• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Wise to Marry Exclusively or Predominantly for Love?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it wise to marry exclusively or even predominantly for love? Why or why not?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What other motives are alternatives? Money? Not so good. Revenge? Hatred? Fear? Because Mommy and Daddy think you should marry the other person?

Thanda

Definitely not. Especially since most of us are so bad at differentiating love from infatuation (or even lust sometimes). When the honeymoon period is over, what really keeps the wheels of a marriage going are common goals and values (particularly good goals and values).

roger1440

I do stuff
Definitely not. Especially since most of us are so bad at differentiating love from infatuation (or even lust sometimes). When the honeymoon period is over, what really keeps the wheels of a marriage going are common goals and values (particularly good goals and values).
Aren't all goals good in the eyes of the beholder?
Here is a picture from the movie "Bonnie and Clyde"

Bonnie-and-Clyde-Main-Review.jpg

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When I was one and twenty
I heard a wise man say
"Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away"

"Give pearls away and rubies
But keep your fancy free"
But I was one and twenty
No use to talk to me

When I was one and twenty
I heard him say again
"The heart out of the bosom
Is never given in vain"

"'Tis payed with sighs a-plenty
And sold for endless rue"
And I am two and twenty
And O 'tis true, tis true!
-Housman

I don't think it is wise, simply because I don't think it is meant to be. The motivation is emotional, and may turn out well or may not. I can't think of any reason better than love to marry, and I can't think of any additional condition that would have to be filled other than love for me to at least consider marriage.

But then, I'm not a very wise person.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What most people call romantic love dries up after about two or so years. If your relationship isn't founded on much more than giddy feelings then it's no surprise when your relationship falls apart.

Now I'm feeling a little left out. I've had those giddy feelings for the same woman for almost 45 years. I don't see them going away any time soon, but I'll let you know if I hit that dry spell you speak of.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Now I'm feeling a little left out. I've had those giddy feelings for the same woman for almost 45 years. I don't see them going away any time soon, but I'll let you know if I hit that dry spell you speak of.
I'm speaking of infatuation, which is a well understood and ultimately short-lived neurochemical process. It's this infatuation that our culture conflates with love (an emotional bond created by long term attachment) and to frame relationships based on it is chasing an emotional illusion that does not last. She can never find "the one" because she's chasing a lie.

An effortless, purely emotional love as all the pop ballads and soap films would have it, simply does not exist. Not in the long term anyway.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'm speaking of infatuation, which is a well understood and ultimately short-lived neurochemical process. It's this infatuation that our culture conflates with love (an emotional bond created by long term attachment) and to frame relationships based on it is chasing an emotional illusion that does not last. She can never find "the one" because she's chasing a lie.

An effortless, purely emotional love as all the pop ballads and soap films would have it, simply does not exist. Not in the long term anyway.

I'll have to take your word for it. How long have you been in love, btw?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I'll have to take your word for it. How long have you been in love, btw?
No doubt you're attached to your wife. I'm not denying the existence of long term emotional attachment.

But I think you darn well know this. That's not the "love" being discussed here.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

I think it is unwise to get married for other reasons, other than love.

How about compatible life goals, values, talents, and interests, to name a few things?
I think those elements are very useful but don't suffice. An essential component is a very strong, spiritual and physical attraction.

Last edited:

Thanda

Aren't all goals good in the eyes of the beholder?
Here is a picture from the movie "Bonnie and Clyde"

Bonnie-and-Clyde-Main-Review.jpg

I said particularly, I did not say only. That said they were parted sooner than they would have liked as a result of having bad common goals right?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How about compatible life goals, values, talents, and interests, to name a few things?
My wife and I did not have much in common from that perspective. We do have a similar outlook about money and a great deal of tolerance for the other one doing something that interests the other person.