• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is satan real?

xkyliex

Student
Yes, I kinda agree. It could be a fake one. A lot of documentaries and videos show some "exorcists" and "exorcism footage" but the truth is that, they aren't. In fact, the Catholic Church does not allow broadcasts of exorcisms. If they do allow it, the case might be an isolated one.

Supposing the video clip is a fake its not to say that it isnt a reinaction? Of course Christians will believe what is written in the bible is the truth. For those who question demon possession how can things like becoming physically strong, the ability to speak in another language - often Latin, experiencing facial changes be explained?

Erebus

Is it possible for the demon to enter and possess our body? Do you believe in the use of exorcisms?

Perhaps you have experienced an other-worldy being/sensation or know of someone who has been exorcised. Please share your experiences, if any...

My first thought when somebody claims to be possessed is "get over yourself". The one girl I knew who claimed she had been possessed would send me pseudo-satanic text messages and put on a hammer house voice over the phone. Miraculously, she never needed an exorcism as ignoring her for a while seemed to drive out the demon.
The other explanation for possession would be serious mental illness. People can exhibit almost supernatural ability when in the grip of a psychosis (tremendous strength, no need to eat or sleep etc) but it is treatable with medication and therapy.

Now, I do actually believe in demons, but I don't buy into the hollywood green vomit and crawling up walls rubbish. Nor do I believe a real demon could be driven away by reading a prayer and holding up a cross, in fact I would argue that such rituals are more inclined to do psychological harm than exorcise a demon. Most real Demons are probably unlikely to bother with humans at all, save perhaps a select few. Even then, those select few are unlikely to have negative experiences with the demon unless there is a specific need for it.

Last edited:

Renji

Supposing the video clip is a fake its not to say that it isnt a reinaction? Of course Christians will believe what is written in the bible is the truth. For those who question demon possession how can things like becoming physically strong, the ability to speak in another language - often Latin, experiencing facial changes be explained?

According to the thesis that I've read, those cases of speaking in a foreign language and having physical strength, which, they say is beyond the person's normal capacity is actually a medical condition, which happens when a person is ill, especially in the psychological aspect. I can assure you that because I experienced that when I was a kid. I had a very high fever back when I was 6 years old. One afternoon, after I slept, I just woke up and spoke in foreign languages and my parents said that I am very angry. They also said that I spoke in a very different voice. But, you know what, it is not an exorcism that "healed" me, but an anti pyretic medicine. I returned to sleep and woke up again. My parents asked me if I know what I just did, but I just can't recall so they just told me what happened.

Last edited:

Jacksnyte

Reverend
My first thought when somebody claims to be possessed is "get over yourself". The one girl I knew who claimed she had been possessed would send me pseudo-satanic text messages and put on a hammer house voice over the phone. Miraculously, she never needed an exorcism as ignoring her for a while seemed to drive out the demon.
The other explanation for possession would be serious mental illness. People can exhibit almost supernatural ability when in the grip of a psychosis (tremendous strength, no need to eat or sleep etc) but it is treatable with medication and therapy.

Now, I do actually believe in demons, but I don't buy into the hollywood green vomit and crawling up walls rubbish. Nor do I believe a real demon could be driven away by reading a prayer and holding up a cross, in fact I would argue that such rituals are more inclined to do psychological harm than exorcise a demon. Most real Demons are probably unlikely to bother with humans at all, save perhaps a select few. Even then, those select few are unlikely to have negative experiences with the demon unless there is a specific need for it.

I fully concur

Jacksnyte

Reverend
According to the thesis that I've red, those cases of speaking in a foreign language and having physical strength, which, they say is beyond the person's normal capacity is actually a medical condition, which happens when a person is ill, especially in the psychological aspect. I can assure you that because I experienced that when I was a kid. I had a very high fever back when I was 6 years old. One afternoon, after I slept, I just woke up and spoke in foreign languages and my parents said that I am very angry. They also said that I spoke in a very different voice. But, you know what, it is not an exorcism that "healed" me, but an anti pyretic medicine. I returned back to sleep and woke up again. My parents asked me if I know what I just did, but I just can't recall so they just told me what happened.
What color was this thesis? (JK:angel2:)

BruceDLimber

So if the 'Scriptures' said the Moon was made of cheddar cheese you would likewise believe that too?

Yet another non-issue: they say no such thing! (Not even close.)

And indeed, given that one of our central principles is the Agreement of Science and Religion, we find them eminently sensible!

Peace, :)

Bruce

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
I believe he exist. but not what the Usual things they say about Devils.

I kinda have a different perspective about them. first Devils/Angels are side of the same coin(Humans).
People usually blame the entity of a Demon/Devil that influence their action but. for me "we are our Own Demons"
and the same can be said for being like an angel. but if you look to it in a different way People souls are a mix of a Bad and Good side. so It's not from Outside Influences but your just simple Dealing with yourself....