• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is science interested in finding God ?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Science is interested in finding reasonable answers to questions with explanatory power by following the evidence.
It has no preconceived notions of where it "wants" to end up. Science is not interested in painting the bullseye around the arrow.

If the evidence would lead to gods, science would happily go there.
But it doesn't, so it doesn't.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
As a scientist who believes in a 'Source' some call Gods do seek the attributes of God in Creation and myself, but nonetheless, as a scientist do not seek God through science. I seek the harmony between Creation and the attributes of our physical existence.

Last edited:

cladking

Vindictive generalization that is not true as usual

The scientific perspective is that no experiment is possible until the terms are defined. Many people take this to mean that there is no God.

My comment was merely to suggest that many people would far rather not perform an experiment that shows God or His influence and most of the rest are doing real experimentation concerning things that are or might become defined.

My own perspective is that science is an extremely long way away from even addressing the question. We don't even know what the formatting of reality or consciousness are so how are we to examine its finest points or every parameter simultaneously.

Tinkerpeach

I think if science were to investigate God it would be for the purpose of saying He doesn’t exist, not to find Him.

The majority of scientists are raging liberal atheists that hate even the concept of a divine being overruling their science.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think if science were to investigate God it would be for the purpose of saying He doesn’t exist, not to find Him.

The majority of scientists are raging liberal atheists that hate even the concept of a divine being overruling their science.
You're confusing the scientism cultists with actual scientists. They are not the same group. Real scientists tend to be open-minded. It's an occupational necessity. The scientism crowd, however, have their axes to grind with religion, and are not open-minded at all. They are devoutly atheist and use their near deification of what they imagine science to be to rationalize and justify that opposition to religion at every opportunity.

It's annoying, I know. But no sense in blaming science or scientists for the actions of people that abuse science so they can justify abusing religion.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I've pointed out in the past that science doesn't get into the business of investigating God or gods existence. It could be that god is so incoherently defined that they don't know where to start. It could be that it is a presumption and unfalsifiable... scientists likely overlook such things to pursue other productive endeavors.

Philosophy, on the other hand, has ruled out that there is an omnibenevolent (all good), omnipotent and omniscient god due to there being evil and undue suffering in the world. This could mean that an all powerful and all knowing god could still exist and knows there's evil and suffering and is obviously indifferent to such things, maybe it willed evil and suffering. Or maybe there is a higher power out there that cares but is not powerful enough to prevent evil and suffering, because there's just too much for the god to handle or bare. More people, more evil and suffering... it's gotten out of hand.

I know why many Christians avoid philosophy and attack, a straw man misrepresentation of, science instead. They think it's an easier target.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
This claim is so absurd on so many levels that I'm going to hold your feet to the fire and ask you to provide demographics of scientists or retract this statement entirely if you wish to maintain any semblance of credibility on this forum.

Tinkerpeach

I've pointed out in the past that science doesn't get into the business of investigating God or gods existence. It could be that god is so incoherently defined that they don't know where to start. It could be that it is a presumption and unfalsifiable... scientists likely overlook such things to pursue other productive endeavors.

Philosophy, on the other hand, has ruled out that there is an omnibenevolent (all good), omnipotent and omniscient god due to there being evil and undue suffering in the world. This could mean that an all powerful and all knowing god could still exist and knows there's evil and suffering and is obviously indifferent to such things, maybe it willed evil and suffering. Or maybe there is a higher power out there that cares but is not powerful enough to prevent evil and suffering, because there's just too much for the god to handle or bare. More people, more evil and suffering... it's gotten out of hand.

I know why many Christians avoid philosophy and attack, a straw man misrepresentation of, science instead. They think it's an easier target.
There are plenty of people who you consider good that have no problem walking into their backyard and spraying RAID on an ant colony causing tens of thousands of creatures to suffer and die a horrible death.

“But they are just dumb ants”, you claim

Well we are far closer to an ant then we will ever be to God.

I’m thinking you need to start reading better philosophers because good and evil, morals, values and ethics do not apply to God just like they don’t apply to a human in relation to an ant.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
There are plenty of people who you consider good that have no problem walking into their backyard and spraying RAID on an ant colony causing tens of thousands of creatures to suffer and die a horrible death.

Who is "you" in this analogy?

Viker

Well we are far closer to an ant then we will ever be to God.

I’m thinking you need to start reading better philosophers because good and evil, morals, values and ethics do not apply to God just like they don’t apply to a human in relation to an ant.
You just demonstrated to me and confirmed a point I made. Your God is indifferent to evil and suffering that it likely caused in the first place. I actually believe you've misrepresented that God, as well.

BTW, humans didn't create ants. We aren't their masters either.

Viker

Who is "you" in this analogy?
Definitely not me. You know I have a high appreciation for insects, especially the ever impressive ants. They're superior to humans in nearly every regard.

Sucks when I have to break out the Raid against them. They never consider my pleas for them to cease their "invasion". I'm a monster. Like Godzilla. :(

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Definitely not me. You know I have a high appreciation for insects, especially the ever impressive ants. They're superior to humans in nearly every regard.
I know this from previous discussions, which is why I took exception to the comment.

Even if it's a general "you," she clearly doesn't know her audience. While I'm confident there are those here that fit the bill, they're certainly not the people with which she's engaged in discussion.