• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is religion a organism

jamesdominic

in definition an organism is something that simply put grows, multiplies, expands,
Do we see nature playing itself out in religion.
I believe in God but have my doubts about religion.
I need to understand this.
Each day we are bombarded with ideas of science and facts that denies the existence of religion. Mind u i said religion not God.
Everyday some religion is saying hey i am a better way to life.That religion is saying i could lead u to salvation. this religion saying this the only religion either believe or go to hell.
what is it actually doing. It is propagating itself, growing and killing rivals. keeping itself alive.

to me religion is something man found to relate to God. As we evolved we try to shackle off the yoke of nature.

Every religion says all man are equal but somehow or the other it ends up chirstian men are better than muslims. muslims only can reach heaven and the rest of the unbelievers are condemed to hell.
This is nature.

jamesdominic

men took an evolutionary road.
he asked who am i and what am i doing here how i came to be
he found god.
later he wanted to share his findings and soon everybody believed. than they decided to elect someone to be thier leader.
thier leader assumed control. he become powerfull
he wanted to promote this religion so that more will believe
and than that religion grew.
it started well and ended bad
all religion says the same thing
all men are equal
now it is diffrent

Yes Man

Premium Member
in definition an organism is something that simply put grows, multiplies, expands,
You mean a meme? Meme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Each day we are bombarded with ideas of science and facts that denies the existence of religion.
Not sure what you mean by this.
Everyday some religion is saying hey i am a better way to life.That religion is saying i could lead u to salvation.
Not bad by itself.
this religion saying this the only religion either believe or go to hell.
Not every religion has a heaven or hell concept.
what is it actually doing. It is propagating itself, growing and killing rivals. keeping itself alive.
Religion doesn't do that by itself though. It's the crazy, intolerant people that do that.

jamesdominic

it shows genetic traits
it is something created by man therefore has genetic traits
like, is microsoft an organism,
does it grow expand and multiply

xkatz

In sense, yes, a religion does grow, change, and evolve just like an organism of sorts.

jamesdominic

Religion exist because of the question that rose
question rose because we evolved to think and we understood that someone created all this and everything.
but somehow nature got the better of things as usual and infected it with natural insticy.
Religion is a creation of men's questions about God
anything that man creates he imbues with his nature. Men's nature is to propagate multiply
another of men's creation is Corporate Giant Microsoft
Is Microsoft an organism?

Yes Man

Premium Member
Religion exist because of the question that rose
question rose because we evolved to think and we understood that someone created all this and everything.
No ****.
but somehow nature got the better of things as usual and infected it with natural insticy.
Oh please. Are organizations suddenly supposed to not have a self-preservation "instinct"? Not all of them are seeking to be in control, there are religions that simply wish to teach instead of directing people's lives forcibly.
Is Microsoft an organism?
In a sense. The idea that organizations, religions, societies are "alive" in a sense is not anything new.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk

Actually, though I am no biologist, it is my understanding all living organisms exhibit additional characteristics beyond those you have listed herein above. For example, all living organisms have respiratory and metabolic systems, allowing them to exchange gasses and convert substances to energy.

I don't know exactly though, and that is not really my point. I certainly have no business conducting any online biology courses.

My point is this, often I see people using rhetorical and/or poetical devices to make their arguments or to challenge someone else's, and they sort of let their rhetoric carry them away from the truth.

I certainly don't mean to be condescending or pedantic, so please take this with all due respect, don't let your metaphors lead you to flawed conclusions.

Someone wrote that religion is a "virus". I like that analogy. I find very little, perhaps nothing at all, that I like about organized religion, and it does exhibit viral-like qualities. A virus is a foreign agent that infects a host, traveling through the blood stream to infect the cells, generally causing illness or some other form of physical deterioration and/or internal aborration within the host. From a particular perspective, this could aptly describe religion, at least I think so and apparently so too does Dogsgod who was clever enough to employ it in the first place. Many people, however, I'm sure will find such a description of religion to be misguided, perhaps even downright offensive.

But these are merely poetical/rhetorical devices that are employed to convey a better understanding, not to express undeniable truth. Does religion have some qualities that imitate the characteristics of living orgnisms? Most certainly, but it is NOT a living organism.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Religion is an organism unless you're an evangelical Christian. Then religion is like a festering piece of mold.

Danny Heim

I believe in God but have my doubts about religion.
I need to understand this.
Each day we are bombarded with ideas of science and facts that denies the existence of religion. Mind u i said religion not God.
Everyday some religion is saying hey i am a better way to life.That religion is saying i could lead u to salvation. this religion saying this the only religion either believe or go to hell.

to me religion is something man found to relate to God. As we evolved we try to shackle off the yoke of nature.

Every religion says all man are equal but somehow or the other it ends up chirstian men are better than muslims. muslims only can reach heaven and the rest of the unbelievers are condemed to hell.
This is nature.

That’s a good synopsis. I am finding there is little one can do about it. I think we just have to work with religion, find where it can help, fight what it can hurt, and hope we survive it all.

kejos

Evolution gave rise to a species that could not survive on most of the earth's surface without intelligence, tool-making and co-operation. It is that last characteristic that created morality- and morality created religion. So the belief developed in every early civilisation that a deity or deities (usually just one) created the world. A deity was able to be induced into providing material benefit, and often held humanity responsible for its actions in some way- the 'shackle' of guilt, one might say. So the practice of offering sacrifices, usually of foodstuffs, grew up, and it was this practice of Abram, later Abraham, that was used by his deity as a conceptual startpoint in dealing with human sense of guilt- according to the Bible.