• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the term "Judeo-Christian" in describing America's values simply political correctness?

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
From my reading, the term came into prominent use in the United States during the 1940s. Is this country really built on Jewish values? How many Jews helped write the Constitution or sign the Declaration of Independence? While we were a fledgling republic, how often did rabbinical teachings serve as the backbone of our country's morals? Obviously, what Christians call the Old Testament, which aside from some translation variations is known as the Hebrew Bible, was a huge factor in our country's development. However, it was read and interpreted from a Christian perspective. Is the term "Judeo-Christian" simply an attempt to appease the small but very powerful Jewish minority in America?

edit: Upon reflection, I realize I owe our Jewish brothers and sisters an apology for the accusatory tone in some of my posts. Suspicions do not equal facts. Regarding the usage of "Judeo-Christian", for the sake of people's protection it would be best not to point fingers or speculate on motives. People of all backgrounds use the term "Judeo-Christian" so all share in the blame of its usage. I believe the term paints a misleading picture about the foundation of this country, the country my forefathers helped build. It's a sensitive issue for me because the history of this country is the history of my ancestors. My very identity is wrapped up in this issue. I believe the term's usage rewrites history, whether intended or not. We're all in this together though, so let's try to make it work. I love all you guys, even though I know I don't always show it as much as I should. Peace.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As I understand it, certain notions of social justice originating in Judaism have played a significant role in American history. Especially, but not limited to, the Progressive Movement of the late 1800s, and the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s.

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
From my reading, the term came into prominent use in the United States during the 1940s. Is this country really built on Jewish values? How many Jews helped write the Constitution or sign the Declaration of Independence? While we were a fledgling republic, how often did rabbinical teachings serve as the backbone of our country's morals? Obviously, what Christians call the Old Testament, which aside from some translation variations is known as the Hebrew Bible, was a huge factor in our country's development. However, it was read and interpreted from a Christian perspective. Is the term "Judeo-Christian" simply an attempt to appease the small but very powerful Jewish minority in America?

First of all, I think there's little likelihood of there being much need for "appeasing" the Jewish minority; and any time someone uses terms like "small but very powerful Jewish minority in America" that might need "appeasing," it makes me suspicious of conspiracy theory overtones. Probably little use in pursuing the "appeasement" line of thought.

But as to the idea of "Judaeo-Christian values," I'll go you one better: the whole term "Judaeo-Christian" is a load of crap. There's Judaism and there's Christianity, and while they may have some shared history, they are not the same thing, and not even similar. Attempts to conflate the two pretty much inevitably mean that what is meant is Christianity, and someone decided to try and throw the Jews a bone by making the term sound inclusive. Because usually, "Judaeo-Christian" beliefs end up being Christian beliefs. "Judaeo-Christian scriptures" end up being Christian translations and interpretations of Jewish texts (or worse, sometimes just out-and-out Christian scriptures). "Judaeo-Christian theology" is even worse, since Christian and Jewish theologies are not actually compatible. And, inevitably, "Judaeo-Christian values" more or less never actually reflects Jewish values (although, to be fair, according to my minister friends, they often don't reflect Christian values particularly well, either).

We'd all be much better off if we got rid of the phrase "Judaeo-Christian." It's never accurate, it's usually impossible, and saying it just detracts from how many things in America are Christian-focused.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
But as to the idea of "Judaeo-Christian values," I'll go you one better: the whole term "Judaeo-Christian" is a load of crap. There's Judaism and there's Christianity, and while they may have some shared history, they are not the same thing, and not even similar. Attempts to conflate the two pretty much inevitably mean that what is meant is Christianity, and someone decided to try and throw the Jews a bone by making the term sound inclusive. Because usually, "Judaeo-Christian" beliefs end up being Christian beliefs. "Judaeo-Christian scriptures" end up being Christian translations and interpretations of Jewish texts (or worse, sometimes just out-and-out Christian scriptures). "Judaeo-Christian theology" is even worse, since Christian and Jewish theologies are not actually compatible. And, inevitably, "Judaeo-Christian values" more or less never actually reflects Jewish values (although, to be fair, according to my minister friends, they often don't reflect Christian values particularly well, either).

Yeah, I had noticed that as well; it's a poorly conceived attempt at a catch-all term that ends up overgeneralizing to a terrible extent. "Judaeo-Christian-Islamic" is even worse. About the only thing these three faiths reliably have in common is drawing inspiration from the Bible and a general tendency to follow classical monotheism or something similar to it. Inclusivity is all well and good, but when it obscures very real differences, there's a danger to that.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yeah, I had noticed that as well; it's a poorly conceived attempt at a catch-all term that ends up overgeneralizing to a terrible extent. "Judaeo-Christian-Islamic" is even worse. About the only thing these three faiths reliably have in common is drawing inspiration from the Bible and a general tendency to follow classical monotheism or something similar to it. Inclusivity is all well and good, but when it obscures very real differences, there's a danger to that.

I prefer the term "Abrahamic" since they all claim descent from Abraham.

E. Nato Difficile

The notion that the USA was "founded on Judeo-Christian principles" is a fundie canard. Secularism, egalitarianism, and representative democracy were products of the Enlightenment program. And the Founding Fathers were all deists, which meant they were not religious but knew that they'd be expected to pay lip service to the beliefs of their pious populace. Plus ça change...

-Nato

cablescavenger

From my reading, the term came into prominent use in the United States during the 1940s. Is this country really built on Jewish values?
What are Jewish values?

How many Jews helped write the Constitution or sign the Declaration of Independence? While we were a fledgling republic, how often did rabbinical teachings serve as the backbone of our country's morals? Obviously, what Christians call the Old Testament, which aside from some translation variations is known as the Hebrew Bible, was a huge factor in our country's development. However, it was read and interpreted from a Christian perspective. Is the term "Judeo-Christian" simply an attempt to appease the small but very powerful Jewish minority in America?

Probably.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
This is antisemitic tripe. Nothing less.

And this is manipulation. It's just an old tactic used by certain people groups, usually minorites, to exercise control of others. The tactic is simple: create an ambigious line that once crossed somehow results in one being labeled "anti-semetic" or "racist". Since no one really knows where that line exists, people are terrified to even open their mouths for fear of inadvertently crossing it. In this way people are silenced. In fact, terror regimes have always operated under similar principles to strike fear in their subjects except they use guns instead of highly charged labels.

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think it is absurd to think you can separate the "Judeo" from the "Christian" given the fact that the majority of the Christian Bible is the Hebrew Bible. The theology, mythology, and ethos of Christianity comes directly from Judaism. To separate them at this point (or at founding of the United States) is just impossible.

As to why someone would want to try to separate them, I think Jay hit the nail on the head.

gnomon

I think it's nonsense much like the rest of the mid-20th century attempts to simplify U.S. history into a narrow view. Specifically a narrow view created by a minority of Christians with a lot of political power.

edit: I'd have to agree with Jay and fantome as well.

no-body

Is this country really built on Jewish values?

To be fair it isn't built on Christian values either.

I believe the term is referring to the ten commandments.

The phrase is anti Semitic to begin with, good job taking it to a whole new level there.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If he had asked if this country was founded on Christian values, would you be so quick to brand him as a bigot?
No, nor would I have labeled it antisemitic tripe had he said that the country was founded on pizza. But the spectre of people cowering before and currying favor with a powerful yet insignificant Jewish minority that is driving the national narrative from behind the scenes is a well worn and disgusting antisemitic theme.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
No, nor would I have labeled it antisemitic tripe had he said that the country was founded on pizza. But the spectre of people cowering before and currying favor with a powerful yet insignificant Jewish minority that is driving the national narrative from behind the scenes is a well worn and disgusting antisemitic theme.

To be fair, people of Ashkenazi Jewish descent are well-documented to be overrepresented in many influential areas of society. But whatever conclusion is meant to be drawn from that is unclear.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
To be fair, people of Ashkenazi Jewish descent are well-documented to be overrepresented in many influential areas of society.

If I've ever heard something smacking of conspiracy theories, that would certainly be one.

Just what exactly is your evidence for that statement?

As for its being a fair statement, saying that a specific ethnic group is "overrepresented in many influential areas of society" sounds like bigotry to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
And you seem to be enthusiastically intent on being fair to antisemitic tripe. I'm surre the author of the OP appreciates your support.

Call it what you want. It's just reality, and all the smear terms in the world aren't going to change that. I'm not in favor of denying the blatantly obvious in order to kowtow to some people's overtly-sensitive feelings about the subject.