• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the death penalty right?

Do you think the death penalty is right?

• yes

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 55 54.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters
I'm not sure if any of that really makes a whole lot of difference. I haven't read all the posts but I don't think anyone here is suggesting vigilantism (think I spelled that wrong) or suggesting extreme methods of execution. The original wording of the post was "is the death penalty right."

What do you mean by what you said? Is it really important to you that all of that gets taken into account? I guess I don't really consider every possible angle.

Ciscokid

You can tell there are a way more liberals here than conservatives [i knew that already]. When the public at large is polled the stats are the opposite...interesting.

Fluffy

A fool
I'd be ok with people opposing the death penalty as long as those folks paid the costs to have murderers sit in jail. I doubt I'll see any hands raised in favor of that however.

Undoubtably because life imprisonment is pointless. If that is all you are going to do then you might as well string them up and have done with it.

Now if you are talking about footing the bill of rehabilitation then I would be quite happy to pay a portion of my wages, through taxation, for such a cause and I would expect the same from everybody. As I said previously, money is a non-issue for me when it comes to human life.

I think the death penalty is barbaric but I agree it might be necessary for a few unusually barbaric crimes. Really if you think about it there are some people who would really benefit from death....like violent serial killers with no concience.
Everybody can be saved. Nobody is special in that respect.

Surely turning the other cheek is superior to taking our pound of flesh? At that is only the bare minimum that the alternative hopes to offer. We are talking about turning these people around so that they might at least make some progress towards redeeming their actions.

You can tell there are a way more liberals here than conservatives [i knew that already]. When the public at large is polled the stats are the opposite...interesting.

Actually I think you will find that this is because this is not a forum entirely made up of Americans. Of the developed countries, only two have the death penalty and since we do not have a large Japanese membership, any poll with equal numbers of American conservatives and liberals together with liberals and conservatives outside of America will be skewed towards having no death penalty. It is probably more of a cultural thing than political.

Fluffy said:
Now if you are talking about footing the bill of rehabilitation then I would be quite happy to pay a portion of my wages, through taxation, for such a cause and I would expect the same from everybody. As I said previously, money is a non-issue for me when it comes to human life.

Everybody can be saved. Nobody is special in that respect.

Everybody can be saved...I hope so. Have you considered the possibility that some have chosen not to?

Fluffy

A fool
Everybody can be saved...I hope so. Have you considered the possibility that some have chosen not to?

I don't believe in free will. People can be manipulated into doing pretty much anything and if that includes no longer having a need to go on a killing spree and being repentent of past crimes then I fully intend to use that to my advantage. Given the right external influences, a man will not "choose" damnation.

Fluffy

A fool
Then what gives you your ability not to belive in free will?

It is an aspect of me that is determined via millions of inputs just like every other aspect.

The Lord Jesus didn't say it was wrong when the theif was on the cross beside him.
That is true I suppose but Jesus does not go on record decrying the genocides committed by Rome either. Given that he was severely wounded, suffering from lack of food, sleep and water and that the importance of the resurrection was much greater than such concerns, perhaps we should not expect him to have condemned crucifixtion?

Besides, I doubt that even amongst Christian advocates of the death penalty very many wish to bring back crucifixtion as a method of implementing their policy.

thuban

a big YES to the death penalty. There have been mistakes that have been made in the past, largely due to the legal system, which has major loopholes (atleast here in the UK where we follow case law- get yourself a good solicitor).

The death penalty is justified, ask yourself this, if the following had happened to a close relative of yours or a family member, and YOU were the Judge, what would YOUR verdict be?

UK July 2001
Peter Voisey admitts indecent assault to a girl of 12 and is convicted (unfortunately there is no death penalty in the UK, and he was soon released)

UK December 2005
This time he strikes at a house in blyth, where he abducts a 6 year old (by the way, do you happen to know any 6 year olds), from here home, while she was in the bath. He then sexually abuses her... twice and leaves her naked in an alley.

(full story bbc )

If I were the judge in 2001 I would consider suicide (although not permissable in Islam). If the above happened to a family member of yours and you were able to forgive them, THEN I would like to meet you, and tell you that you have done yourselves a great service by not being submissive to the desires of your ego and and seeking revenge.

I would then then tell you how much you disgust me, and how it makes me feel physically sick that you have done such a great disservice to Justice.

kai

ragamuffin
to take away a life to extinguish it, who or what can give you the right to do that ,to show other people not to do the same as you or you will do it to them, no i am against it, you cant undo it once its done. to be incarcerated for life is a far more devastating punishment. the deterrence factor is debateable

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I used to be very much opposed to the death penalty. Over the years, I've kind of changed my mind. I am now in favor of it in certain instances.

Navigator

diemjay said:
The opposite has happened to me. I used to support it but now I oppose it entirely.

+1
If it is the law then I support it, but I wonder who is qualified to correctly justify taking human life regardless of the crime. I do not want to be judged according to that same measure, so I would never condemn someone to death.

Asalgado

i oppose the death penalty, because although that accused may have taken a life, we are also commiting a wrong by taking his life.

Ori

Angel slayer
Katzpur said:
I used to be very much opposed to the death penalty. Over the years, I've kind of changed my mind. I am now in favor of it in certain instances.

I might actually agree with you on that.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
jewscout said:
I said yes because, frankly, i think there are some people out there who deserve something worse than death, but since cruel and unusual is still prohibited in the land i would have to go w/ the death penalty....cold blooded murderers, rapists, child molestors...i say string 'em up!

I agree with that.