• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is science interested in finding God ?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If I search Google by asking, “How did planet Earth form?”, what do you think I’ll find? Will I find science saying, “We don’t know”?
We only give that answer to questions that haven't been answered yet. We know how the earth formed.
They offer guesses.
They might seem like guesses to you, but they're not. I just finished explaining why the critical thinker isn't interested in guessing andcalling it fact.

And what would be your criticism if it were only a guess? You're guessing that it's only a guess and you're guessing that a god exists. What argument are you offering against guessing?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That is what the evidence supports.
I really do believe that the Bible supports the concept that God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning. I look forward to the future and hope that I can understand more. Have a good one...(day...afternoon...evening...now that I think of it, it's Friday :) )

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I really do believe that the Bible supports the concept that God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning. I look forward to the future and hope that I can understand more. Have a good one...(day...afternoon...evening...now that I think of it, it's Friday :) )
huh?
Is not the Bible the SOURCE of the concept that God created the heavens and earth?

YoursTrue

huh?
Is not the Bible the SOURCE of the concept that God created the heavens and earth?
I guess you want an answer. The answer is yes and no. The SOURCE is God. The Bible is the document used to transmit the account between God and men. Hope that helps.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The Bible is not evidence -- religious texts are not evidence. Evidence can be a scientific study, or it can be an argument done by the rules of logic.

YoursTrue

The Bible is not evidence -- religious texts are not evidence. Evidence can be a scientific study, or it can be an argument done by the rules of logic.
You remember what Joshua told the Israelites as they were finally entering the Promised Land? If not, I'll give you the quote. And the reason I offer it as substantial reply is because it is an axiom that makes sense to me.

YoursTrue

Let me say, however, that religious texts certainly can be evidence, or shall we say, a foundation upon which some people place their reasoning and determination upon. Which leads me to a question for you -- it seems to me you put no faith in any religious text whatsoever, is that true? Because let's say it is true that you believe nothing of any religious sort or saying that has been written...if you do, it would be nice to express it. But if not, what hope do you have for the future--your future and mankind's future?

IndigoChild5559

Let me say, however, that religious texts certainly can be evidence
If they are evidence, how does it work when they contradict each other? Sorry, it makes no sense.

Religious texts are valuable in that they can draw us closer to God and help us become better versions of ourselves. I have enormous respect for the religious texts of my people. I'm just pointing out that they are written by human beings, which means there will be mistakes, since humans are flawed.

YoursTrue

The Bible is evidence that these testimonies were written down and preserved throughout the centuries by a certain group of people who claimed that YHWH was their God, and He told them by inspiration (God's ineffable spirit) that He was their God. He had a long and often difficult relationship with the children of Israel. But He was their God. I wasn't there and I read English translations of that which are considered to have been inspired by Him quite a long time ago but have been preserved until now, for which I am grateful.

IndigoChild5559

The Bible is evidence that these testimonies were written down and preserved throughout the centuries by a certain group of people who claimed that YHWH was their God, and He told them by inspiration (God's ineffable spirit) that He was their God. He had a long and often difficult relationship with the children of Israel. But He was their God. I wasn't there and I read English translations of that which are considered to have been inspired by Him quite a long time ago but have been preserved until now, for which I am grateful.
They are not testimonies. The gospels were not written by Matthew Mark Luke or John -- that is simply chrsitian tradition that developed later. They all have more than one author, and are basically collections of legends that grew up in the decades after Jesus death.

YoursTrue

They are not testimonies. The gospels were not written by Matthew Mark Luke or John -- that is simply chrsitian tradition that developed later. They all have more than one author, and are basically collections of legends that grew up in the decades after Jesus death.
I am speaking also of the Hebrew scriptures. Yes, they are records or testimonies of what the writers heard and believed. The Jewish temple was destroyed after the one you probably don't believe existed as said was killed. Most people know, however, without doubt that the Jewish temple in Jerusalem was destroyed and never rebuilt. That is not legend that the Jewish temple was basically destroyed and ransacked in the first century CE. Ostensibly the scriptures stopped being written for transmission and preservation during that period of time. I have found that the preciousness of the scriptures far outweigh any criticisms, and God has kept them preserved although men sought to hide them from people and refute them. As the old song goes, Amazing Grace, that saved a wretch like me. Amen and amen. I look forward to being forever grateful for what I have learned.

cladking

If they are evidence, how does it work when they contradict each other? Sorry, it makes no sense.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting them or parsing the words wrong.

You seem to expect ancient people to think and talk just like you. They didn't. A lot of people today don't think or talk just like you.

YoursTrue

You remember what Joshua told the Israelites as they were finally entering the Promised Land? If not, I'll give you the quote. And the reason I offer it as substantial reply is because it is an axiom that makes sense to me.
@IndigoChild5559 come to think of it, do you even believe that Joshua lived as written and told the Israelites what it is said he told them when they were about to finally enter the promised land? Just to say, if you do not believe the account, the testimony of the history as preserved through the ages, there really is no discussion, you believe what you want and do whatever...we go our separate ways. Just as Joshua did not have to go through every detail with the Israelites as they were entering the promised land, it is up to each individual to decide.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Let me say, however, that religious texts certainly can be evidence, or shall we say, a foundation upon which some people place their reasoning and determination upon.
By definition all ancient scripture in all ancient religions cannot be considered "evidence."

Yes, as in the bold above believers construct their belief on their own reasoning and determination, but this amount to circular eason in believing the text justifies itself without independent sources.

Which leads me to a question for you -- it seems to me you put no faith in any religious text whatsoever, is that true? Because let's say it is true that you believe nothing of any religious sort or saying that has been written...if you do, it would be nice to express it. But if not, what hope do you have for the future--your future and mankind's future?
It is unlikely that ancient scripture gives meaning on the universal level concerning the future of humanity. You have to look toward a universal perspective of human future based on science,

The neglect of science may lead to an unfortunate future of humanity.

Last edited:

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
They are not testimonies. The gospels were not written by Matthew Mark Luke or John -- that is simply chrsitian tradition that developed.They all have more than one author, and are basically collections of legends that grew up in the decades after Jesus death.
The Gaelic war doesn't have Ceasar name on the title,but we know that it was written by Ceasar , because the contemproraries of Ceasar atributed it to his name and the following generations did the same thing.

IndigoChild5559

The Gaelic war doesn't have Ceasar name on the title,but we know that it was written by Ceasar , because the contemproraries of Ceasar atributed it to his name and the following generations did the same thing.
Absolutely no one claims that Jesus wrote anything.

IndigoChild5559

Do you know what History tells about Jesus?
Almost nothing. Most scholars acknowledge that a historical Jesus existed, but would say that the gospels are far from reliable history. The best evidence that a historical Jesus existed is the fact that we have ample historical evidence that James the brother of Jesus existed, and of course James believed his brother was the messiah.