• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Quantum Physics an open book for theists?

DarkSun

:eltiT
I think he was just saying that science is the realm of scientists - and when someone, who is not even close to being a scientist tries to use ideas from quantum mechanics to come to conclusions that no scientists ever came to, while disregarding the ones they did come to, that's problematic (and funny).

But of course some scientists are theists and there are probably even more those that are deists. I don't think many of them go about using quantum mechanics to justify their god tho. :)

Well, that I agree with. :p

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not the guy to do it, because I'm not a traditional religionist. But I think a strong argument could be put together using modern physics in conjunction with a SYMBOLIC interpretation of scripture that shows how these can compliment each other in revealing a compelling image of the natural universe as an expression of "God". And I see no reason that such a presentation should be "funny". I also see no reason to assume that scientists would be bothered by such a speculative correlation because it would not be done in the course of science, but in the course of theology.

Commoner

Headache
I'm not the guy to do it, because I'm not a traditional religionist. But I think a strong argument could be put together using modern physics in conjunction with a SYMBOLIC interpretation of scripture that shows how these can compliment each other in revealing a compelling image of the natural universe as an expression of "God". And I see no reason that such a presentation should be "funny". I also see no reason to assume that scientists would be bothered by such a speculative correlation because it would not be done in the course of science, but in the course of theology.

See, this, right here, this is what I find problematic.--------^

It's a bit like those algorithms used to find predictions* in the bible and assigning numbers to letters and finding patterns - like "the number of the beast". I mean, I'm sure it's great fun and all, but that's all it is.

*that is - not finding predictions, but looking for predictions having been made for an event that has already transpired. The same thing has later been done with Moby Dick and other novels to show just how absurd that is.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
See, this, right here, this is what I find problematic.--------^

It's a bit like those algorithms used to find predictions* in the bible and assigning numbers to letters and finding patterns - like "the number of the beast". I mean, I'm sure it's great fun and all, but that's all it is.

*that is - not finding predictions, but looking for predictions having been made for an event that has already transpired. The same thing has later been done with Moby Dick and other novels to show just how absurd that is.
I didn't write a word about assigning numbers to letters or making predictions. Where do you get this stuff?

All I was referring to was that if we do not interpret the bible stories literally (and I do not believe thy were ever intended to be taken that way) we could see how the language can fit with what we actually think happened. In which case, both the scientific view, and the theological view, could illuminate each other.

Commoner

Headache
I didn't write a word about assigning numbers to letters or making predictions. Where do you get this stuff?

All I was referring to was that if we do not interpret the bible stories literally (and I do not believe thy were ever intended to be taken that way) we could see how the language can fit with what we actually think happened. In which case, both the scientific view, and the theological view, could illuminate each other.

You're doing the same thing, just using more subtle methods. Finding symbolism in the bible and other scriptures so that you make the nonsensical stories fit with what we know. A day is a billion years to god, huh?

PureX

Veteran Member
You're doing the same thing, just using more subtle methods. Finding symbolism in the bible and other scriptures so that you make the nonsensical stories fit with what we know. A day is a billion years to god, huh?
They aren't nonsensical, if we can make sense of them.