• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is love merely an electrochemical process in the brain ?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I disagree. I'd say they're the product of our intellect.
Which in turn is a product of our senses.
Our intellect meaning our ability to create and manipulate abstract symbolisms.

Without something to sense, we cannot create words. What would they symbolize?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Of course ur limited in such a relationship as a cyber one in comparison to a 'real meet' one. Thats prob why there is massivly less examples of love over the internet. Its all in the stats.
And yet, it happens.

Sorry, arbitrary to the debate about love being guided by the senses. Of course its not an arbitrary matter with regards to what love is.
I still don't understand your point. :sorry1: Try rephrasing completely, please.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Which in turn is a product of our senses.
Our intellect meaning our ability to create and manipulate abstract symbolisms.

Without something to sense, we cannot create words. What would they symbolize?
A fair point, but you're using "intellect" in a different way than I. I meant our capacity for reason. Now, you could make a similar argument against that, but I'd disagree.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
A fair point, but you're using "intellect" in a different way than I. I meant our capacity for reason. Now, you could make a similar argument against that, but I'd disagree.
An impasse I suppose then, since neither of us can prove our points.

Just thing though, how can we reason without abstractions?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Honey...I dont EVEN love you(or like you for that matter) but I sniffed out those pherermones and my brain TRICKED ME!

Blessings

Dallas

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
An impasse I suppose then, since neither of us can prove our points.
So it seems.

Just thing though, how can we reason without abstractions?
We're not quite on the same page. Abstractions are the tools we use to reason. Intellect is the capacity itself (at least, that's how I'm using it). If we didn't use abstractions, we'd have a different tool.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
And yet, it happens.

yeah it does cos its still possible, just more unlikely due to the limited communication methods. (be it concious or otherwise)

I still don't understand your point. :sorry1: Try rephrasing completely, please.

I was just concentrating on my hypothetical point that i dont think u could fall in love without ur senses. both ur examples used eyesight (literal reading and retina reading), so a sense is being used, but what we do with the information afterwards in our brains is nothing to do with the argument about the senses being used in the 1st place.

Thats it, if ur still confused or on a different wavelength to me nm, its not tht important anyways :p

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
yeah it does cos its still possible, just more unlikely due to the limited communication methods. (be it concious or otherwise)

I was just concentrating on my hypothetical point that i dont think u could fall in love without ur senses. both ur examples used eyesight (literal reading and retina reading), so a sense is being used, but what we do with the information afterwards in our brains is nothing to do with the argument about the senses being used in the 1st place.

Thats it, if ur still confused or on a different wavelength to me nm, its not tht important anyways :p
No, I've got you now. Thanks.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
both ur examples used eyesight (literal reading and retina reading), so a sense is being used,

Yes...her handwriting was SO beautiful...I mean she cursived like I never saw before.. :cloud9:

And...the things she said..made my brain go...BOING!... I cant WAIT to sniff her pheremones... :rainbow1:

Blessings

Dallas

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
nah its not, just harmless lingo i have with my firends. Have never actually checked whether its a word or what it properly means lol

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
nah its not, just harmless lingo i have with my firends. Have never actually checked whether its a word or what it properly means lol

You ...use words you know not the meaning.. :confused:

Wow..if you dont know the meaning how can I use my senses to determine anything by what I read???..

OH just my retna and optic nerve get stimulated..

Understand rubberband.. :)
Blessings

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Wiki, mentalism

Mentalism is an ancient performing art in which its practitioners, known as mentalists, use mental acuity, principles of stage magic, hypnosis and/or suggestion to present the illusion of mind reading, psychokinesis, precognition, clairvoyance or mind control.

WOW...

I never knew I was that talented...

How about that..I learned something about myself today..Im on stage performing illusions...YAY!!

Always wished I could be a magician.. :shout

I must not be to good though or no one would even know Im an mentalist..(Im good enough in a sense I didnt even know that I was myself if that counts)..I tricked my OWN self! LOL!

Blessings

Dallas

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
lol an ancient performing art. Ah its just one of the handful of self defined words i use in banter hehe