• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is logic universal or personal?

Is Logic universal or personal?

• It is personal

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • It is universal

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Both equally

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Both but mostly personal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both but mostly universal

• Neither personal nor universal

• other/depends/unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Does logic depend on one's personal perspective or is it universal? Or could logic be mainly personal with some universal truths in it? or vice versa? Or is it neither personal nor universal? if so then what is it? Is it equally personal and universal?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Logic is as universal as arithmetic and mathematics. 2 + 3 = 5 is always true and 4 - 3 = 7 is always false no matter who says it, no matter who understands it, and no matter who doesn't understand it.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Logic is as universal as arithmetic and mathematics. 2 + 3 = 5 is always true and 4 - 3 = 7 is always false no matter who says it, no matter who understands it, and no matter who doesn't understand it.

Yet there are many instances where logic seems to be dependant on one's personal interpretation. Take..... erggh, I'm having a brain fart right now and can't remeber the guys name, but he postulated that one could either believe in God and lose nothing when he died(as he would either go to hevean or cease to exist) or not believe in God and risk losing everything(as he would either go to HELL or cease to exist). While this argument is not considered very "logical" today in this guy's mind and in the minds of many others at the time it seemed very logical.

blackout

Violet.
I think it is possible to be completely logical,
and yet still be completely wrong in assesment,
depending on the initial set of "givens" the "logic" was based(biased) upon.

"pure formulations" of "perfect universal logic",
also can reveal as many different (and even correct?) "conclusions" ,
as there are people with differing perspectives.
(which would be everyone)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yet there are many instances where logic seems to be dependant on one's personal interpretation. Take..... erggh, I'm having a brain fart right now and can't remeber the guys name, but he postulated that one could either believe in God and lose nothing when he died(as he would either go to hevean or cease to exist) or not believe in God and risk losing everything(as he would either go to HELL or cease to exist). While this argument is not considered very "logical" today in this guy's mind and in the minds of many others at the time it seemed very logical.

No doubt there are people who believe 2 + 3 = 4, but their belief doesn't make 2 + 3 = 4 a sound statement. Simply because Pascal believed his "wager" was sound, while others believed it wasn't sound, is no reason to assert that the soundness of his wager changes depending on what people believe about its soundness.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
No doubt there are people who believe 2 + 3 = 4, but their belief doesn't make 2 + 3 = 4 a sound statement. Simply because Pascal believed his "wager" was sound, while others believed it wasn't sound, is no reason to assert that the soundness of his wager changes depending on what people believe about its soundness.

But if that's the case then how do we determine if something is logical or not? And how do we know that it is truly logical by it's own merit and not simply because we consider it such?

Malach1

Logic is sustained by reality- and each man has his own reality and thus his own logic to explain his own reality

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But if that's the case then how do we determine if something is logical or not? And how do we know that it is truly logical by it's own merit and not simply because we consider it such?

Here's a simple bit of logic:

Premise #1: If p then q.
Premise #2: p.
Conclusion: Therefore, q.

Can you see how that form is logically valid?

blackout

Violet.
ok, so then the logic might be universal,
while the premise/conclusions are still personal.

I'm not sure I understand the question of the thread?
or have I answered it? (personally that is, not universally)

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
ok, so then the logic might be universal,
while the premise/conclusions are still personal.

I'm not sure I understand the question of the thread?
or have I answered it? (personally that is, not universally)

Let me put the question another way and maybe it will make more sense. If something is logical is it's logic dependant on whether or not someone thinks it is logical? That is would it still be logical even if no one saw it as such?

Does that make more sense?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It doesn't matter. The logic of the form remains regardless of whether the premises are true or false. That's logic.
I have to side with Dr. Phil on this one, as there is a difference between pure logic and fanciful supposition.

Ozzie

yes. a logic(al) equation.
true in form.
but if we disagree on the original premise?....
Well you have no way of stating it such that you prove logical inconsistency unless you use the language of logic.

Logic is an area I want to investigate knowing virtually nothing. It interests me how new ideas can be described through the language of logic. It seems to me ideas are universal once expressed in such a language.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I have to side with Dr. Phil on this one, as there is a difference between pure logic and fanciful supposition.

But how does one differentiate between the two? What basis do we have to determine if something is logical or not? Often the "fanciful supposer" will see his "supposings" as "pure logic" and the one who considers himself a "pure logician" will be seen as a "fanciful supposer". So how can you know if you are a "supposer" or a "logician"? Upon what basis do you draw your conclusions?

blackout

Violet.
I did take a level one logic class in college,
so I do realize there are logic "axioms" or "forumulas",
though I certainly no longer remember what they are.
Still, I think that having once gone through them thoughtfully,
has made me a better thinker in general.
Less likely to be thrown off by bizzarre and erronious "conclusions" and statements.

I also LOVE logic puzzles.
There is no other type of "word" puzzle kind of thing I like to do.
But logic puzzles are fun.
A kind of mathematical elimination of possibilities
arrived at by careful observation/analysis of given facts.
(though the facts are made up, for the sake of the puzzle)

Yes, I would say that logic equations, like mathematics equations,
certainly APPEAR to me, to be universal.

What you plug into a logic equation, however, is a whole nother subject.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I did take a level one logic class in college,
so I do realize there are logic "axioms" or "forumulas",
though I certainly no longer remember what they are.
Still, I think that having once gone through them thoughtfully,
has made me a better thinker in general.
Less likely to be thrown off by bizzarre and erronious "conclusions" and statements.

I also LOVE logic puzzles.
There is no other type of "word" puzzle kind of thing I like to do.
But logic puzzles are fun.
A kind of mathematical elimination of possibilities
arrived at by careful observation/analysis of given facts.
(though the facts are made up, for the sake of the puzzle)

Yes, I would say that logic equations, like mathematics equations,
certainly APPEAR to me, to be universal.

What you plug into a logic equation, however, is a whole nother subject.

But what makes those "axioms" or "formulas" logical? Why those and not some others? On what basis can we consider anything as "logical"?

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
have to agree with Phil and Paul here. Logic is universal as math is universal. to me it's the foundation of rational thought and debate.

btw, it is especially fun to browse the forums in search of logical fallacies.

and here is a resource for constructing a logical argument

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
have to agree with Phil and Paul here. Logic is universal as math is universal. to me it's the foundation of rational thought and debate.

btw, it is especially fun to browse the forums in search of logical fallacies.

But what basis does one have to call something logical if it is universal? How can one determine that something is truly logical and not simply assumption on their own part(assuming logic is universal)?