• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Pantheism atheistic or theistic?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Hi everyone, I must be missing this, shouldn't Spinoza be referenced if we discuss pantheism ?

Baruch Spinoza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isn't this a natural reference point for discussion ? From this, we can go backward or forward in historic development.
It would be better if you bring Spinoza's ideas to the thread in which ever context you think is relevant... Personally I do not find it imperative to make my cases, but maybe you will change my mind.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
Just mentioning that all "pantheistic" or similar faiths are theistic except Buddhists. Taoism can be both, but Gnostisism is theist, Hindu Advaita is theistic, Spinoza was himself an open theist. Even Albert Einstein who espoused some pantheist ideas that Al himself considered .n

Pantheism(all is God) without the theism(God),
is just pan(all) so basically without God its just Monism.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Pantheism(all is God) without the theism(God),
is just pan(all) so basically without God its just Monism.
Work these definitions with more effort and you'll see that like every tree it has more branches than you saw in first glance, and that many trees in fact are multi-trunk.
The biggest trap I observe that people make when discussing Pantheism together with theism, monotheism, or a plethora of other beliefs, both spiritual and idealistic is that they relieve Pantheism off its larger duties and let outdated 'isms' take over the innovation Pantheistic thought can offer.
Too often I see people make Pantheism succumb into their own ideals and beliefs which whether they wish it or not, and whether they define them as far away as the norm as possible, still all base or contrast themselves with archaic preconceived notions. Rendering pantheism in fact useless in their world view, a world view that doesn't seek to interact with a world which is the way it is, or to even accept such a world, but instead seeks to see the world as an ideal, or rather see the world through their ideals.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Doesn't this describe the universe? What are we? Isn't this therefore God being personal?
Maybe I was too vague in my way of defining "person". A simpler way might be to say a person (in my view) is an extension of a human being. A human has personality, a mask, a face, a behavior, that makes that person. Person to me requires to be human, limited, finite, etc.

If I would put the same attributes on the universe, I would diminish the universe. Also, it would be a form of categorical fallacy. Just because a whole consist of parts, the whole is not the same as the parts. We consist of cells, doesn't mean I'm a giant cell.

By whom? And are we actually, if you are just looking at humans, defined by space and time? What are we exactly? Do I have all the same cells in my body that I did when I was born, or even the same cells from a few years ago? If not, then a person must be defined by having a sort of repeating form. Doesn't the universe have repeating forms?
No. Person is not defined by the cells, but by the history, experience, memory, etc, that is expressing itself through interaction (see, I changed it to interaction :)).

But I know what you mean. We interact with the universe as well through being. I just don't think of the universe is in itself a "person".

Doesn't this describe all sentient beings? And in a more rudimentary sense does this describe all of nature all the way from the subatomic to human mind? Nature is constantly making "decisions". It's how evolution works. It adapts itself to create stable forms.
Sure. I know exactly where you're going because I've been through those thoughts too. Ultimately, will or conscious decisions are based on natural processes, so why can't natural processes in other forms be conscious? I agree with such an idea. It is possible. But here, in these posts, we're not talking about what could be true, but what I currently believe to be true. Of course I could be wrong, but currently I don't see the universe as a whole as being a person, neither a nontemporal infinite being either since it to me, the way I defined those attributes, are contradicting each other.

Communicate? You mean interact? That too describes all of nature. If by communicate you mean share thoughts and ideas, then that certainly isn't something humans alone do. This happens within all the animal species, and even plant life. Communication occurs that tells others of those species of things occurring, such as an insect invasion where suddenly other trees who are not being attacked directly begin to secrete sap in advance of invasion. Or any countless other examples of the transmission of knowledge this way.
Believe me, I know. I consider every breath I take to be interaction with the world. And I even consider my mind and brain being an extension of the world and in need of existing within the world to be what it is. And as such, a person is that top of the mountain, or peak of the waves of reality. Reality is the ocean, carrying the potentiality, but a person is the peak that momentarily shows itself in that ocean.

You know what I believe? I believe Western science has adopted this view that nature is purely mechanical, dumb, blind, impersonal, etc. That has skewed our understanding of the aliveness of nature itself as a whole. We try to explain things to make them mechanical, not alive.
I know. And I don't. That's not my intent. I just define a person to be something that comes out from the world rather than something the world is. You probably define the word differently than me, and that's why we're have different views on that particular word. We're in agreement on most everything else.

But what is life? And then to the question, what is a "person"? Humans? I see all of it as personal, from the rock to the leaf, to the stars, to the air, to the planet, to your mind, to my body, to the universe within us, etc. It's all alive. And it all acts. It is bound together through forms. It interacts with itself as a body. We are not disjointed, disconnected, isolated, removed, separate, as persons from an impersonal universe or God. We are very much expressions of this living Reality.
Amen. No comment there.

So God, in a pantheistic view as being immanent in the universe would need to be personal.
Well, there's a difference of being personal and being a person. Our experience is personal, so yes, God is personal. But God being a person is to me to say that God is physical (only), not immanent, finite, limited, temporal. But God of a panentheistic view is beyond that in ways we yet haven't figured out. Beyond "person". Being human. Beyond being.

But I identify as panenthiestic, in that I additionally see the world of form, this body of God as it were, to be one of countless expressions of Infinity beyond it. And that Infinity is eternal and outside the body. So God is both wholly transcendent to, and wholly immanent in the universe. That God is both personal, and "impersonal" in the sense that it is the Uncreate, the Formless, the Source through which all form arises as the Personal. We are expressions of the Personal, as humans.
Yeah. Well, I'm not sure I follow that one, but maybe I will one day.

It's interesting we see ourselves alone as personal, like seeing the earth as the center of the universe, or humans as the pinnacle of God's creation. I see all these myths as expression of our existential disconnect with who we are in ourselves. It's no wonder why when we meditate, when we look into ourselves, we see we are not disconnected, that we are One. To know ourselves, is to know God. To know God is to know ourselves. And we are personal.

Absolutely. I agree with that. I think the only way I can see God as a person is to consider other people as representations of God. So when I talk to my son, I talk to God, and as such, he's a person at that moment. But just as there are male and female, races, mentalities, opinions and so on that form people's personality, I can't say God is specifically male or female just because a person is that. I see personhood more as an attribute of the living and can be a representation of the whole at a given moment, but is not a proper attribute when it comes to the whole at all times. Simply because it makes the whole lesser. It reduces the whole into a definition that will constrain it.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
Well some pantheists beleive in a form of divine panpsychism, that is in essence an intelligence in nature, but this is not universally accepted.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Which points or ideas from Section 2.1 specifically in light of the OP?

Sure, Cal, as your read Section 2.1 you will see a rigorous proof of the pantheism that is discussed in the OP, which led Spinoza to the following notions, described in the SEP:

In those works, Spinoza denies the immortality of the soul; strongly rejects the notion of a providential God—the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; and claims that the Law was neither literally given by God nor any longer binding on Jews. Can there be any mystery as to why one of history's boldest and most radical thinkers was sanctioned by an orthodox Jewish community?

Does this sound like it relates to some of the discussions that we have daily in the Judaism DIR ?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
There's one reason I see, though this is from my personal non-religious perspective and I imagine many theists will disagree, including the author of that book:

"Gods" are people's attempts to relate to things like nature, perfection, luck, morality, etc. If a god is crafted in such a way that it can't be related to, then it defeats the whole point of the exercise.

What's an anthropomorphism with no characteristics of a person?

Again, why would such a force and entity need to be to an anthropomorphic being? In fact, I can't reconcile the notion of there being an infinite, all-encompassing, omnimax being and it still possessing ego and emotion akin to us hominids.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Well some pantheists beleive in a form of divine panpsychism, that is in essence an intelligence in nature, but this is not universally accepted.
Some do, some don't. I'm not sure.

Essentially, I think it's possible, but I can't know if it's true or not.

Put it this way, if we had philosophical ants, would they discuss if there's a bigger intellect in their world? If they concluded there were something called "humans", would they be able to communicate with it or know what it really meant? Would they understand the human intelligence? Language? Thoughts? I suspect it would be a barrier you can't cross without actually becoming one.

Solaris, by Stanislav Lem, portray the difficulty of understanding a higher intellect or different intellect than ours. How do we communicate meaning? What's the hurdles of interaction?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think of pantheism as atheistic. Yes, they do use the term "God", but it's such a different way of thinking of things than a theistic viewpoint that I can't put it in the same category. Pantheists do believe in a god, but only because they use that term for something completely different from a personal god.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Does this sound like it relates to some of the discussions that we have daily in the Judaism DIR ?
To me this all sounds like part of a repeating dichotomy and a repeating debate which appears every now and again. Spinoza contrasted his ideas with those of the orthodox community. I don't live in an orthodox environment, and I don't refer to their beliefs as a point of reference. My philosophy and my surrounding do not overly challenge me in such a way, I am fine with letting Judaism settle with Pantheism. In fact I find it quite natural.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
Perhaps not a theism per say. But Pantheists often believe in a spiritual aspect of Nature, like anamism, or seeing all Nature as a single organism.
Gaian philosophy, monist philosophy, nondualist philosophy. Often adjuncted onto the ritual, dogma, and myths of various religions.
furthermore pantheist idea are not accepted by atheist, but are often picked up by theists

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Generally not, but I still consider myself to be an atheist of sorts. Mainly because I reject many of the traditional views of God.
I think this is one point that should be considered more in this discussion.
I am an agnostic. An agnostic in the sense that the question of God's existence is completely irrelevant to me. God may exist, or may not exist, but we live in this world, and this galaxy and we will soon travel the stars than answer any of the theological questions we accumulated during our short history. Our real big questions are the scientific questions that emerged only in recent centuries, and in particular recent decades.
Pantheism is my toolbox for understanding and addressing our world and its circumstances. My form of pantheism expresses itself in figuring out how I'm wired, or my psychology as it were and navigate it in such a way that I understand the 'psychology of nature' or what makes other humans and creatures tick... how we can optimally find our existence in this world. It means to develop a wholesome philosophy, and consistent system of ideals which derive from my observations and activities in the world. In this sense, my religion is dependent on my efforts to directly interact with the world, to reflect on the world by direct observation and experimentation rather than by falling back on preconceived notions.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I think this is one point that should be considered more in this discussion.
I am an agnostic. An agnostic in the sense that the question of God's existence is completely irrelevant to me. God may exist, or may not exist, but we live in this world, and this galaxy and we will soon travel the stars than answer any of the theological questions we accumulated during our short history. Our real big questions are the scientific questions that emerged only in recent centuries, and in particular recent decades.
Pantheism is my toolbox for understanding and addressing our world and its circumstances. My form of pantheism expresses itself in figuring out how I'm wired, or my psychology as it were and navigate it in such a way that I understand the 'psychology of nature' or what makes other humans and creatures tick... how we can optimally find our existence in this world. It means to develop a wholesome philosophy, and consistent system of ideals which derive from my observations and activities in the world. In this sense, my religion is dependent on my efforts to directly interact with the world, to reflect on the world by direct observation and experimentation rather than by falling back on preconceived notions.
I'm liking you more and more. :)

It's a yes! From me.

God or not God, it won't change the world or how it works. If there is a God, then he/she/it intended this world this way, then there's no need to fight it or the knowledge, but rather incorporate it all into one understanding (and without excluding any religious/spiritual experience on the way, because it's most likely also valid in itself).

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You had me at Ouroboros :D

It's a yes! From me.

God or not God, it won't change the world or how it works. If there is a God, then he/she/it intended this world this way.
Exactly. Even in the writings of the Hebrew Bible, considered perhaps the pillar of (mono)theism, some of the best parts are those which inspire to search the ways of God by observing nature and its creatures.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
You had me at Ouroboros :D
LOL!

It's like a secret handshake or something... oh, wait, I shouldn't have revealed that!

And I like your flaming Ouroboros. Very cool.

Exactly. Even in the writings of the Hebrew Bible, considered perhaps the pillar of (mono)theism, some of the best parts are those which inspire to search the ways of God by observing nature and its creatures.
Yup.

nazz

Doubting Thomas

It's a yes! From me.

God or not God, it won't change the world or how it works. If there is a God, then he/she/it intended this world this way, then there's no need to fight it or the knowledge, but rather incorporate it all into one understanding (and without excluding any religious/spiritual experience on the way, because it's most likely also valid in itself).

Wow, great discussion in the last few pages. Many interesting views. I just want to comment on this one from a Gnostic perspective. Yes, there is a god of this aeon, this spacetime dimension we call the universe, and everything in it is an expression of that deity. Generally good, that is good from the perspective of sentient beings who experience it, certainly wonderful and awe-inspiring, but also seriously flawed and imperfect, resulting in chaos and disharmony. And this truth is reflected in human beings themselves since they too are an expression of the god of this aeon.

So far so good. But rather than seek to live in harmony with this situation (which it would seem you are espousing) the gnostic desires above all to rise above it. For the gnostic perceives he has another nature, a spiritual one, that is in conflict with his lower natures that derive from the demiurge. The gnostic perceives there is another deity, a higher one, that is perfect, and who is not the (direct) source of this imperfect and transitory world below. It is with this highest deity that the gnostic wishes to be in union and to attain eternal life in his aeon.