a religious person that the most logical answer to whether God exists or not is that we don't know. If they agree with you, they would be atheists :D

And just because something can be imagined does not make it possible, like a flat Earth resting on the back of a giant tortoise.
Exactly. But it also should automatically be dismissed because people find it silly. We should simply ignore it and let those making the claim provide proof for it. Exactly as we do in science or pretty much in everyday life constantly without even thinking about it.

Just think of a court case, sure, it is might be possible that the person murdered the victim, but that doesn't make it true, they have to demonstrate that they did it. And no one questions that, it sounds pretty fair and a sensible way to approach things.

Which is perhaps why I don’t consider myself an atheist.
You are not an atheist, I have to say that surprises me quite a lot. What do you consider yourself then?

What I find intriguing is what conclusion is drawn from a legitimate observation and how the conclusions will likely be very culturally specific. For example, what might the conclusion be for a wavering light in the night sky by a 16th century observer vs a 20th century one, assuming it was an actual yet unexplainable atmospheric phenomenon.
That is a good point, things change. Back in the day, God(s) made lightning etc. that was the logical explanation, today we have figured it out and no one claims those things anymore, but maybe people in 500 years will find some of our ideas funny. That is why we shouldn't just exclude ideas, as long as they are not taken seriously they do no harm.

MikeF

Premium Member
Reality and objectivity are not the same or as such related. Objectivity is regarding how something is observed, just like subjectivity is. And reality as you say is about existence.

Then I guess it's down to my misunderstanding your comment. I gave my definition of reality and your response was: "That would be objectivity, but reality only exists when there is an observer, in this case, humans." I took this to mean you considered my definition to be the definition of 'objectivity'.

I was confused and it appears I just added to the confusion. :)

My point is that reality is pointless without an observer because it only has meaning when you exist.

Despite that, the concept is important, and being clear about what we are talking about is important. Based on some of your later comments it seems that what I refer to as reality you are referring to as objective reality, which is fine and I consider synonymous.

Exactly, im pretty sure that is what I have been saying all along.

Except that you seem to consider imagined things that are unevidenced as universally possible. Here is one of your comments that I think illustrate this:
There is absolutely no way for you to conclude that there isn't something beyond our reality that defies all natural laws.​

While it is true that it is a logical fallacy that a proposition can't be declared false because it cannot be proven to be true, not being logically false in this regard in no way speaks to its possibility.

Those who hold unfalsifiable beliefs see this logical fallacy as some sort of safe haven that shields their unsupportable claims from criticism. They declare, as you do "You can't prove God/supernatural doesn't exist."

What I am saying is there is no need to disprove gods or the supernatural and both can be confidently considered fiction. Being beyond knowing automatically negates the claim. You seem to accept the religious assumptions that we live in a Universe where gods and supernatural realms are possible. This has not been demonstrated and therefore such assumptions should be rejected, in my view. For this and many other reasons, "gods" do not merit the status of within the realm of possibility.

I don't know, no one knows, that is the whole issue. That is why science doesn't deal with it. If God can do anything, then we couldn't trust any experiments because maybe God interfered with it. So all supernatural explanations are left at the door when doing science.

Because we don't know or have methods to deal with something like that. In theory, the Universe could be 1 minute old and God simply made it seem like it was billions given the unlimited power he is said to have, how would we test for something like that?

The problem is not that science won't deal with it as such, it is simply that we have no clue how.

But we *do* know. Science can address it and does. To say that there are aspects of reality that are beyond the reach of science is purely theistic or religious thinking. It is accepting without question the assertion that these fictions are possible.

As to your 1 minute old Universe, it can not be considered possible within the parameters of known reality. Such a proposition can only be valid in an abstract artificial construct of reality, a fictional alternate world. Such a thought experiment would require foundational assumptions that contradict our understanding of objective reality.

Again, just because we can imagine it does not make it possible.

Agree, at least one would assume so, because it makes perfect sense to not take something seriously if it hasn't been demonstrated to be true. Yet as someone else mentioned indirectly, is that these things have a huge impact on our laws, politics, and how people behave, so they ain't dismissed. But I completely agree with you that it ought to be as simple as that.

Might have been me that mentioned the impact of belief on society as a whole. It is a point I have introduced on several threads. :)

You are not an atheist, I have to say that surprises me quite a lot. What do you consider yourself then?

A guy with more common sense than some, and less common sense than others. :)

Others might classify me as an atheist, however I think the term is one born out of a Western religious paradigm and its use feeds the confirmation bias of believers in religious myth. Specifically arguing against "God" confirms in the theist that there is something there to talk about.

That is a good point, things change. Back in the day, God(s) made lightning etc. that was the logical explanation, today we have figured it out and no one claims those things anymore, but maybe people in 500 years will find some of our ideas funny. That is why we shouldn't just exclude ideas, as long as they are not taken seriously they do no harm.

Except that they are taken seriously.

Nimos

While it is true that it is a logical fallacy that a proposition can't be declared false because it cannot be proven to be true, not being logically false in this regard in no way speaks to its possibility.
That would be a logical fallacy to do that. This is basically what Intelligent design supporters often do, they work with the assumption that if they can shoot down evolution that somehow equals intelligent design being true.

But....
Those who hold unfalsifiable beliefs see this logical fallacy as some sort of safe haven that shields their unsupportable claims from criticism. They declare, as you do "You can't prove God/supernatural doesn't exist."
this doesn't however matter. That they use it as a shield is their problem, not everyone else. It only helps to demonstrate their ignorance. We can't "screw up" rationality because someone might misuse it.

What I am saying is there is no need to disprove gods or the supernatural and both can be confidently considered fiction.
I think you confuse things a bit :)

There is no need to disprove anything whether it is supernatural or not. People expecting that is also performing a fallacy :D

If I claim that aliens exist, it is not up to you to disprove me. It is up to me to prove what im saying is true.

This is absolutely crucial for what im saying and might explain why you feel that the supernatural can just be dismissed without any proof.

Being beyond knowing automatically negates the claim.
This follows from above, it is a fallacy to say this. The argument could just as well be used by a religious person to defend the supernatural.

"Humans are not able to understand it, it is the realm of God and the divine."

It simply doesn't work to conclude things like that.

You seem to accept the religious assumptions that we live in a Universe where gods and supernatural realms are possible.
It plays no role to me whether it is possible or not. It's exactly the same way I feel about Big Foot, I don't care as long as they haven't been demonstrated to be true. I'm not scared going to the woods thinking that one is going to get me, or that I will burn in hell for eternity.

This has not been demonstrated and therefore such assumptions should be rejected, in my view.
Again careful with your words :D

Yes, the assumptions/idea should be rejected/not taken seriously. But that doesn't mean that we then just conclude that they are impossible. That is a fallacy because that is also a claim, so you have the burden of proof.

For this and many other reasons, "gods" do not merit the status of within the realm of possibility.
Again a fallacy. Assuming I was religious, I would ask you, how do you know? what is your proof?

And they are in their perfect right to demand this from you.

But we *do* know. Science can address it and does. To say that there are aspects of reality that are beyond the reach of science is purely theistic or religious thinking. It is accepting without question the assertion that these fictions are possible.
It is not, what science would you apply to before the big bang? We have nothing but theories here. We have no clue what is going on in a black hole, as our known physical laws don't work here.

What is beauty? Why is grass green and not blue? Why is there something rather than nothing? the fine-tuning issue? Morality? Free will do we have it or don't we? The origin of the Universe?

There are lots of things science can't answer now and might never be able to.

As to your 1 minute old Universe, it can not be considered possible within the parameters of known reality.
No, but the supernatural is claimed to be beyond it, that is where the "super" comes from.

A guy with more common sense than some, and less common sense than others. :)

Others might classify me as an atheist, however I think the term is one born out of a Western religious paradigm and its use feeds the confirmation bias of believers in religious myth. Specifically arguing against "God" confirms in the theist that there is something there to talk about.
But there is a more specific word for those types of atheists:

Negative atheism, also called weak atheism and soft atheism, is any type of atheism where a person does not believe in the existence of any deities but does not necessarily explicitly assert that there are none. Positive atheism, also called strong atheism and hard atheism, is the form of atheism that additionally asserts that no deities exist.
Except that they are taken seriously.
Yes, and that is an issue, they shouldn't be.

Bear Wild

A key difference is that Bigfoot, Nessie, unicorns, etc. all relate to phenomena that people claim to have seen on Earth, whereas God is mostly a generalized assumption about a being which is, at the very least, "not of this earth." We have the capability of searching the Earth, so if evidence of Bigfoot exists on Earth, we should be able to find it. If we can't, then that may cast doubt on Bigfoot's existence.

In many cultures gods are a part of this earth and not supernatural. They are immanent and experiential.

Bear Wild

Since they all have the same evidence, then yes. All those beings are ontologically equivalent. There is no rational reason to believe in gods, and not in leprechauns. Or garden fairies. Or the other way round.

And if that sounds offending, I am sorry. Alas, perceived insult does not magically upgrades the ontological status of beings. The same with their purpose, if any. And it is relative. I have good friends in Iceland that are offended when I compare their belief in trolls and elves (many do believe in those in Iceland) with gods and such. They think I am ridiculing their belief in trolls, when I compare it with belief in God, on account of their alleged experience with trolls.

So, all those beliefs are rationally equivalent. And there is no logical fallacy whatsoever involved in this assessment.

Ciao

- viole

The experience of Landvættir land wights, elves, and trolls has a very long history in human experience. It is only in very recent history where humans no longer experience the spirits of the land. This occurred when humans walled themselves off from the greater than human world. So is the problem that the elves do not exist or that so many humans have become so detached from the world outside of their four walls that they no longer know how to experience them. I do not know why they would be offended when comparing elves and trolls to the gods and goddesses of the Norse culture since they are so intimately connected. The relationships between the gods and giants is one of direct interconnection. There are many things' humans experience that are not well defined in scientific reductionist logic. Experiencing the land wights is one of human experiences that does not lend itself to a reductionist model but that does not mean they do not exist.

ppp

The experience of Landvættir land wights, elves, and trolls has a very long history in human experience. It is only in very recent history where humans no longer experience the spirits of the land. This occurred when humans walled themselves off from the greater than human world. So is the problem that the elves do not exist or that so many humans have become so detached from the world outside of their four walls that they no longer know how to experience them. I do not know why they would be offended when comparing elves and trolls to the gods and goddesses of the Norse culture since they are so intimately connected. The relationships between the gods and giants is one of direct interconnection. There are many things' humans experience that are not well defined in scientific reductionist logic. Experiencing the land wights is one of human experiences that does not lend itself to a reductionist model but that does not mean they do not exist.
It doesn't mean that they do exist either. Which is the point. You can talk about "reductionism", but the question is do you have a method for differentiation the things that you wrongly think are real, from the things that you correctly think are real? Do you even care in any practical way?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You are comparing apples and oranges, which is a logical fallacy.

I disagree. I'm comparing people making claims with people making claims.

Condemning a person to death is not the same as a person deciding whether or not to believe in God.

Those are just the consequences of your "decision" to believe the claims.
Either you believe a claim is true or you don't. Yes, there are consequences of believing claims to be true or false moving forward, but does that actually matter to the standard used for believing claims?

Consider having an MRI scan. The doctor looking at the scan can then conclude if you have cancer or not. Concluding you have a cancer might be a death sentence or a prelude to a very harsh treatment. Does this consequence have any effect at all on the standard to believe the claim?
Is the consequence a reason to not believe the claim?

I say "no".
You seem to be saying "yes".

One is a matter of life and death and the other isn't. It is only a choice one makes.

Right, so you do say "yes" to that. The consequence of believing a claim is, for you at least, an additional factor which will determine the standard of evidence.
I say it doesn't. I say either the evidence is sufficient enough to believe a claim or it isn't. For me, that standard is the same for all claims and at best it only changes based on the nature of the claim in terms of precedents (which are sufficiently supported by evidence).

For example, someone claiming to have eaten pizza last night will have lower standard of evidence then someone claiming to have eaten a magical pizza last night.

The claims of the Messenger of God would not be enough to believe that God exists since anyone can make claims. It is the Person of the Messenger, what he did on His mission, and what he wrote that causes me to believe that He was speaking for God.

I cannot have eyewitness testimony but I can have testimony, the testimony of the Messenger of God who is the representative and mouthpiece of God.

To me they are evidence that the Messenger was speaking for God, although everyone won't see it that way.
To me this looks like you saying that the claims of a person aren't enough followed by saying that the claims of a person are enough.
What they write down and what they do (or rather: supposedly did...) is all part of the claims. It's just claims / anecdotes. There's nothing verifiable there. So it all falls under the same umbrella.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What is circular about that?

You said a religion is from god and superstition isn't.
When I ask how you can find out if it's mere superstition, you answer "when it isn't from god".

This is akin to "the bible is true because god says in the bible that it is" and "god exists because it says so in the bible".

The existence of superstition within the religion. For example, Jesus rising from the dead after three days.

superstition
1a
: a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation

b
: an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition

: a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

Definition of SUPERSTITION
Sounds like religious beliefs concerning supernatural stuff to me.
How is it not?

MikeF

Premium Member
That would be a logical fallacy to do that. This is basically what Intelligent design supporters often do, they work with the assumption that if they can shoot down evolution that somehow equals intelligent design being true.

I think you confuse things a bit :)

There is no need to disprove anything whether it is supernatural or not. People expecting that is also performing a fallacy :D

If I claim that aliens exist, it is not up to you to disprove me. It is up to me to prove what im saying is true.

This is absolutely crucial for what im saying and might explain why you feel that the supernatural can just be dismissed without any proof.

Why can't we do our own analysis? This would also go beyond religion. Should we not address false health cure claims, or do we let charlatans peddle their potions and let the buyer beware? Going back to religion, in our last exchange we both acknowledged that what one believes affects their societal choices, and hence has an impact on others in society. What folks believe can affect others. If religious claims are seriously presented, why can we not seriously evaluate them and draw some conclusions?

This follows from above, it is a fallacy to say this. The argument could just as well be used by a religious person to defend the supernatural.

"Humans are not able to understand it, it is the realm of God and the divine."

It simply doesn't work to conclude things like that.
Again careful with your words :D

Yes, the assumptions/idea should be rejected/not taken seriously. But that doesn't mean that we then just conclude that they are impossible. That is a fallacy because that is also a claim, so you have the burden of proof.

I agree. It is not an assertion of impossibility. Possibility does not even have to be considered because there is no information, no data upon which to make such an evaluation, and hence any claim.

Let me try and illustrate my position in another way and see if you agree with me. Let’s imagine a scenario similar to the game show “Let’s Make A Deal” in which there are three large curtains labeled from 1 to 3 that hide from view either some sort of prize or nothing at all. I am asked to say what is behind the three curtains and after I have made my claims, the curtains will be drawn back to reveal what really lay behind each curtain. I have no information whatsoever to make an informed claim about what lies behind any of the curtains. Let’s narrow the set of possibilities by saying the prizes are those that were common on the game show. If I guess there is a vacation to Hawaii behind curtain 1 but it is a bedroom set, but there is a vacation trip behind curtain 2 but it is to the Caribbean, what truth value can we assign my claim regarding curtain 1? What if I say there is a car behind curtain 3 and I specify make, model, year, color, and specify optional features as well. When the curtain is pulled back and the real prize is shown to be exactly as I described, down to the optional features, what truth value ca we assign my claiml? My position is that in both cases, the claims can only be considered fiction, for they were not based on any data whatsoever. Even the correct guess on the type of car was a fictional conception because I had no experience of the actual car with it’s unique VIN number and all other information that identify it specifically as an existent thing in reality. I did not guess *that* car. Once the car has been experienced, then any reference I make to it would not be a fiction, it would be referencing an actual *known* thing in reality.

In this way, the “supernatural” and any claimed entities that cannot be demonstrated, hidden behind an imagined curtain impenetrable to science, can confidently be considered fiction.