• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is (straight) sex only for those that wish to procreate?

SoyLeche

meh...
Sunstone said:
From what I've read, chimps get pleasure out of sex, but they don't have sex outside of estrus, so I agree that it seems to work somewhat differently among chimps than among humans.
I would think that if chimps were having sex just for the pleasure, they would do so outside of estrus. That seems to suggest to me that there is something else involved there - I am calling that instinct.

SoyLeche

meh...
I should probably state my position on this issue - as I don't believe I have yet in this thread (I've been more interested in pointing out problems in other's arguments)

I don't believe sex is to be used only, or even mostly for procreation. There are many more benefits that sex gives, and I think one of the most important is the connection that it creates between people.

I do believe that we should work to control our desires and only have sexual intercourse within marriage - for purposes of both procreation and pleasure. I believe that people having sex too early and with multiple partners is hurting society. Population growth wouldn't be so much of a problem if the children were being brought into intact households.