• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus a Mythical Character?

The simple fact is, the "jesus was historical folks" avoid the question of "what constitutes a historical Jesus" like the plague, because it demands details, of which they are woefully lacking.

You mean all the details in the Bible isn't enough for you? What more details do you need?

Do you need details proving the books were written in the time of the Apostles? We have that.

Do you need details proving that Jesus Christ existed? We have that (it's called Christianity, it didn't come out of nothing...why doesn't 1/3rd of the people in the world worship Al Gore or Hitler? Because they are not the Son of God.)

You say that there's little to no proof, yet, biblical scholarship, and archaeology have proven you otherwise.

Tristesse

You mean all the details in the Bible isn't enough for you? What more details do you need?

Do you need details proving the books were written in the time of the Apostles? We have that.

Do you need details proving that Jesus Christ existed? We have that (it's called Christianity, it didn't come out of nothing...why doesn't 1/3rd of the people in the world worship Al Gore or Hitler? Because they are not the Son of God.)

You say that there's little to no proof, yet, biblical scholarship, and archaeology have proven you otherwise.

Yes, and those people never claimed to be the son of god. Biblical scholarship can only prove historical jesus, it doesn't prove divine jesus.

Renji

Or did he actually walk the earth and do the things he claimed he did ?

And if he did, is there something we should be paying attention to?

Oh, Jesus take the wheel, take it from my hands, cause I can't do this on my own... (Jesus take the wheel by Carrie Underwood).. Well, it depends. If you have faith in Jesus and you believe in him, He is real to you. But if you don't, well, He is just a myth or just an ancient symbol to you. :)

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Which books?...do you mean the ones that were penned by "unnamed" writers?

Do you need details proving that Jesus Christ existed?

No you don't and that's what we're debating here.

There were a lot of men named Jesus but none fitting the biblical description.

We have that (it's called Christianity, it didn't come out of nothing...why doesn't 1/3rd of the people in the world worship Al Gore or Hitler? Because they are not the Son of God.)

So what....this proves nothing. Check the god/man histories before the biblical Jesus. There are a plethora of followers of religions..... By your logic Hinduism is a true religion and Muhammed was a prophet too. In this case size does not matter.

You say that there's little to no proof, yet, biblical

Ok...so using the bible to prove the claims of the bible is proof the bible is correct?..uhh can you say (Circular Reasoning).....:sarcastic

scholarship,

Still debatable...Some say yes and some say no. So far there was no contemporary of Jesus that wrote about him. Josephus, who wasn't a contemporary... at best, is hearsay and one of his Antiquities has been seriously tampered with.

archaeology have proven you otherwise.

Uhhh...No..!!

There is NO...archeological evidence for the biblical Jesus.....:areyoucra

Hinduism is being converted by Christianity, as is China, and Islam probably plays a role in the end times hence its supremacy. The religion of Rome, or Greece, equally powerful forces as the Hindu Empires, are all gone now. Gone to Christianity.

That didn't happen by invention of a mythical person with such radical and extraordinary claims.

Have you any reason to doubt that epistles and letters saying "I Paul say thus" to specific persons he was writing to...did not write those epistles or letters?

The claims of persons against Christ or the Bible are often more fantastical than the claims of the Bible and those persons never apply these claims against other historical persons, only against Christ.

Oberon

If there was an oral tradition why did Matthew and Luke rely on Mark's written gospel?

Why are the birth stories of Matthew and Luke so incredibly different if they were of anl oral tradition?

Why was Mark not aware of a birth story if it was an oral tradition?

Why did Matthew and Luke copy 62 identical sayings from a sayings gospel?

Why did Mark make use of ancient Hebrew scriptures?

I am still waiting for your citations from scholarship, or references from websites by experts (which you claim to have already referenced). I have already pointed out that your basic lack of knowledge in this area makes everything you say suspect. You don't know anything about how oral tradition works, or you wouldn't be asking the above.

First of all, it is debated whether or not the "sayings gospel" (Q) was written or oral, and if it was written it is clearly a written record of oral tradition. Second, Mark did not make use of "hebrew scriptures" in the way you state. I have already shown that your refereneces from that bogus website on how Mark is writing "allegory" on the OT are completely without merit (again, as long as you are admitting you haven't read a single book by a scholar on the topic, why not use a web page by one?).

Why is it that the two people consistently making the most radical claims for a "mythic Jesus" (logician and dogsgod) are also completely unable to cite references from any scholarship (biblical, classical, etc), but continue to rely on whatever websites google tells them will support their view?

Last edited:

dogsgod

I am still waiting for your citations from scholarship, or references from websites by experts (which you claim to have already referenced). I have already pointed out that your basic lack of knowledge in this area makes everything you say suspect. You don't know anything about how oral tradition works, or you wouldn't be asking the above.

First of all, it is debated whether or not the "sayings gospel" (Q) was written or oral, and if it was written it is clearly a written record of oral tradition. Second, Mark did not make use of "hebrew scriptures" in the way you state. I have already shown that your refereneces from that bogus website on how Mark is writing "allegory" on the OT are completely without merit (again, as long as you are admitting you haven't read a single book by a scholar on the topic, why not use a web page by one?).

Why is it that the two people consistently making the most radical claims for a "mythic Jesus" (logician and dogsgod) are also completely unable to cite references from any scholarship (biblical, classical, etc), but continue to rely on whatever websites google tells them will support their view?

So, you have no idea. If you can't answer the questions just say so. Why do I need to reference a scholar to ask questions? If it's debatable whether or not Q was oral or written then why don't the sayings come with a narrative? There is over 60 sayings that make up Q, and over a hundred that make up the Gospel of Thomas. Are you suggesting that people rattled off these lists to each other orally without any narrative? Really? You think Luke and Matthew could recite Q, practically word for word, identical with each other without copying from a sayings gospel? The only explanation if not from a written text, and it has been offered, is that their pens were guided by the hand of God to explain their similarities. Sure people would orally rattle off the odd saying to make their point, but were talking of a collection attributed to a Jesus. Think about it.

And why do I need to recite a scholar to ask you to simply explain how it was that Mark was not aware of a birth story if an oral tradition was floating around? And how do you explain that Matthew's birth story is entirely different than Luke's if there was an oral tradition floating around? If oral tradition, how come Matthew's and Luke's post resurrection stories are so different?

I suppose the following has nothing to do with Mark borrowing from Hebrew scriptures, nothing to do with a written tradition you say:

Mark 15:
24 And they crucified him, and divided his clothes among them, casting lots to decide what each should take.

Psalm 22:
18 they divide my clothes among themselves,
and for my clothing they cast lots.

The Bible speaks for itself, if you cannot first read the Bible and then go to scholars to see what those mortal men think themselves, you're very pathetic.

High Critics don't believe the Bible at all and have been made the fools in their attempts to discredit the Bible such as the "Jesus Seminar" where these so-called Scholars began to vote upon what they believed Jesus said and didn't say in the Bible.

It's nothing but revisionism, it's nothing but a person saying that they have more authority than the Bible, at least the Bible was written by people who were there, that's saying a bit more than these so called scholars who are writing their anti-Christ books 2,000 years after it happened.

dogsgod

The Bible speaks for itself, if you cannot first read the Bible and then go to scholars to see what those mortal men think themselves, you're very pathetic.

High Critics don't believe the Bible at all and have been made the fools in their attempts to discredit the Bible such as the "Jesus Seminar" where these so-called Scholars began to vote upon what they believed Jesus said and didn't say in the Bible.

It's nothing but revisionism, it's nothing but a person saying that they have more authority than the Bible, at least the Bible was written by people who were there, that's saying a bit more than these so called scholars who are writing their anti-Christ books 2,000 years after it happened.

Nobody is discrediting The Bible. It is what it is.

Oberon

Why do I need to reference a scholar to ask questions?
You need to reference a scholar in order for your points to be taken seriously. So far all you have done is provide links to bogus websites.

If it's debatable whether or not Q was oral or written then why don't the sayings come with a narrative?

Here again is evidence of your basic lack of knowledge. Oral traditions are often lacking narrative. In fact, the very fact that Q is composed of "sayings" make it oral in nature, and if it is a written text, it is a record of sayings.
There is over 60 sayings that make up Q, and over a hundred that make up the Gospel of Thomas. Are you suggesting that people rattled off these lists to each other orally without any narrative?

Absolutely. That's how oral tradition works, which you would know had you read anything on the topic. You are way too oriented in the 20th century. Teachings and parables were passed on independently of narrative in oral tradition.

One of the only contributions from form criticism was analysis of oral nature underlying Mark. Not only are many of the sayings/teachings/parables clearly translated from aramaic, the overall narrative and unity is artificially imposed in what are clearly independent orally transmitted pericopes.
Really? You think Luke and Matthew could recite Q, practically word for word, identical with each other without copying from a sayings gospel?

We have evidence for such verbatim transmission today (for example, illiterate arabs who are taught to recite the entire koran verbatim). However, having never studied the subject, I guess you wouldn't know.

The only explanation if not from a written text, and it has been offered

Again, you simply don't know enough to make any judgements.

And how do you explain that Matthew's birth story is entirely different than Luke's if there was an oral tradition floating around? If oral tradition, how come Matthew's and Luke's post resurrection stories are so different?

The fact that you even ask this again makes it clear you simply haven't read a single thing on the subject, because oral tradition, by its very nature, is subject to change. The level of change depends on the type of material being transmitted and the culture within it. The Jesus tradition took greater care transmitting sayings/teachings/etc than events.

I suppose the following has nothing to do with Mark borrowing from Hebrew scriptures, nothing to do with a written tradition you say:

Mark 15:
24 And they crucified him, and divided his clothes among them, casting lots to decide what each should take.

Psalm 22:

I did not say that the gospels never made use of scriptures. As Jews, after Jesus died his followers naturally searched through scriptures in an attempt to strengthen their particular view of Jesus. For this reason, there are several explicit and a few implicit references to scripture (apart from those references made by Jesus himself). The passion narrative is a pre-Markan oral text. It was given its shape before Mark, probably in the 40s. Along with the birth narratives (which are not as early) it is part of the gospels most likely to contain implicit references to scripture.

Dogsgod, you seem to be under the very baseless impression that an oral tradition of Jesus would have taken the form of some overall story which was transmitted as a whole from person to person. This is completely and totally wrong, so let me tell you how oral tradition (particularly the Jesus tradition) worked.

Jesus, living as he did in an oral culture, taught in a very oral mode. In other words, he used short pithy sayings, and memorable parables, in order to transmit his teachings. He probably repeated these over and over and with some variations. His disciples and followers, particularly the twelve, but also others who were close, would have learned these. It is even possible that particularly important events, such as a particular miracle/healing, would have been transformed into an oral text by Jesus' community of followers during his life (for a modern example of this type of process, see K. E. Bailey, "Informal Controlled Oral Tradition and the Synoptic Gospels" Asia Journal of Theology 5 1991).
In any case, after his death, those disciples who were most acquainted with his teachings were responsible for passing them on to new members of the Jesus sect. Remember that this is an oral culture, and the vast majority of people could neither read nor write. The teachings would have consisted of many sayings and parables which were units independent of one another. Certain parts of the gospels, like the passion narratives, were formed early by the Jesus sect, and retained overall their structure in Mark.

It is these seperate teachings/sayings/events that Paul, Papias, etc, describe as being "handed down." Mark took many of these teachings/sayings/events and strung them together into his gospel.

Last edited:

Oberon

I have read what they have to say. I set out to discern the historical from the mythical with the bias, or the assumption, that there is an historical Jesus. It didn't occur to me that Jesus would be based soley on a mythical character, but as it turns out, that's all we have to go on. I argued for an historical Jesus on other forums before, but I no longer do.

It doesn't matter to me either. It is what it is. I know what the arguments are for an historical Jesus. I've read many different views.

I think this is a very telling statement. It is exactly the same as what Freke and Gandy state in the beginning of their book (which may be the only book you have read on the subject, if you have even read that) and I believe you no more than they. You present yourself, as they did, as someone honestly setting out to find the truth, yet your research shows this is not the case. You haven't been able to cite a single work of scholarship by an expert historian who backs up your point, nor is there any indication from your posts (with all of the errors I have already pointed out) that you ever read any. Your "research" has consisted almost entirely of searching the web and finding "jesus is a myth" sites.

So I will ask again, what are these "many different views" you claim to have read? What scholarly publications did you read when you "set out to discern the historical from the mythical" ? What references can you provide to back up your view and your claims?

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Mark 15:

Psalm 22:
And gMat may well have been 'inspired' by Isaiah 7:14. Therefore? How is this at all relevant to the question of historicity?

dogsgod

And gMat may well have been 'inspired' by Isaiah 7:14. Therefore? How is this at all relevant to the question of historicity?

Almost every single scene makes use of metaphor and symbolism, as well as literary allusions to the Hebrew scriptures. It demonstrates that Mark did not write down a story that was floating around in oral tradition, but instead took lines from scripture to construct a new story. It was not an uncommon technique. We can see how Matthew and Luke relied on previous writings such as Mark and Q rather than oral tradition. A written tradition rather than an oral is not reason alone to accept the story as a mythology instead of an account of actual and real events, but it's one more piece that adds up.

Oberon

Almost every single scene makes use of metaphor and symbolism, as well as literary allusions to the Hebrew scriptures. It demonstrates that Mark did not write down a story that was floating around in oral tradition, but instead took lines from scripture to construct a new story. It was not an uncommon technique. We can see how Matthew and Luke relied on previous writings such as Mark and Q rather than oral tradition. A written tradition rather than an oral is not reason alone to accept the story as a mythology instead of an account of actual and real events, but it's one more piece that adds up.

This is just blatantly wrong. I have already demonstrated how poor your first comparison (with the fig tree) was. I would imagine that the bulk of your comparisons are the same, as they all come from the same terrible website.

What midrash(im) have you read, with which to compare the gospels?
And why do you continue to avoid my questions?

I will ask again, what are these "many different views" you claim to have read? What scholarly publications did you read when you "set out to discern the historical from the mythical" ? What references can you provide to back up your view and your claims?

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

Are we still arguing about the account of geneology of Luke vs Matthew? As stated before in Luke you have to take out the words "the son" before Heli to really understand. Heli was not a direct parent but par tof the line. Howeve rin Matthew Joseph was directly with Mary as the "father" in the geneology. Anyone arguing about that just isn't thinking with much reason...