• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is self-pity required?

Booko

Deviled Hen
doppelgänger;938807 said:
Do you count constructing an image or avatar to act as an agent of your forgiveness as "self-forgiveness"?

It seems to work for some people.

I prefer the more direct approach myself.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Self-pity? Hm...no. But self-forgiveness is essential.
Why is the one more essential than the other? Or as you worded it, one is and one isn't essential. Do we really have any say in what is and isn't essential?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Why is the one more essential than the other? Or as you worded it, one is and one isn't essential. Do we really have any say in what is and isn't essential?

Self-pity gets you stuck in life and is about as essential as shooting oneself in the foot just before starting a marathon.

Self-forgiveness just acknowledges that one has made a mistake, and then allows for moving on and not repeating the mistake again.

As for what is and isn't essential, I only speak according to the observations I've made in life thus far.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Self-pity gets you stuck in life and is about as essential as shooting oneself in the foot just before starting a marathon.

Self-forgiveness just acknowledges that one has made a mistake, and then allows for moving on and not repeating the mistake again.

As for what is and isn't essential, I only speak according to the observations I've made in life thus far.
What is essence? What I'm getting at is, if essence is what we are, or what wells up from 'within' us, then isn't self-pity as much a part of us as self-forgivance? What makes the one more necessary (hint, value judgement)?

Jeremiah

If you feel sorrow for yourself than you are not satisfying your own needs and something inside you is trying to communicate that. When needs are left unattended they can become problematic. While I see nothing wrong in the feeling of dismay towards one's situation, overindulgence in your sorrow is unhealthy.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What is essence? What I'm getting at is, if essence is what we are, or what wells up from 'within' us, then isn't self-pity as much a part of us as self-forgivance? What makes the one more necessary (hint, value judgement)?
Although I agree with Booko for the most part, I am not particularly into denial, hence I am a bit more acerbic than most posters on RF. The simple fact is that you are right Willamena. Self-pity can be valuable if one LEARNS from the experience. If, as Booko stated, one gets fixated on self-pity then it is unlikely to be a "good" thing. Both are indeed relative value judgments.

This is part of the reason that I harp on the fact that there is no good or bad. Things just are what they are and there is little point in getting all huffy and emotional about things seemingly beyond our control. Even if one commits a horrendous act, if one learns from doing the act that that act is not an especially wise way to express oneself, then in the long run it cannot be deemed "wrong" or "bad"... at least not for that particular individual... even though we may recoil in horror. Everyone acts in a manner that is relative to their understanding, conditioning and intelligence level.

Likewise, giving in to self-pity can become a wellspring of renewed energy for the person experiencing it... if they manage to catch themselves before they plunge headlong into the abyss of delusion.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Well feelin' sorry for yourself is quite human and is required at times as a learning opportunity. Self-pity seems to be dragging the chain of feeling sorry for yourself too far though.

A Nice difference.....

The trials of life can make you feel down for awhile.
It is only a problem when it takes on the aspect of self pity.

I had a Great Grandfather... whose favourite expression was "poor me."
He had a large farm in Norfolk, no mains services because he lived too far from anywhere.
But he was rich, comfortable and lived to a great age.
I think he took feeling sorry for him self, and made it into an art form.