• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is love merely an electrochemical process in the brain ?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I think the answer might depend on what kind of love one is looking at. That little word refers to many things. For the most part I believe love can in theory be described as brain processes, but there might be a kind of love that possibly could not be described as such. I don't know.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
I reacon it is electrochemical processES in the brain. As personal experiences go, thats what everything boils down to in the end. What it entails exactly, is another thing. Prob a very complicated balance of sensory data stimulating association pathways in your brain, activating pleasure centres, and augmented by various chemicals like pheromones.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I dont think pheromones or electro chemicals is all it is..

There are different kinds of love and I believe different stages of love too..

I think once you put your love into someone and especially if you recieve it in return you do form a bond.

Heck I formed a bond with a leapord ghecko..LOL>>I think because I "cared" for her ...not sure if the "feeling" was mutual though..

Blessings

Dallas

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Hypothetical situation where u posses no senses, i would imagine it to be impossible to fall in love. Thus the creation of love depends on the senses, and their electochemical signals.

The interpretation of these signals is where the mystery lies, just the same way we can interperate light at a specific wavelength as having a subjective charecteristic of 'colour'.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Hypothetical situation where u posses no senses, i would imagine it to be impossible to fall in love. Thus the creation of love depends on the senses, and their electochemical signals.
What about people who fall in love through chatting online? Their senses are barely involved, it's pure communication.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The scientific explanation of love does not in any way devalue it. The fact that it's brain chemicals doesn't make it any less special.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
What about people who fall in love through chatting online? Their senses are barely involved, it's pure communication.

And before the internet or telephone what about pen pals?

Were their pheremones on the paper?..Maybe it was in the saliva on the back of the stamp or something.

Blessings

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The scientific explanation of love does not in any way devalue it. The fact that it's brain chemicals doesn't make it any less special.

I dont think so either and the brain is definately a huge component..But I think there is something else involved.

I mean even with the written word your brain reacts..At least mine does..

But I dont think its all about a mutual back and forth pherermone exchange.

Blessings

Dallas

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses

Well to be fair their senses are being used. Sight to read for example. Plus their uses of their senses in the rest of their lives condition them in a way which may make them more likely to fall for whoever is in question.

Without your senses you have no contact to the outside world.

many of these stories say they met online for example and then they met in person and stayed together. But of course there are loads of examples where this happened and they discovered they wernt right for each other in person. All situations vary and thus pan out differently, but in all of them ur relying on ur senses.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Only so far as eyesight is needed to read the words. It's not comparable to gazing into one another's eyes and subconsciously noting pupilary reaction, for instance.

well id say it is comparable as far as the fact both use the same sensory organ. Existance of various levels of interpretation concious or subconcious is arbitrary.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
well id say it is comparable as far as the fact both use the same sensory organ.
You're picking nits. :)

What I'm getting at is that such relationships don't involve all the subconscious physical communication that tends to trigger the neurochemical reactions that we're discussing.

Existance of various levels of interpretation concious or subconcious is arbitrary.
I don't understand. How is the existence of a thing arbitrary?

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
You're picking nits. :)

What I'm getting at is that such relationships don't involve all the subconscious physical communication that tends to trigger the neurochemical reactions that we're discussing.

Of course ur limited in such a relationship as a cyber one in comparison to a 'real meet' one. Thats prob why there is massivly less examples of love over the internet. Its all in the stats.

I don't understand. How is the existence of a thing arbitrary?

Sorry, arbitrary to the debate about love being guided by the senses. Of course its not an arbitrary matter with regards to what love is.