• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the President of the USA a Surrogate Monarch?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
I wouldn't think so because his/her power is limited by and equal balance of power shared by Congress and the Supreme Court. A monarch usually inherits their position and there are no term limits. So I would say no.

PureX

Veteran Member
No. Although our current president seems to imagine that he was elected king of the United States.

blackout

Violet.
more or less, and for all intents and purposes... yes.

Until the "little people" en mass,
(one individual at a time)
decide they no longer want/"need" the elite
to "rule" (design/measure/run) their world for them...
they will (continue to do so).
It is after all the modus operandi of the elite to run and rule the world en mass.

The elite are masters of disguise and manipulation...
and the little people live afraid
and with aparant lack of (personal) resource(s).
Most people are happy enough with the "horse and pony" shows,
as they scramble for enough "points" (money)
to hold their little stash "secure".
But it's all so completely futile.
Looking to the elite for security,
is like looking to the pirates for safety.
Looking to the elite for meaning,
is like turning your ear to "babble" for sense.

And so it goes.
Dress it in whichever vestments you will,
Call it by any other name.......

a rogue is still a rogue.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Seems to be some variation in views here.

Do you think, as a person, he's thought of or treated similar to a monarch?

PureX

Veteran Member
I believe that there are a lot of people who innately gravitate toward authority pyramids. They are comforted in knowing that there's a strong chain of authority and in knowing where they are in that chain. These folks tend to automatically capitulate to those "above them" in the authority chain, and they become very uncomfortable when confronted by the idea that authority is an illusion, and everyone is ultimately an autonomous being. I think these kinds of people automatically treat those that they feel are above them in the authority chain as their "betters" not because of the superior quality of these "betters" but because they inhabit a higher place on the chain, as with some medieval monarchy.

I think these folks respond to politicians as though they were monarchs because they find comfort in the idea of a strong authority pyramid.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Rhetoric speaks to people and it's far easier to try and call Bush a monarch, or say Bush claims to be one than it is to actually read and grasp basic U.S. civics.
Well the reason I ask is because, since I'm not a citizen of the USA, the only information I get on how Americans think is usually through second or third party means. I posted this thread after watching "The Sum of All Fears", in that film, and in others like Independence Day, the TV show 24 etc, the President is treated much like a Monarch would be over here.

He's safety is the priority above all else, in the Sum of All Fears he is rushed from a stadium with a bomb in it, leaving the other 50,000 people to explode without any apparent attempt to save them - later on the President character exclaims "they tried to kill me!" referring back to the stadium incident, seemingly ignoring the thousands of ordinary people killed.
Obviously these are just films and TV shows, but since it's such a common theme I figured there must be something about it that appeals to the American people. We don't really have those type of films involving our Prime Minister over here, but we do have stories, films and commemorated historical events (Guy Fawkes Night) where the Monarch fulfills the same role as the President does in American films and stories.

So, I'm not really asking about the politics as much as I am about the way he's seen by the general public.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Well, I certainly have heard enough concerns about the Imperial Presidency recently.

It's not so much we have a monarchy, but our system does seem to be very out of balance due to Congress' increasing refusal to assert its authority for several decades at least.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Obviously these are just films and TV shows, but since it's such a common theme I figured there must be something about it that appeals to the American people. We don't really have those type of films involving our Prime Minister over here, but we do have stories, films and commemorated historical events (Guy Fawkes Night) where the Monarch fulfills the same role as the President does in American films and stories.

Well, I do think Americans see the Prez as somehow harder to replace than the PM is seen in the UK.

And you gotta admit, it sure does take us a looong time to choose one.

There may be something to the notion that y'all have the Queen to look to as a single individual, while Parliament goes about it's business. But the only single individual we have is the Prez to attach whatever we want to, whether good or ill.

Somehow I don't think that's what the Founding Dads had in mind, but it does seem to be somehow related to humans' way of focusing on things, political or otherwise.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well the reason I ask is because, since I'm not a citizen of the USA, the only information I get on how Americans think is usually through second or third party means. I posted this thread after watching "The Sum of All Fears", in that film, and in others like Independence Day, the TV show 24 etc, the President is treated much like a Monarch would be over here.

He's safety is the priority above all else, in the Sum of All Fears he is rushed from a stadium with a bomb in it, leaving the other 50,000 people to explode without any apparent attempt to save them - later on the President character exclaims "they tried to kill me!" referring back to the stadium incident, seemingly ignoring the thousands of ordinary people killed.

So, I'm not really asking about the politics as much as I am about the way he's seen by the general public.

Well, it has always seemed to me that our culture thinks the patriotic (it's a big fear to appear unpatriotic) thing to do is laud the president as some larger-than-life, virtuous, heroic and infallible figure (as long as they're rightwing, since anything left of center is seen as "communist" and "unamerican"). I've even heard some conservatives state that it's treasonous to even question or criticize the president (again, unless of course they're liberal).

Yoda

Jedi Master
We have in the US what is known as a constitutional goverment. The forefathers or founders set up the constitution in such a way that no one man would have complete power...I would not consider President Bush a Monarch, right now his popularity is not very high.........

Booko

Deviled Hen
We have in the US what is known as a constitutional goverment. The forefathers or founders set up the constitution in such a way that no one man would have complete power...I would not consider President Bush a Monarch, right now his popularity is not very high.........

Nice in theory, but there are some people who question whether the Constitution hasn't been seriously damaged in practice, and while many such consider the last 7 years the worst example, the usually look back through administrations from both parties.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
There may be something to the notion that y'all have the Queen to look to as a single individual, while Parliament goes about it's business. But the only single individual we have is the Prez to attach whatever we want to, whether good or ill.
Yeah, that's the impression I get, but like I say I only have American media to base that on, hence the thread.

SERVANTOFSET said:
How do you compare our Queen with george Bush?
I'm not really trying to, and certainly not to any President in particular, just trying to get a sense of the role he plays in society from actual people, rather than just films and TV.

So far I'd have to say I'm still unsure. :D