• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Religious Forums A Genuine Community?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is Religious Forums a genuine community? Why or why not?

Last, is it true that MaddLlama, The Truth and Panda are in cahoots to create the world's largest used gum ball, which they plan to display on a world tour in order to bring about peace to all nations, or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

Random

I don't think so no, it is a private forum and as one is so often reminded there are rules to be obeyed...too many of them, frankly. @ the end of the day it's just a message board like any other...

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I don't think so no, it is a private forum and as one is so often reminded there are rules to be obeyed...too many of them, frankly. @ the end of the day it's just a message board like any other...
I don't know how many forums you participate in Conor, but I can't say "it's just a message board like any other"....Just not my experience. They may not have written rules like we do, but you will get run out of there by Christians, Pagans, Atheist, etc..........take a pick? Been there, done that. For this reason, I think it's the rules that make this place a great place.

Perhaps it's just that some people can't seem to want to put any effort in phrasing their words in a kind and charitable manner. Must be to hard for them. It takes every muscle in their body to do so...

Dr. Nosophoros

In the best sense yes, it's a bunch of people expressing their views, ideas, and perceptions unmoderated freely, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Random

I don't know how many forums you participate in Conor, but I can't say "it's just a message board like any other"....Just not my experience. They may not have written rules like we do, but you will get run out of there by Christians, Pagans, Atheist, etc..........take a pick? Been there, done that. For this reason, I think it's the rules that make this place a great place.

Perhaps it's just that some people can't seem to want to put any effort in phrasing their words in a kind and charitable manner. Must be to hard for them. It takes every muscle in their body to do so...

Fair enough, but some people abuse the kindness and charity of others and some are just pricks to begin with.

I don't agree with you about the rules, Victor, but that is a small difference of opinion: I believe a progressive forum should seek to have a rules system that is the least constraining it can be and thus maximises free expression in all instances.

In any case, even if RF is not a "community" as I would see it (you try "Moderating" the adult behaviour and speech of a real-life community with some of the rules you have here and you would probably be lynched dead inside of a day or two...people do like recieving warnings for what they perceive as being themselves, even if they are being emotional or egotistical jerks), it is still a good place to learn and converse.

SInce you ask, Vic, I post on two other forums: Newsarama and Juryroll and neither has a rules based system of Moderation: the former merely has its FAQ with a brief and reasonable list of do's-and-dont's and the latter has no bans and no rules @ all, complete free expression: and there is never any problem there. I'm not saying RF could be like that, given the essential differences of religion and everything else that exists here, but from a personal perspective it's just what I'm used to.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I agree. Also, while people do get "banned" from communities, they don't in my community.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
According to Dictionary.com, a community is "...a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage."

I think RF fits into this.

I personally feel there is a community spirit to the forum.

Runt

Every community is held together by rules, often of the community's making. You may feel that the rules have been imposed, but many of them were developed with the assistance of the Mod Squad, who were and are members of the forum originally, just like everyone else.

As for this being a message board like any other... I think it is relationships that make a community. I know I have made friends here, which is something I can't say about other forums in which I participate. So I contend that yes, this is a genuine community.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Fair enough, but some people abuse the kindness and charity of others and some are just pricks to begin with.

I don't agree with you about the rules, Victor, but that is a small difference of opinion: I believe a progressive forum should seek to have a rules system that is the least constraining it can be and thus maximises free expression in all instances.

In any case, even if RF is not a "community" as I would see it (you try "Moderating" the adult behaviour and speech of a real-life community with some of the rules you have here and you would probably be lynched dead inside of a day or two...people do like recieving warnings for what they perceive as being themselves, even if they are being emotional or egotistical jerks), it is still a good place to learn and converse.

SInce you ask, Vic, I post on two other forums: Newsarama and Juryroll and neither has a rules based system of Moderation: the former merely has its FAQ with a brief and reasonable list of do's-and-dont's and the latter has no bans and no rules @ all, complete free expression: and there is never any problem there. I'm not saying RF could be like that, given the essential differences of religion and everything else that exists here, but from a personal perspective it's just what I'm used to.
NOTE: This is my opinion.

In practice "free expression" turns into quality posters toying with those perceived not to be (although it doesn't have to be). Making it a community of a select few with lots of brain power. :rolleyes: Dumb people have feelings too you know. "Free expression" has the ability of keeping them dumb because Joe Smarty pants wants to show him just how delusional and fairy talish he is. It's unresistable for some. So how do we keep quality posters and people with feelings and still keep it civil? It can be done.

In fact, I consider our uncle Sunstone as being one of those people able to do such a thing. Both a quality poster, civil, and charitable. Brain power with humility go a long way. :yes:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
NOTE: This is my opinion.

In practice "free expression" turns into quality posters toying with those perceived not to be (although it doesn't have to be). Making it a community of a select few with lots of brain power. :rolleyes: Dumb people have feelings too you know. "Free expression" has the ability of keeping them dumb because Joe Smarty pants wants to show him just how delusional and fairy talish he is. It's unresistable for some. So how do we keep quality posters and people with feelings and still keep it civil? It can be done.

In fact, I consider our uncle Sunstone as being one of those people able to do such a thing. Both a quality poster, civil, and charitable. Brain power with humility go a long way. :yes:

I've also noticed that forums and message boards with no moderation to back up any rules they have quickly turns into a haven for flamers. It gets pretty nasty.

It's pretty civil here, and I think that really makes RF at least community-worthy!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Last, is it true that MaddLlama, The Truth and Panda are in cahoots to create the world's largest used gum ball, which they plan to display on a world tour in order to bring about peace to all nations, or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

News spread so quickly these days. I thought that was a secret, uncle Phil. :cover:

Booko

Deviled Hen
I agree. Also, while people do get "banned" from communities, they don't in my community.

Oh, we have a neighbor who did so much to offend the entire neighborhood that she is treated as persona non grata.

In another respect, commnities do "ban" members. We toss them in jail for committing certain crimes, for example.