• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the name "Muhammad" holy?

gnostic

The Lost One
Is the name "Muhammad" or any of the variation of spelling his name, considered holy?

I am not talking about the prophet himself. :no: I just want to know if the name people used, eg. naming a son with a name that their prophet used.

Is misuse of the name considered blasphemous?

In the teddy-bear incidence, 2 years ago, where a boy named a stuff-toy as Muhammad, the British female teacher was arrested and charge with blasphemy. Angry Sudanese Muslims wanted her dead. The Islamic law considered this to be reason enough for public lashing or imprisonment. The boy's name was also Mohammed, have tried to defend the teacher and he said he named the teddy bear after himself, not the prophet, but no one listened to the boy. There was no insult meant, it was simply innocent mistake. Luckily she was set free.

You would think that the name Muhammad or Mohammed is so common in Muslim societies that you would think it to be harmless to name a toy by the prophet's name. The name Jesus and Moses are no where as near as common as Muhammad (or other variations).

If the name is so holy, then why do just about every Muslim families would name at least one son as Muhammad?

There are even people using a boy's name Islam. There are political parties or other organisations that use the name Islam. Is that not considered blamphemous?

Are some Muslims being overly sensitive or not?

Last edited:

ProudMuslim

In Islam we worship no one but the Creator. Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) is the prophet of Islam who we love, respect and follow but we don't consider him divine and therefore his name is not holy but respected.

Now why did the naming of a doll caused all this uproar? I don't know. I believe most Muslims will not mind that at all since the kid is naming his doll after a person he loves. It was clearly not an action of hostility or disrespect from the teacher's wide.

The problem these days is that many Muslims, the ones who appear in the media, seem not to know who is their enemy and how to react. That is in addition to the spread of illiteracy, poverty and the straying away from Islamic teachings and applying traditional teachings from our end and Islamophobia propaganda from the opposing end cause misunderstanding and misinterpretation of Islam.

Islam is perfect, Muslims are not.

gnostic

The Lost One
ProudMuslim said:
In Islam we worship no one but the Creator. Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) is the prophet of Islam who we love, respect and follow but we don't consider him divine and therefore his name is not holy but respected.

Now why did the naming of a doll caused all this uproar? I don't know. I believe most Muslims will not mind that at all since the kid is naming his doll after a person he loves. It was clearly not an action of hostility or disrespect from the teacher's wide.

That's what I thought too.

From what I can remember, the parents turned up supporting the British teachers. It was the law, or the legal system, and the ministry of education that wanted her punished, and they inflamed the situation, with the ridiculous charge of blasphemy, inciting the fanatical mobs, by citing that she had broke Sharia law, so she required either flogging or imprisonment (or both). The mobs wanted her dead.

ProudMuslim

That's what I thought too.

From what I can remember, the parents turned up supporting the British teachers. It was the law, or the legal system, and the ministry of education that wanted her punished, and they inflamed the situation, with the ridiculous charge of blasphemy, inciting the fanatical mobs, by citing that she had broke Sharia law, so she required either flogging or imprisonment (or both). The mobs wanted her dead.

I think in the end they released her without inflicting upon her any punishment, right? Which of course was the right thing to do. That incident was petty, but must've been scary for the teacher who seemed respectful of the culture.

gnostic

The Lost One
ProudMuslim said:
I think in the end they released her without inflicting upon her any punishment, right?
Yes.

ProudMuslim said:
Which of course was the right thing to do.

Which shouldn't have happened in the 1st place.

ProudMuslim said:
That incident was petty, but must've been scary for the teacher who seemed respectful of the culture.

Petty, yes. But also it was also mean to arrest a helpless woman, who has been trying to help them by educating the children.

I think it was also to show that they have the power to arrest any Western for doing harmless thing, simply because they like threatening foreigners. I also think it was to intimidate women, because she was working as a volunteer. The Sudanese government is not paying a single cent for her as a teacher, and yet they think can traumatise someone without consequences to themselves.

There is agenda here, similar to the Talibans. They don't want women to have careers; to them women are only to service them, such as taking care of their homes, and for breeding purpose.

The Sudanese goverment used militia to rape and murder women and children. And you know what the strangest thing. The women they raped, they also torture them with flogging because they the women have committed adultery after they were raped by the soldiers. That's Sharia Law, Sudanese style.

gnostic

The Lost One
ProudMuslim said:
I think in the end they released her without inflicting upon her any punishment, right?
Yes.

ProudMuslim said:
Which of course was the right thing to do.

ProudMuslim said:
That incident was petty, but must've been scary for the teacher who seemed respectful of the culture.

Petty, yes. But also it was also mean to arrest a helpless woman, who has been trying to help them by educating the children.

I think it was also to show that they have the power to arrest any Western for doing harmless thing, simply because they like threatening foreigners. I also think it was to intimidate women, because she was working as a volunteer. The Sudanese government is not paying a single cent for her as a teacher, and yet they think can traumatise someone without consequences to themselves.

There is agenda here, similar to the Talibans. They don't want women to have careers; to them women are only to service them, such as taking care of their homes, and for breeding purpose.

The Sudanese government used militia to rape and murder women and children. And you know what the strangest thing. The women they raped, they also torture them with flogging because they the women have committed adultery after they were raped by the soldiers. The militiamen on the other hand don't even get arrested for looting, raping and murder. That's Sharia Law working for you, Sudanese style.

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Is the name "Muhammad" or any of the variation of spelling his name, considered holy?

I am not talking about the prophet himself. :no: I just want to know if the name people used, eg. naming a son with a name that their prophet used.

Is misuse of the name considered blasphemous?

In the teddy-bear incidence, 2 years ago, where a boy named a stuff-toy as Muhammad, the British female teacher was arrested and charge with blasphemy. Angry Sudanese Muslims wanted her dead. The Islamic law considered this to be reason enough for public lashing or imprisonment. The boy's name was also Mohammed, have tried to defend the teacher and he said he named the teddy bear after himself, not the prophet, but no one listened to the boy. There was no insult meant, it was simply innocent mistake. Luckily she was set free.

You would think that the name Muhammad or Mohammed is so common in Muslim societies that you would think it to be harmless to name a toy by the prophet's name. The name Jesus and Moses are no where as near as common as Muhammad (or other variations).

If the name is so holy, then why do just about every Muslim families would name at least one son as Muhammad?

There are even people using a boy's name Islam. There are political parties or other organisations that use the name Islam. Is that not considered blamphemous?

Are some Muslims being overly sensitive or not?

my thought on this are that we use names of good people, strong believers of islam suh as any of the prophets,or even the names of Allah. we use them so that the child who has that name may become sort of the same to the person who owned that name, but it must be done with all intentions that the child should be like the person who owned the name.

i just recently became an uncle for the 6'th time i think and my nephew got named after one of the names of Allah "Abdul Besir' meaning "the slave of the All Seer" and on the very first moment he was born his eyes were as much open as mine, he just looks at everyone, just stares, i'm not saying that he is god, or he will see everything even the unseen, but i'm saying that he became just as what the intention was, wich was to be the slave of the All Seer.

but the name Muhammed is not holy, but the person who owned ti was a good man, so we name our children after him so they too can become good people some day, if Allah permits it. and muhammed (saws) also had other names, but this is the most common one used. others are Emin, Mustafa, Ahmed and some others.

yousaf

Yes.

The Sudanese government used militia to rape and murder women and children. And you know what the strangest thing. The women they raped, they also torture them with flogging because they the women have committed adultery after they were raped by the soldiers. The militiamen on the other hand don't even get arrested for looting, raping and murder. That's Sharia Law working for you, Sudanese style.

thats sharia law manipulated again you are using muslims as example for islam, if you want to know what sharia law says look it up research from the proper sources. the woman who was raped nothing will happen to her, the man who did it would be put to death

gnostic

The Lost One
eselam said:
but the name Muhammed is not holy, but the person who owned ti was a good man, so we name our children after him so they too can become good people some day, if Allah permits it.

:yes: I can understand why people want to name their sons after the prophet.

But if a child named a stuff animal with Muhammad or Mohommed, like the incidence with boy and the school teacher, do you think that such usage of the name to be sacrilege, and warrant the arrest for blasphemy?

My view on blasphemy is when you misuse the name of a god. The Sudanese arrested a woman (not because she named the toy) for blasphemy to Muhammad's name.

Despite Muhammad being a prophet, he is still human. Can authority arrest someone for blasphemy of the prophet?

By linking Muhammad to blasphemy, aren't Muslims associating Muhammad as being more than human and a prophet?

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
:yes: I can understand why people want to name their sons after the prophet.

But if a child named a stuff animal with Muhammad or Mohommed, like the incidence with boy and the school teacher, do you think that such usage of the name to be sacrilege, and warrant the arrest for blasphemy?

My view on blasphemy is when you misuse the name of a god. The Saudi arrested a woman (not because she named the toy) for blasphemy to Muhammad's name.

Despite Muhammad being a prophet, he is still human. Can authority arrest someone for blasphemy of the prophet?

By linking Muhammad to blasphemy, aren't Muslims associating Muhammad as being more than human and a prophet?

in relation to that incident. i seriously do not think that the teacher should have been arrested or what ever happened to her. the reason being this;
first of all if anyone was to blame it should be the people who empleyed her, she is a person who isn't a muslim, so it is not her fault for not knowing about the importance of our prophet.
second, the chiled who named the tedy bear, is just a child, the teacher didn't tell him to name the tedy bear, nor could she tell him no, because he is just a child.

but over all that was a big mistake that they did, they shoulden't have empleyed a non muslim teacher to tech their children, so i blame them insted of the teacher.

because if i were to teach some christian children and someone named a tedy bear Jesus, i would allow it, the reason being ht echild name it after his lord or something, meaning they love their lord.

thats my view anyway.

gnostic

The Lost One
The boy (Mohammed) tried to explain that he named the toy after himself, which is "Mohammed", but none of the authorities would accept the child's explanation.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
The boy (Mohammed) tried to explain that he named the toy after himself, which is "Mohammed", but none of the authorities would accept the child's explanation.

look it really doesn't matter, people just over react to little things. it shouldn't have happened the way it did but anyways, its in the past. it's gone.

gnostic

The Lost One
eselam said:
look it really doesn't matter, people just over react to little things. it shouldn't have happened the way it did but anyways, its in the past. it's gone.

I'd agree that it is over and done with.

But the incidence with the teddy bear's name is not the real reason for the post; it is just an example I was using because of how people react what they perceived or considered to be wrong.

The real reason for this topic being -

• Should people treat the name "Muhammad" or other variations of spelling, as "holy"?
  • Should someone be held accountable for the mis-use of such name?
Anyway, you have answered my questions satifactory...and I would give you frubals if RF allowed me too. :shrug:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I'd agree that it is over and done with.

But the incidence with the teddy bear's name is not the reason for the post; it is just an example of how people react what they perceived or considered to be wrong.

The real reason for this topic being -

• Should people treat the name "Muhammad" or other variations of spelling, as "holy"?
  • Should someone be held accountable for the mis-use of such name?

well another thing that might relate to this is the cartoon of Muhammed (saws) now all the muslims have a right to get angry for that.

Anyway, you have answered my questions satifactory...and I would give you frubals if RF allowed me too. :shrug:

badluck for me i guess :sad4:, but thanks anyway.

gnostic

The Lost One
eselam said:
badluck for me i guess
sad4.gif
, but thanks anyway.

I gave you frubals for the "True Islam" thread, and for some reason, I can't give you more, until I've spread the frubals around first.

eselam said:
well another thing that might relate to this is the cartoon of Muhammed (saws) now all the muslims have a right to get angry for that.

Upset, yes. Anger, yes. Protests, yes.

Riots, no. Destruction of properties, no. Death threat, absolutely not. Murder, an empathetic :no:.

A Christian nun was murdered in Syria because of the cartoon. She had absolutely nothing to do with the cartoons, but she was murdered because she was a Christian. It is absolute lunacy to murder a woman, who was living on another continent and have no idea why she was being murdered.

People have the rights to be offended, but not to take the law into their own hands, and commit murder.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I gave you frubals for the "True Islam" thread, and for some reason, I can't give you more, until I've spread the frubals around first.

yes thanks for those.

Upset, yes. Anger, yes. Protests, yes.

Riots, no. Destruction of properties, no. Death threat, absolutely not. Murder, an empathetic :no:.

well actually we may have a right to have him killed by the government, but i don't know what islam says about it. but i personally would have his head off, for doing that. everyone knows that we love or prophet, so he was just provoking the muslims, and Allah hates those who provoke, as stated in the quran.

A Christian nun was murdered in Syria because of the cartoon. She had absolutely nothing to do with the cartoons, but she was murdered because she was a Christian. It is absolute lunacy to murder a woman, who was living on another continent and have no idea why she was being murdered.

People have the rights to be offended, but not to take the law into their own hands, and commit murder.

tolled you that people over react. the poor woman has nothing to do with it, but we muslims do get very offended if someone makes fun of Allah and the prophet. you don't see us muslims making fun of jesus or moses or what ever other religions believe. we know that it is very offencive. just as it is to us.