• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mormonism racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I'm not Mormon, but it seems that a few leaders of the past had racist views.. As did most religions. As did most Americans. Just do some research on the churches that were against freeing of slaves back in the mid 1800's.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
beckysoup61 said:
Sore subject? Because, there has been much talk on it and people tend to assume the worst because of what our falliable leaders have said and done. Not doctrine, but mere men.
Are not the leaders of the mormon church considered prophets? And are not the prophets' teachings (especially the founder of your church) considered to be revelations from God? If this is the case, how can you say that the words of the early racist leaders are the words of "mere men" in this one example, yet the rest of the teachings and scriptural interpretations of the mormon church are not of "mere men" but are revelations from God Himself to your prophet leaders?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I was hoping this was a misunderstanding; certainly I am not into 'bashing' Religions. But a search revealed http://www.reformmormonism.org/racism-apology.htm

A Public Apology
[SIZE=-1]Mormonism's turbulent history with racism has been well documented, despite some difficulty in pinning down mandates and revelations relative to the issue. Because Reform Mormonism shares a common history with LDS and other forms of Mormonism until its formation in 2002, Reform Mormons must come to terms with this history and be prepared to extend an explanation for it.

It has been 25 years since the LDS church changed its policy of denying priesthood admission to blacks (they still deny it to gays and women.) Yet much of the LDS church remains unresolved on the history of this issue as well as its implications for the church. This state of non-resolution has been compounded by the arrival of better history of the issue within the church, clearly demonstrating powerful conflicts in doctrine and application of doctrine, but no explanation of these conflicts, and worse, no acknowledgement of error or attempt to repair decades of damage. This lack of resolution remains one of the reasons why the modern LDS church does not attract and retain new North American black members at a rate comparable to its attraction of other races.
[/SIZE]

So, it would appear that historically, the Church was, but they are doing their best to be seen to clean up their act, and a public apology takes guts. My hat off to them.:)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
The Reform Mormons are the same as the Church of the LDS? I think that's a different group Michel. Althought the policy has changed I'm not sure if an apology from the LDS was received. On the other side of the coin name one other Christian group allied with slavery/racist tendencies in the past which HAS apologised? They will be few and far between.

To be honest I'd much rather see an apology actioned than vocalised, but if people prefer to hear it than see it done :shrug:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ChrisP said:
The Reform Mormons are the same as the Church of the LDS? I think that's a different group Michel

Ah, sorry; excuse my ignorance. Since I can't find anything positive to say, I'm keeping out of here.:eek:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It would be clearly wrong for us to emulate the God of the Bible and blame the current generation for the sins of its ancestors, but Snowbear makes the correct obsevation. Early Mormon leadership appears to have been pervasively racist, suggesting that only a God interested in bludgeoning his true believers would select such blunt instruments. To believe, and believe in, such a leadership is truly and act of faith.

Nehustan

But I guess Chris, that Michel is right. Once one admits something the implication is that it will be actioned, and it's very hard to action something that one is in denial about. While I agree that thought (word) should not replace action, it invariably will preceed it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jayhawker Soule said:
It would be clearly wrong for us to emulate the God of the Bible and blame the current generation for the sins of its ancestors, but Snowbear makes the correct obsevation. Early Mormon leadership appears to have been pervasively racist, suggesting that only a God interested in bludgeoning his true believers would select such blunt instruments. To believe, and believe in, such a leadership is truly and act of faith.

........"Early Mormon leadership".........

That's the point; I think there are many skeletons in various closets. to pick one one wrong and dwell on it is neither productive nor conducive to 'good relations'.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
That's the point; I think there are many skeletons in various closets. to pick one one wrong ...
No ... rather, it's uncomfortable to you and others. It would be interesting, Michel, to see if you could find any other Christian denomination that so consciously, thoroughly, and persistently grounded its bigotry in scripture. Early Mormon leadership exemplifies racism much as early Catholic leadership exemplifies antisemitism.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
michel said:
That's the point; I think there are many skeletons in various closets. to pick one one wrong and dwell on it is neither productive nor conducive to 'good relations'.
I'm not dwelling on anything..... I'm using the oportunity of the original topic of this thread to ask a question of the mormons. It's actually something I've wondered about for quite some time... But since my communication skills pretty much suck, I have not been able to ask the question without coming across as condemning the mormon religion... which is not my intention at all, despite what some may think.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Jayhawker Soule said:
No ... rather, it's uncomfortable to you and others. It would be interesting, Michel, to see if you could find any other Christian denomination that so consciously, thoroughly, and persistently grounded its bigotry in scripture. Early Mormon leadership exemplifies racism much as early Catholic leadership exemplifies antisemitism.

Antisemitism or anti-Judaism? I don't recall any early Catholic leaders opposing Jews for being ethnically Jewish only for their religious beliefs. Or don't you think there is a difference? Surely all religions have criticised other religions beliefs at one time or another and all religions have had their fair share of bad apples that have taken things way too far into actions that are destructive. I'd agree with Michel. You shouldn't attack a religion based on the past mistakes of its adherents, be they Catholic, Mormon, Jewish or anything else.

James

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
JamesThePersian said:
Antisemitism or anti-Judaism? I don't recall any early Catholic leaders opposing Jews for being ethnically Jewish only for their religious beliefs.
How very discerning. I'm sure the distinction was foremost in the minds of those slaughtered in pogroms as the crowd screamed "Christ killer!", or those subjected to forced conversion. Thanks for sharing. :rolleyes:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Snowbear said:
I'm not dwelling on anything..... I'm using the oportunity of the original topic of this thread to ask a question of the mormons. It's actually something I've wondered about for quite some time... But since my communication skills pretty much suck, I have not been able to ask the question without coming across as condemning the mormon religion... which is not my intention at all, despite what some may think.

That's the danger though (of it being interpreted as an 'attack'); I must admit to having started (innocently) an awkward thread or two in my time. I just steer clear of as much confrontation as I can (except when replying to others).

And, Jay, I think James answered my point pretty clearly; that is how I meant what I said.

If we all focus on historical 'deliberate 'nasty deeds','misunderstandings' (whatever) going throughout History, I dare say so one nation would ever talk to another.

However painful, the past is the past; what counts is the 'here and now'. This is where I find the Buddhist dictate of 'letting go of the past' so positive. It may be difficult to put into practice, especially if the person doing it is one of the abused, but raking history permanently to blacken a relationship serves no productive purpose.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
michel said:
However painful, the past is the past; what counts is the 'here and now'. This is where I find the Buddhist dictate of 'letting go of the past' so positive. It may be difficult to put into practice, especially if the person doing it is one of the abused, but raking history permanently to blacken a relationship serves no productive purpose.
Well, if the mormons feel abused by my question, I have no doubt they'll let me know.
If instead they take it as the sincere question it was intended to be, and if they care to answer, I'll be grateful to actually read their perspective.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Jayhawker Soule said:
How very discerning. I'm sure the distinction was foremost in the minds of those slaughtered in pogroms as the crowd screamed "Christ killer!", or those subjected to forced conversion. Thanks for sharing. :rolleyes:

Did I not say that all religions had their share of such people? Criticising a religion for the heinous acts of some of its adherents is simply intellectually indefensible, which I'm pretty sure you appreciate. And pogroms? There were early Catholic leaders in pogroms? Whatever happened later, even if justified by twisting the meaning of those who argued against Judaism in earlier centuries, is the fault of those who perpetrated the acts, not those whose words were deliberately twisted. For every example you can come up with of antisemitic actions by 'Christians' in the name of their faith I can come up with the opposite - Serbs and Romanians aiding Jews at the risk of their own lives during the holocaust, the people of my wife's home town rallying to save a Jewish cemetary from the communists' bulldozers, heirarchs publicly condemning those (and not just in recent centuries) who persecuted Jews etc. Are you as willing to praise a religion for turning out such people as you are to denigrate it for turning out the monsters that will inevitably arise in any such organisation? It would appear not. There are bad and good in all religions just as there are those outside of all religions. Individuals are responsible for whatever crimes they commit, however they choose to try to justify them.

James

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JamesThePersian said:
Did I not say that all religions had their share of such people? Criticising a religion for the heinous acts of some of its adherents is simply intellectually indefensible, which I'm pretty sure you appreciate. And pogroms? There were early Catholic leaders in pogroms? Whatever happened later, even if justified by twisting the meaning of those who argued against Judaism in earlier centuries, is the fault of those who perpetrated the acts, not those whose words were deliberately twisted. For every example you can come up with of antisemitic actions by 'Christians' in the name of their faith I can come up with the opposite - Serbs and Romanians aiding Jews at the risk of their own lives during the holocaust, the people of my wife's home town rallying to save a Jewish cemetary from the communists' bulldozers, heirarchs publicly condemning those (and not just in recent centuries) who persecuted Jews etc. Are you as willing to praise a religion for turning out such people as you are to denigrate it for turning out the monsters that will inevitably arise in any such organisation? It would appear not. There are bad and good in all religions just as there are those outside of all religions. Individuals are responsible for whatever crimes they commit, however they choose to try to justify them.

James
here here!:clap
icon7.gif

jonny

Zsr1973 said:
This question is posed to any Mormon who would like to answer. According to the Mormon church, how did Black people become brown skinned, have wooly hair, and thick lips? This subject came up in another thread and Mormons were angry that it was off topic, so here is the forum for that question. Please reveal the truth to us.
Some people will tell you that it's because of the "mark of Cain" that black people are black. This isn't and has never been church doctrine and the belief in Mormonism has pretty much died out just as it has in other Protestant religions. Mormons don't have an official doctrine about how black people became black and the Book of Mormon doesn't even deal with black people - it deals with Native Americans.

The Book of Mormon does mention that the Lamanites had darker skin. I personally believe that their skin color was a result of them mixing with other races that were already in America when they arrived that had darker skin.

The truth is that there is no answer to your question according to the Mormon church. You'll get as many answers as there are people because it isn't something that the church dwells on.

jonny

Jayhawker Soule said:

The Southern Baptist Convention split off from the Baptist church because of its pro-slavery stance. That's one example I can think of.

jonny

Snowbear said:
Are not the leaders of the mormon church considered prophets? And are not the prophets' teachings (especially the founder of your church) considered to be revelations from God? If this is the case, how can you say that the words of the early racist leaders are the words of "mere men" in this one example, yet the rest of the teachings and scriptural interpretations of the mormon church are not of "mere men" but are revelations from God Himself to your prophet leaders?

I don't know of any racist doctrine that was ever presented as a revelation. Most of it was interpretations of the scriptures and even leaders of the church disagreed on these interpretations. The church finally did receive a revelation on the subject in 1978. This is what I accept as doctrine which is why I don't feel bad about not agreeing with some of the early statements made.

BruceDLimber

Hi.

It certainly WAS racist for over a century, and therefore compiled a track record bad enough for me to reject completely any possibility that it might have been God-sent!

"Better late than never," I suppose, but with origins like that, IMHO it's fatally and permanently flawed.

Peace,

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.