• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is logic universal or personal?

Is Logic universal or personal?

• It is personal

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • It is universal

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Both equally

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Both but mostly personal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both but mostly universal

• Neither personal nor universal

• other/depends/unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
But if that's the case then how do we determine if something is logical or not? And how do we know that it is truly logical by it's own merit and not simply because we consider it such?

I learned my lesson last time I answered this question...

If someone is asking, it won't do any good to explain the answer.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
But what basis does one have to call something logical if it is universal? How can one determine that something is truly logical and not simply assumption on their own part(assuming logic is universal)?

as with math, by studying the principles of logic and learning how to apply them:

As a formal science, logic investigates and classifies the structure of statements and arguments, both through the study of formal systems of inference and through the study of arguments in natural language. The field of logic ranges from core topics such as the study of fallacies and paradoxes, to specialized analysis of reasoning using probability and to arguments involving causality. Logic is also commonly used today in argumentation theory.
... maybe you are confusing logic with truth?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Let me put the question another way and maybe it will make more sense. If something is logical is it's logic dependant on whether or not someone thinks it is logical? That is would it still be logical even if no one saw it as such?

Does that make more sense?

*bites tongue.... forces self to resist answering*

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
as with math, by studying the principles of logic and learning how to apply them:
As a formal science, logic investigates and classifies the structure of statements and arguments, both through the study of formal systems of inference and through the study of arguments in natural language. The field of logic ranges from core topics such as the study of fallacies and paradoxes, to specialized analysis of reasoning using probability and to arguments involving causality. Logic is also commonly used today in argumentation theory.
... maybe you are confusing logic with truth?

:slap: you know what I think I am now that I think about it. Silly me:cover:. K, I think I'll start another thread about truth. But I'll leave this one in case anyone wants to debate here about Logic anyway. Thanks for the clarification.