• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is speech necessary, in prayer?

Do you need words, to talk to God?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No, use your heart and soul.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A mixture of both.

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

rajakrsna

I understand what you mean. I use words, a lot of the time; but I also believe that we don't need words, if we don't wish to use them. Sometimes, articulating our thoughts is helpful -- and it lends extra power to our requests -- but He knows us (perhaps better than we know ourselves). I think I forget that, at times.

Which would you prefer a person who does not talk to you but communicates through body language or a person who often talks to you but doesn`t show it through his/her body? God communicates through us, through calamities, through trials, through nature, etc. Do we communicate to God this way, too. Through wars, greed, hypocrisy, etc?:shout

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
We can use words if we feel to express ourselves in that way but we don't need to - God already knows what is in our hearts, even before we say anything. God understands the language of love because God is love. :)

The Great Architect

This thread is turning out wonderfully! So many opinions, coming from every angle. I have been given negative frubals for this thread, as well as positive ones. I'm not complaining:no:, it just goes to show how many different perspectives and points of view we have! I love this place!:)

Captain Civic

version 2.0
I often pray without words, but I must admit that prayer out loud is ... what's the term, better? for me. I'm a person who thinks a lot, and for anyone else that is the same, verbalising the whizzing sounds in your head makes them feel more fleshed out, more real.

So, I tend to pray silently, but I think it would be beneficial for me if I mixed it up a bit.

The Great Architect

Which would you prefer a person who does not talk to you but communicates through body language or a person who often talks to you but doesn`t show it through his/her body? God communicates through us, through calamities, through trials, through nature, etc. Do we communicate to God this way, too. Through wars, greed, hypocrisy, etc?:shout
What about love? That is one of the most powerful communicative tools of all.

By the way, I have known plenty of people who are unable to speak; but they get their point across far better than some of us who are verbal.

blackout

Violet.
God communicates through us, through calamities, through trials, through nature, etc. Do we communicate to God this way, too. Through wars, greed, hypocrisy, etc?:shout

Yes. I liked this comment.
Every thing, every event holds potential communicated meanings
different and personal for each one of us.
I guess you might say my religion is Life and God speaks through all things.
IE... all of LIFE speaks...
for those who open themselves to deeper and more personal meaning there.

I also agree that we SPEAK most clearly and truly in and through our actions.
What we do and don't do, and even in how we INTERPRET our-selves,
and our world (reality). These are all ACTIVE things.
Acting/moving in faith really does not require words.
Seeing/interpreting Life Signs and Revelation does not require words.

But our own personal words should be chosen very carefully
as they hold and express the very meaning(s) of our Life.
In some way the power of MEANING behind
the Action of our giving birth to Word/Idea/Conception
generates very real changes in our Reality.

For me, "to pray as if it has already been done"
MEANS... not to ask at all.;)
All one needs do is step out in that new REALization.

That would be "Active Faith"

Draka

Wonder Woman
Any prayer, or talking to the Divine I do when not in ritual is usually silent. In my head. Or a feeling of outreach from within.

In ritual, within circle, I often talk aloud. I find it helps to not only think and concentrate on things in my head, but to vocalize them as well. Helps for energy raising and application for magickal purposes.

To me, silent is prayer, while vocal is spellwork.

blackout

Violet.
Any prayer, or talking to the Divine I do when not in ritual is usually silent. In my head. Or a feeling of outreach from within.

In ritual, within circle, I often talk aloud. I find it helps to not only think and concentrate on things in my head, but to vocalize them as well. Helps for energy raising and application for magickal purposes.

To me, silent is prayer, while vocal is spellwork.

That is true to my thinking as well Draka.
Any vocal or written expression of MEANING
intended to shift a reality paradigm with power
is "SPELLING" to me as well
and it is a powerful powerful Majik. (Magick)

Is "silent" for you like contemplation?
or simply being?
or is it a connection with deity for you?

Just curious, if you don't mind my asking. :rainbow1:

UV

Draka

Wonder Woman
That is true to my thinking as well Draka.
Any vocal or written expression of MEANING
intended to shift a reality paradigm with power
is "SPELLING" to me as well
and it is a powerful powerful Majik. (Magick)

Is "silent" for you like contemplation?
or simply being?
or is it a connection with deity for you?

Just curious, if you don't mind my asking. :rainbow1:

UV

All of the above. It depends on what I feel I need to connect for. Sometimes I just seek spiritual connection, sometimes it is an awareness and contemplation of existence, and sometimes it is direct communication with deity.