• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Universe. . .

ChrisP

Veteran Member
. . . In Equilibrium?

Equilibrium: A condition in which all acting influences are canceled by others, resulting in a stable, balanced, or unchanging system.

The amount of energy contained within the universe can never lessen or grow. Merely change form.

If you were outside of the Universe, would it appear to be in equilibrium?

Does this affect your mentality, knowing that whatever energy or effort you make, it will all be balanced out and therefore without point?

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
My beliefs

When you offset the balence, there is a force that realigns everything, the problem is the one who pays the price or gets the reward is not nessicarily you.

Flappycat

I don't care whether the universe is impressed with me or not anymore than I care whether or not I am capable of acheiving flight by flapping my arms vigorously. If I discover that it is even vaguely within my capacity, I might or might not pursue the challenge, but, as it is, whatever and a resounding yawn. I'll stick to impressing myself and others with the challenges which exist within the context of what I can affect.

syoonsh

ChrisP said:
. . . In Equilibrium?

Equilibrium: A condition in which all acting influences are canceled by others, resulting in a stable, balanced, or unchanging system.

The amount of energy contained within the universe can never lessen or grow. Merely change form.

If you were outside of the Universe, would it appear to be in equilibrium?

Does this affect your mentality, knowing that whatever energy or effort you make, it will all be balanced out and therefore without point?
Chris, I do have some other concerns. Calling "UNIVERSE" is a FIGURE OF SPEECH. It just exist on our thinking. Before long time ago, when words, sentences, languages were created, our ancestors do not have to think that they are living in a UNIVERSE because they don't know the word "UNIVERSE" until they make something from thinking.
this is one of the main reason why they lived couple of hundred years old, because at that time, thinking was very simple compare to our today's society. Compare to our today's society, every where we go, everywhere we see, everywhere we hear is comes from thinking, because of due to many thinkings, our life gets shorter then before.
I am just letting you know that this is part of Buddah's teaching.

ch'ang

artist in training
Chris, I do have some other concerns. Calling "UNIVERSE" is a FIGURE OF SPEECH. It just exist on our thinking. Before long time ago, when words, sentences, languages were created, our ancestors do not have to think that they are living in a UNIVERSE because they don't know the word "UNIVERSE" until they make something from thinking.
this is one of the main reason why they lived couple of hundred years old, because at that time, thinking was very simple compare to our today's society. Compare to our today's society, every where we go, everywhere we see, everywhere we hear is comes from thinking, because of due to many thinkings, our life gets shorter then before.
I am just letting you know that this is part of Buddah's teaching.
Just wondering but do perceive thinking as bad?

The universe is not in equilibrium per se, though it is approaching equilibrium. The universe is, however, believed to be isotropic, meaning no part of the universe is significantly different or "special".

Super Universe

Defender of God
Scientist debated for decades whether the universe was open or closed. In an open universe all the matter separates at such a speed that the gravity between is not enough to keep everything from flying away. Eventually the suns burn out and everything becomes cold and dead.

In a closed universe all the matter separate at a reduced speed. All the matter is gently slowed by gravity until it actually reverses direction and falls inward again to form a giant black hole.

But when the scientists developed better instruments to detect whether the universe was open or closed do you know what they found?

It was flat. Neither open nor closed. Perfectly in the middle. Stable.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I'm not sure about that Spinks...

There has been a growing vacuum in the Whitehouse for some time. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mr Spinkles said:
The universe is not in equilibrium per se, though it is approaching equilibrium. The universe is, however, believed to be isotropic, meaning no part of the universe is significantly different or "special".
Au contraire, my dear Spinks: I myself am very special. My mother told me so.

Faint

ChrisP said:
No, because as long as I have a good time, that's all that matters. Happiness is the point, and even if that is balanced with unhappiness, the pursuit of it is still worthwhile.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Faint said:
No, because as long as I have a good time, that's all that matters. Happiness is the point, and even if that is balanced with unhappiness, the pursuit of it is still worthwhile.
Are least your consistant and honest...:)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Faint said:
Fair enough. This thread is more a ponderance than a serious consideration, but thankyou for your thoughts.