• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There A Direct Experience of God?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Through out the ages, people living in many different societies have claimed to have had a direct, unmediated experience of God. What do you make of these claims? Are the people who make them all deluded? Are they mistaken? Or, do some people, in fact, have a direct, unmediated experience of God?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I find the claims interesting....but how can I know for sure if these experiences are in fact from God? I'm taking the person's word for it....which is fine. But, if they tell me I shall go to hell for not believing in their experience, my ears are closed immediately.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
depends on what you mean by unmediated. I think that mortal contact with God must be mediated by the Spirit or else you would be comsumed by the glory of God.

So I believe Moses saw God face to face while transfigured by the Spirit, same with Joseph Smith, and most likely Peter James and John on the mount of transfiguration.

So yes I think the above along with others have seen God.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Suppose someone "sees God". How would one know that was not a delusion? How would one know that was not merely a product of some brain dysfunction?

Does the fact that so many people have "seen God" make it any less likely that their experiences are delusions?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Sunstone said:
Suppose someone "sees God". How would one know that was not a delusion? How would one know that was not merely a product of some brain dysfunction?

Philosophically speaking (think metaphysics) there is no way to know that anything you "see" is not a product of a brain dysfunction including the computer screen (see brain in a vat thought exercise, and I guess the matrix for a more simple portrayal).

Religiously speaking, I believe we have a spirit body within our physical body and the Spirit of God (Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost) can communicate directly to our spirit the truthfulness of a certain experience/thought/moment.

BruceDLimber

Hi, Sun!

According to the Baha'i Faith and its scriptures, direct knowledge of God is simply impossible.

The only knowledge we have of Him is what the Divine Messengers He has sent have taught us.

Regards,

Bruce

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
BruceDLimber said:
Hi, Sun!

According to the Baha'i Faith and its scriptures, direct knowledge of God is simply impossible.

The only knowledge we have of Him is what the Divine Messengers He has sent have taught us.

Regards,

Bruce

do Baha'i believe in the bible?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
BruceDLimber said:
Hi, Sun!

Regards,

Bruce

Do the Divine Messangers themselves have a direct experience of deity?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Does the fact that so many people have "seen God" make it any less likely that their experiences are delusions?
Who has claimed to "see" God ? I know of very few instances where people have claimed to see God. They may "see" Jesus or angels or other heavenly beings or feel a message is from God perhaps?

What would make it seem less delusional to me is how closely I know them personally. If my husband or one of my best friends told me of such an experience, I would be more likely to believe them than a stranger.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Buttercup said:
Who has claimed to "see" God ? I know of very few instances where people have claimed to see God. They may "see" Jesus or angels or other heavenly beings or feel a message is from God perhaps?

What would make it seem less delusional to me is how closely I know them personally. If my husband or one of my best friends told me of such an experience, I would be more likely to believe them than a stranger.

The literature is full of people who have claimed to see God. Innumerable Hindus, for instance. Many Western mystics. Folks on drugs, too. By far, most of the folks who have claimed to see God are not famous, have not founded religions, nor even attempted to found religions.

Ozzie

Sunstone said:
The literature is full of people who have claimed to see God. Innumerable Hindus, for instance. Many Western mystics. Folks on drugs, too. By far, most of the folks who have claimed to see God are not famous, have not founded religions, nor even attempted to found religions.

I would be suspicious of any claim to have "seen God" though I am a sceptic at heart. Any claim to have found God is likely polluted by preconceived notions of what God is like. I would be very surprised to find God. I think this is the best way.

Random

Ozzie said:
I see a monkey. *thinks, "I better have a shave today".*

If you see a monkey, God is that monkey. If you see an aging, unremarkable body containing an addled mind, that is perfectly God: if you have bad posture, that is God having bad posture. Get it? I think you do.

Seriously though, I believe that no connexion with the Divine can be made by looking hither and tither without seeing the divine manifest incarnate in oneself.

Ozzie

Buttercup said:
Hey, I see the same thing! :monkey:

You would be my dream date. I enjoy flirting with chimps (and hamsters). Bunnies are soooooooooooooooo passe!: hamster ::monkey:

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Sunstone said:
Through out the ages, people living in many different societies have claimed to have had a direct, unmediated experience of God. What do you make of these claims? Are the people who make them all deluded? Are they mistaken? Or, do some people, in fact, have a direct, unmediated experience of God?

According to Trent Reznor, sex brings us "closer" to God.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
zombieharlot said:
According to Trent Reznor, sex brings us "closer" to God.

That's a legitimate view. For one thing, sex is capable of producing a deep sense of connectedness to another person, and that sense of connectedness might be very similiar to the sense of connectedness that many mystics report having experienced (without sex).

J. Krishnamurti once said that sex is about as close as most people get to an experience of God.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Sunstone said:
J. Krishnamurti once said that sex is about as close as most people get to an experience of God.

I wouldn't argue against that. I think it's about as close as I'll ever get.