• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mormonism racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zsr1973

This question is posed to any Mormon who would like to answer. According to the Mormon church, how did Black people become brown skinned, have wooly hair, and thick lips? This subject came up in another thread and Mormons were angry that it was off topic, so here is the forum for that question. Please reveal the truth to us.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Zsr1973 said:
This question is posed to any Mormon who would like to answer. According to the Mormon church, how did Black people become brown skinned, have wooly hair, and thick lips? This subject came up in another thread and Mormons were angry that it was off topic, so here is the forum for that question. Please reveal the truth to us.
Angry that it was off-topic? No, just a mere bit irrated that people like to take threads off-topic.

How did black people become brown skinned? Like science says it happened, there is no offical Church doctrine on the color of their skin. Simple as that.

Zsr1973

beckysoup61 said:
Angry that it was off-topic? No, just a mere bit irrated that people like to take threads off-topic.

How did black people become brown skinned? Like science says it happened, there is no offical Church doctrine on the color of their skin. Simple as that.

Like science says it happened? Science says no God was involved in creation or forming of our world or solar system at any level. From your response I must assume that's what you as a Mormon believes. So if you're telling me that the Book of Mormon says nothing about skin color then we can end this debate. Is that what you're saying?

Ody

Zsr1973 said:
Science says no God was involved in creation or forming of our world or solar system at any level.

*sigh* :sad: Science cannot prove or disprove the divine, nor is it trying to.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Zsr1973 said:
Like science says it happened? Science says no God was involved in creation or forming of our world or solar system at any level. From your response I must assume that's what you as a Mormon believes. So if you're telling me that the Book of Mormon says nothing about skin color then we can end this debate. Is that what you're saying?

Yep. As far as I am concerened if you try to take a verse in the BOM to try to prove your point, you are probably interpreting it wrong.

Nope, I believe God was involved in the creation, God is in everything, religion, science, geography. God is everywhere.

kai

ragamuffin
Zsr1973 said:

sore subject

Zsr1973

beckysoup61 said:
What Alan said.

Alright. You have done everything but answer the question. Why couldn't you just say that Mormons prefer not to discuss that aspect of their doctrine. I would have respected that.

I'm not Mormon, so my interpretation of the BOM doesn't matter. If you are the Mormon here, then I am asking you to reveal the truth to us of what it says. Why don't we just drop the subject then.

Zsr1973

AlanGurvey said:
*sigh* :sad: Science cannot prove or disprove the divine, nor is it trying to.

I understand. My quote didn't discuss what science proves, it only discussed what sciences says since Becky was hiding behind science and avoiding the question.

By the way, it was Becky who asked me to open this thread. We could have debated or even discussed it in private messages but this is what she asked me to do.

kai

ragamuffin
Zsr1973 said:
Why? Is it because Mormons will get spanked, or because no one can agree? We can continue avoiding the racial questions altogether then.
i am not a mormon i have tried to find an answer to this question myself there are a few similar threads try a search lots of luck

Bishka

Veteran Member
Zsr1973 said:
Alright. You have done everything but answer the question. Why couldn't you just say that Mormons prefer not to discuss that aspect of their doctrine. I would have respected that.

I'm not Mormon, so my interpretation of the BOM doesn't matter. If you are the Mormon here, then I am asking you to reveal the truth to us of what it says. Why don't we just drop the subject then.
'

I answered it, but you chose not to accept that answer.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Zsr1973 said:
I understand. My quote didn't discuss what science proves, it only discussed what sciences says since Becky was hiding behind science and avoiding the question.

By the way, it was Becky who asked me to open this thread. We could have debated or even discussed it in private messages but this is what she asked me to do.

Actually, technically I did not. I said if you wanted to discuss this, you could, I never requested a thread to be opened, I only said if you wanted to discuss it we could.

And we have, you just don't accept the answers. If I told you that we believed that little green men lived on the moon you would probably accept that more then what I gave you.

We do discuss it, there is no official doctrine on why Blacks have a different color of skin, get used to it. We don't have all the answer that 'you' want.

*sigh* The thead that was posted does have much good in it, and the questions are very well answered by the LDS community on RF.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Zsr1973 said:
Why? Is it because Mormons will get spanked, or because no one can agree? We can continue avoiding the racial questions altogether then.

Sore subject? Because, there has been much talk on it and people tend to assume the worst because of what our falliable leaders have said and done. Not doctrine, but mere men.

kai

ragamuffin
beckysoup61 said:
Sore subject? Because, there has been much talk on it and people tend to assume the worst because of what our falliable leaders have said and done. Not doctrine, but mere men.
There has been much talk on it i can see that now ,but i am afraid you may have to answer this question for a long time , it will keep coming up, and it may tax your patience. having read some of your threads i can see you are a nice person and well respected, i know that people are a victim of their own times so that what is thought and accepted in the past is not the case now.

Bishka

Veteran Member
kai said:
There has been much talk on it i can see that now ,but i am afraid you may have to answer this question for a long time , it will keep coming up, and it may tax your patience. having read some of your threads i can see you are a nice person and well respected, i know that people are a victim of their own times so that what is thought and accepted in the past is not the case now.

Thanks Kai. I appreciate it. It's annoying when the same question is asked over and over again, when we have given the same answer over and over again.

That's life I guess. I appreciate you calling me nice, I try, but sometimes things can get frustrating.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't like the question. Asking "Is Mormonism racist?" is too broad.

If Mormonism is (by definition) racist, then all Mormons are racist. That's obviously not true. So I'd have to say, No, Mormonism is not racist. But I know what issues you're trying to address, and I don't think you'll be satisfied with that answer.

One of my many objections to Christianity is that almost every Christian denomination has institutionalized homophobia/heterosexism. That means that most Christians voluntarily belong to organizations with homophobic and heterosexist teachings and policies, and therefore I don't think it's far off to say that most Christians consider homophobia and heterosexism valid positions. However, it doesn't mean that every Christian is a homophobe or heterosexist, or that Christianity is by definition homophobic or heterosexist.

It might make more sense to ask:

1) Does the Mormon Church have a history of racist teachings and policies? Yes. That's true of many white-majority U.S. Protestant denominations, and even of some that aren't white-majority.

2) Does the Mormon Church presently have racist teachings and policies?
Not that I know of, but I guess it's open to discussion.

3) Was Joseph Smith a racist? No comment.

4) Was Brigham Young a racist?
No comment.

But the question as phrased makes it impossible to discuss the issue of Mormon racism without painting every Mormon as a racist, and I don't think people of good will are going to be too eager to do that.

Fluffy

A fool

When you ask the question "Is Mormonism racist?" what are you actually referring to? The God that the Mormons believe in? The Mormons themselves? Their doctrine?

It should be evident from the many tolerant and open minded posts from our LDS members that they are not racist.

Some Mormon leaders have made racist statements. To judge the whole religion based on their views would be to judge the whole of Christianity according to Pat Robertson. These comments never became doctrine and so are evidently not amongst a modern Mormon's beliefs.

I don't understand where the confusion is. Perhaps you have been exposed to a large number of racist mormons? If so please understand that there are at least a number of LDS here on RF who are not racist and so it is no good getting angry at them for the faults of others who decide to be part of the same religion.

Nehustan

Zsr1973 said:

I beg to differ, Science says that the only factors that can contribute to a scientific theory must be observable, reproduceable, and falsifiable. As God, as premised, does not fall into any of these categories, science cannot factor in his existence to scientific theory, leaving it to the realm of philosophy, theology, and thus I guess metaphysics. Science does not say that there is no God, it merely states that there is no proof for God. Evolutionary theory, if not the cosmological beginning of the universe, does not require the presence of God to be factored in for it to adhere to the criteria for being scientific theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.